What to do?...

Y

yzinger

Awards
Guys, girls - Hi, my name is Brad. I am new to the site...well, about a month and a half. Tons of great useful information. Too much almost. This brings me to my question.

I have been lifting off and on for years...however I have recently (9weeks now) begun lifting again. I am now trying to hit heavy weights whenever possible. I want to know what I should be doing diet wise and also any other information which would help me grow new muscle, hopefully burn some fat etc...

I am 6foot1 and weigh 225-230lbs. I have a typical "beer belly" but am not overweight anywhere else. I play lots of sports. I know some might think I am lazy asking this question instead of researching the site...trust me i have...but i think to rehash some of this stuff would benefit not only me but mahy other users of Anabolic Minds. So, please post away.

What does my body need prior to and post workout?

How do I eat cleaner?, I eat way to much toast right before bed...but what i am really asking is no carbs, low carbs, no sugar, no white flour based etc..

When should i use mixable protien as opposed to real food sources?

I do not eat vegetables and will not, what can i do?, drink veggies?

...suffice to say I believe I am working my muscles hard enough to induce growth....i think i am failing it in nurtritional regards

Thanks to all who respond.

Brad

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Good advice above. Read a little more then post some specific questions.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I do not eat vegetables and will not, what can i do?, drink veggies?
You should break that habit as soon as possible.

When should i use mixable protien as opposed to real food sources?
Post workout is best, or when your in a pinch for time and cant eat a solid meal. Whole foods are best, in general.

Nice first post, BTW. If you're really dedicated, look into hiring Bobo. Our site admin runs his own nutrition and training consultation services..the price is more than worth it to learn how to do things right the first time.

BV

Y

yzinger

Awards
Thanks mates, I will reply in the am with more specific questions.

Y

yzinger

Awards
Hey guys, last night I purchased some Protein Powder. 28grams per serving. So today after my workout I want to ingest 40-50grams (for a 220lb man)?...I want to do this as soon as possible after my workout?, also, does protien powder break down, i mean if I was to mix up a shake at 7:30am would it still be good approx 4:45pm or would I be wasting my money. Also, going on the assumption i should have 1gram per lb of bodyweight this would mean I need about 220grams per day. Well when should i be using the powder?, i guess I would have to forecast what i am going to eat all day?

...any other thoughts on above?

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, last night I purchased some Protein Powder. 28grams per serving. So today after my workout I want to ingest 40-50grams (for a 220lb man)?...I want to do this as soon as possible after my workout?, also, does protien powder break down, i mean if I was to mix up a shake at 7:30am would it still be good approx 4:45pm or would I be wasting my money. Also, going on the assumption i should have 1gram per lb of bodyweight this would mean I need about 220grams per day. Well when should i be using the powder?, i guess I would have to forecast what i am going to eat all day?

...any other thoughts on above?
You should be consuming the powder after your workout, and get the rest of your daily protein intake from whole foods throughout the day. As far as the shake breaking down and not being effective, I don't know, but there really is no point in mixing it and storing it all day, just mix the powder w/ water at the gym or wherever you are after you workout. I'm sure it'll taste a lot better that way, and there won't be any doubt in regards to its effectiveness.

If you like to snack before bedtime eat something like cottage cheese.

Y

yzinger

Awards
I just re-aqainted (spelling?) with the useful threads for nutrician and now I have another question. The threads talked about pre-workout shake being superior to post-workout...or even drinking it while working out...i mean is this a personal thing or is it backed up by anything...perhaps I should simply keep going post-wkrout for x number of weeks and see how my body responds?....what would be a good number of weeks to wait before making a decision?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hey yzinger,

Honestly bro, you're not going to notice all that much of a difference in a couple weeks regarding the timing of your pre/post workout shake. As long as you get the protien to your muscles, they'll grow.

Personally, I usually use a during-workout shake and then eat a bowl of oatmeal PWO. Sometimes I dont feel like carrying a bottle of protien around the gym so I save it for post. The pre/during/post workout shake is important, but the real factor in making positive gains is ensuring that you're getting the right amount of protien in for the day, and making sure you're eating a balanced meal every 3-4 hours consitently over time.

BV

Y

yzinger

Awards
Thanks alot...so, i guess i need to start counting my protien at every meal?...even forecasting my after workout meals?

should i be eating carbs or protein before my workout, then about 40-50grams post wortkout then a whole meal within an hour
You should be counting protien/carbs/fats every day and striving to achieve a ratio of the 3 that works best for you. 40/40/20 (protien/carbs/fats) is usually a good starting point.

check out www.fitday.com

Last edited by a moderator: