What are some good college courses in business management

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have an empty spot for an elective, and I'm looking to fill it with a business/management/sales/marketing course. I was wondering if anyone here knew of some good beginner level courses that would be worthwhile.

I don't plan on getting my MBA, but if I can get a few of the beginner course knocked off, it would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

~thesinner

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The management basic courses are always there. Pretty easy stuff.

Since you are in fact associated with a supplement company I think the marketing course would benefit you the most. I'm not saying that supplement companies are all about the marketing either. :D

Also marketing classes are usually a little more fun and free thinking if your into those kinda things.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Consumer Behavior was an interesting marketing class and I enjoyed quantative research methods too...I can't remember what level classes those were though:think:

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
strategic management and negotiation strategies are very resourceful. operations management covers everything from that standpoint and organizational behavior was a good mgt class to learn how to manage certain kinds/types of people/personalities. i enjoyed all of these and use this knowledge in my current workplace.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Org. Behavior...that's the other one that I was trying to think of. That was a great class that you will definitely find yourself applying very often in business as well as your personal life. You can't say that about too many courses!

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
I was a fan of all the classes mentioned so far, especially org. behavior, strategic management, and macro-econ. Can't go wrong with those and an entry level marketing class would be solid too. Those are usually fun classes with good lessons to apply in the real world.

I would avoid things like advertising and accounting classes, unless you specifically want to move into those fields. Especially avoid financial accounting. Hated that class. It's only for bean counters. Which is fine, it just didn't apply to me! Boooooring!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was a fan of all the classes mentioned so far, especially org. behavior, strategic management, and macro-econ. Can't go wrong with those and an entry level marketing class would be solid too. Those are usually fun classes with good lessons to apply in the real world.

I would avoid things like advertising and accounting classes, unless you specifically want to move into those fields. Especially avoid financial accounting. Hated that class. It's only for bean counters. Which is fine, it just didn't apply to me! Boooooring!
Yeah, I took Accounting 1 in high school. I think the only thing I learned from that class was don't become an accountant. :p

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I took Accounting 1 in high school. I think the only thing I learned from that class was don't become an accountant. :p
Exactly. I did note a slight difference between financial accounting and managerial accounting. Managerial accounting had some stuff that you could apply to running a small business or heading up a department within a larger company (estimating, creating budgets, etc.). But that's about it.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Business accounting or Macro-econ.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards