What Diet For Shoulder Surgery?

haneks

Awards
I'm 50 years old and have only been lifting since age 48. Aside from the fact that I'm having my second rotator cuff surgery next week, I'm in great shape at 177 lbs with about 12%.

I normally eat around 3200 (clean) calories per day while training. In order to minimize the muscle atrophy which is sure to occur with six weeks in a sling and no upper body workouts for three months, what changes would you recommend I make to my diet? Should I back down significantly on the carbs while boosting the protein? I don't want to gain fat, obviously, nor do I want to lose more muscle than necessary. I'm thinking that since I can't even do cardio for the first 10 days or so that I drop the calories down to about 2200, then bring them back up to about 2800 when I start doing cardio, but try to get about 225-250 grams of protein per day instead of the 175-200 I normally get, until I can resume weight training in the third or fourth month.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

shellman

Awards
Haneks,

Eat normal, and after the surgery Do Not Rush to get physcial, a friend of mine had same surgery, and had to have it redone as he did not follow doctors orders. I have several friends that are Docs, the shoulder is key to being in shape and lifting, go light and only add weights after the Doctors OK, as far as the diet that's why I said eat normal, avoid extra protein unless you are walking 4-5 miles per day. Good Luck. Did your Doc say what is making the Cuffs go bad, I am 45 and don't want to have any issues.

haneks

Awards
Haneks,

Eat normal, and after the surgery Do Not Rush to get physcial, a friend of mine had same surgery, and had to have it redone as he did not follow doctors orders. I have several friends that are Docs, the shoulder is key to being in shape and lifting, go light and only add weights after the Doctors OK, as far as the diet that's why I said eat normal, avoid extra protein unless you are walking 4-5 miles per day. Good Luck. Did your Doc say what is making the Cuffs go bad, I am 45 and don't want to have any issues.
Shellman,

I'm with you on the slow, cautious rehab, having already been thru this once before with my other shoulder. They did not offer any opinion as to why I tore the second rotator. I tell you, I'm puzzled because after the first surgery I strengthened my rotator cuffs, religiously, before every weight workout and my first trainer hammered me time after time about proper form and technique, so I'm at a loss as to what went wrong. But after the rehab I'm going right back to lifting, however, I believe I will drop all barbell pressing movements in favor of dumbbells.

shellman

Awards
Haneks,

Good Idea on the barbells only, just make sure to do something that's all that matters, because we all know that after 30 muscle tries to go away if we allow it to. Good Luck with the surgery. Look into a good EMS machine then you can read a book watch the tube and stimulate the muscle to grow and stay toned without danger of ripping, tearing, etc.

Capt. America

Awards
At 50 I had my first RC surgery, they cut me pretty good and a year later I'm still rehab'in. I continued 3500-4500 calories, creatine 2x daily, and 1 or 2 whey shakes daily. Since I couldn't lift I walked EVERYWHERE to keep from gettin fat from all those calories. As soon as the throbbing stopped I started slow running. I also spent more time in therapy than normal cause I was dying to exercise again. Good luck!

shellman

Awards
Haneks,

How goes the shoulder? I maxed 260 on Monday with my 14 year old son spotting me, and I wondered what in the hell at 45 do I need to bench 260, my son said Dad keep going I want to see you get 300!

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ive had my shoulder completely rebuilt twice, I sure feel for ya. I would eat healthy clean calories and try to make this your cutting cycle after you are allowed to do some cardio. You will bounce back fairly quick when you get the ok to weight lift again, I had to wait 9 long months :( Make sure to do the strengthening exercises they tell you to do, they really do work as you prolly already know :) Good luck!!!!! Hang in there!!!!!!! You will be fine!