What exercise do you use to train rear delt?

MrDavid7

Awards
I have a really hard time getting mind muscle connection with my rear delt, what exercise do you use to hit it properly?

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I stand facing in against the pec deck and lean my chest against the pad (so I’m not seated like most people do)….I do reverse flies with a weight as heavy as possible but before I feel other muscles taking over….Try the 2 vertical pegs that should be on the inside of the bars.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Seated bent over dumbbell reverse flyes are my go to. I also belive that to be able to prevent the traps from taking the brunt of the work I need to go lighter and more reps and to failure. So i usually do 15-20 reps per set at a minimum.

I also put it in a superset with a trap exercise, and do that first. That way its maybe less likely do engage the traps while doing the rear delt movment. As they are allready fatigued.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Several years ago I realize my Rear Delts stunk, so I decided to do some thing about it, bent over lateral raises have been part of my weekly shoulder workout every time, I believe I have brought them up to a respectable level with this exercise. I do occasionally do some reverse peck decks and or face pulls.

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Seated bent over dumbbell reverse flyes are my go to. I also belive that to be able to prevent the traps from taking the brunt of the work I need to go lighter and more reps and to failure. So i usually do 15-20 reps per set at a minimum.
I do these, minus the light weight.
Just make sure to warm up the rotators good.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
All of these exercises work well for me, provided you are lifting with the rear delt. If you aren’t sure you are feeling them well, stand in front of a mirror with a smaller resistance band and do slower Pullaparts. Try to focus on feeling the tension build there in those muscles as you draw your arms apart to your sides. You can also see them working if you turn to the side and wear a cutoff/tank top.

As you get more comfortable pulling with the rear delt and keeping the lats and traps out of things, try it with dbs, cables or reverse pec dec with more aggressive resistance.

I always like ranges of 12-25 reps per set for 3-4 sets 1-2x a week. They respond well to volume and lower reps usually makes it harder to isolate.

ugsavage

ugsavage

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I think for rear delts, reverse dumbbell fly laying off the incline bench is a big mass builder. Overhead reverse cables fly as well

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Here's my current delt routine. https://youtu.be/FrsV8BZMF0Q Jump to 2 minutes for rear delt exercise information. I like to follow up 4 sets of incline rear delt raises with a drop set to bent over lateral raises. I have a hard time lifting my arms for 5 minutes afterwards.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bent Over Lateral Raises

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer