sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thank you for posting that link.

For anyone needing to stock up on Vitamin C Powder, the New Years Sale is now live and you can save 30% off on Vitamin C Powder and all SNS products.

SNS Vitamin C Powder - 500 grams - Normally: 27.99; New Year Sale Price: 19.59 ea. (save 8.40!)

I'll even do a special offer on this that isn't on the website - for anyone that buys 3 units of Vitamin C Powder at the sale price, if you include the words '4th unit of Vitamin C Powder free per Steve', I'll give you a 4th bottle for free.

^^ That absolutely has to be included on the order notes though because the warehouse team has no way of knowing unless you include it.

SNS-NewYear(1)-2023-500x500.png

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
For anyone that is interested, we are having a Flash Sale on SNS Vitamin C Powder.

This deal goes from right now thru midnight January 31st or while supplies last.

SNS Vitamin C Powder - 500 grams each - 17.99 each (no coupon code required)

And as an additional bonus, for anyone that buys 3, we'll give you one free if you include the words 'being sick sucks' in the notes section of the order :)

Vitamin-C-Powder-Rendering-FRONT.png

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone have any thoughts on vit C preventing strength and hypertrophy?

Last edited:
R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone have any thoughts on vit C preventing strength and hypertrophy?

I apologize because I am too tired to write something up or find where I wrote on it before, but I know you are a fan of these guys so here is a good write up: Antioxidants

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I apologize because I am too tired to write something up or find where I wrote on it before, but I know you are a fan of these guys so here is a good write up: Antioxidants
To boil it down then, there's a risk of vitamin C blunting benefits of working out, but without it, the risk of severe covid is there also. Hmmm...

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
To boil it down then, there's a risk of vitamin C blunting benefits of working out, but without it, the risk of severe covid is there also. Hmmm...
As usual I just think it comes down to what things you are specifically looking for and priorities. I just usually don't use them around my training, but I do take some Vitamin C pre when using Nitrates as it helps in combination there and I feel any potential tradeoffs are worth it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As usual I just think it comes down to what things you are specifically looking for and priorities. I just usually don't use them around my training, but I do take some Vitamin C pre when using Nitrates as it helps in combination there and I feel any potential tradeoffs are worth it.
I hear ya.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think that the average person is never going to see any decrease in their workout results from supplementing with Vitamin C or other antioxidants, even around workout time. But just to be 100% certain on it, someone can just space their Vitamin C or antioxidant dose out a few hours away from their workout.

W

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if we’ll ever get a definitive answer on this but I’ve always split up my vit C dose - 500 mg first thing in the AM and 500 again before bed, usually work out around lunch so I try to keep the doses away from my workout time.

I know a lot of people say there’s limited evidence vit C does anything but I just can’t give it up, lol.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not sure if we’ll ever get a definitive answer on this but I’ve always split up my vit C dose - 500 mg first thing in the AM and 500 again before bed, usually work out around lunch so I try to keep the doses away from my workout time.

I know a lot of people say there’s limited evidence vit C does anything but I just can’t give it up, lol.
I'm with you...can't give it up. I think I'll move my C doses to later in the afternoon to avoid messing with my workouts and avoid messing with my b12 absorption.

W

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Maybe a dumb question and very likely overthinking it, but I wonder if it’d make a difference if you just took less on workout days and more on off days. Something like 500 mg as far away as possible on workout days, and then 1500 on off days.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe a dumb question and very likely overthinking it, but I wonder if it’d make a difference if you just took less on workout days and more on off days. Something like 500 mg as far away as possible on workout days, and then 1500 on off days.
I've wondered the same thing...

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I personally believe that its important to be consistent with Vitamin C intake.

I think the whole worry of it having any negative impact on workout results is overblown anyway, but if one does believe that, I think spacing it out from the workout time is fine.

I think that this is an example of one of those things where if every single little thing in someone's regimen were absolutely perfect to begin with, then maybe, just maybe it would diminish results versus perfection - but that's just not reality and I think that we all do things on a daily basis to negatively impact our results more than Vitamin C intake would.

Also, if Vitamin C can help a person not get sick just once per year, I feel pretty certain more muscle would be lost during a bout of sickness than would be ever be diminished from taking Vitamin C in the sense of it negatively impacting results.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One gram a day !!

SNS C.jpg

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Has anyone looked at the data that large doses of vitamin C inhibit b12 absorption in the gut?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I think the whole worry of it having any negative impact on workout results is overblown anyway, but if one does believe that, I think spacing it out from the workout time is fine.

I think that this is an example of one of those things where if every single little thing in someone's regimen were absolutely perfect to begin with, then maybe, just maybe it would diminish results versus perfection - but that's just not reality and I think that we all do things on a daily basis to negatively impact our results more than Vitamin C intake would.

Also, if Vitamin C can help a person not get sick just once per year, I feel pretty certain more muscle would be lost during a bout of sickness than would be ever be diminished from taking Vitamin C in the sense of it negatively impacting results.
Dude, the whole vitamin c slows muscle growth crowd kills me. I see so many ppl skipping meals and doing half ass exercise programs but there also worried that vitamin c is gonna kill there gains. Same for the ppl worried that metformin and berberine or any gda for that matter is gonna lower there igf 1 and kill there gains. Weather they do or do not slow down "gains" there's probably 20 others things that are slowing yiur gains down before you can point your finger at vitamin c lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Has anyone looked at the data that large doses of vitamin C inhibit b12 absorption in the gut?
I've seen it but I'm not convinced, I can't find any study that can definitely say vitamin c prevents the absorption of b-12 for certain. The only 1 I remember that was slightly convincing looked like you had to take a hefty dose of vc at the same time as b12 to slow absorption but even if that is the case it looked like you could just take them separately.

This my be old outdated info, it's not something I read recently and I'm kinda going off memory here so if I'm way off I will have to take your word for it lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've seen it but I'm not convinced, I can't find any study that can definitely say vitamin c prevents the absorption of b-12 for certain. The only 1 I remember that was slightly convincing looked like you had to take a hefty dose of vc at the same time as b12 to slow absorption but even if that is the case it looked like you could just take them separately.

This my be old outdated info, it's not something I read recently and I'm kinda going off memory here so if I'm way off I will have to take your word for it lol
I agree, the data isn't solid. I post the studies I've read later, but I also agree that it could be addressed by simply taking b12 at a separate time. I'm just trying to figure out reasoning and rationale for my own experience with dropping b12 levels.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There are a ton more things that I would worry about causing reduced B12 levels than Vitamin C intake.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There are a ton more things that I would worry about causing reduced B12 levels than Vitamin C intake.
Maybe i should start a new thread for it...would you include your thoughts there if I did?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Maybe i should start a new thread for it...would you include your thoughts there if I did?
I really don't think there's anything to discuss on that topic. It's probably #99 on the top 100 things that could be lowering your b12 levels

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I really don't think there's anything to discuss on that topic. It's probably #99 on the top 100 things that could be lowering your b12 levels
That thread would be in reference to the other 98 things.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Basically I'm just saying you should invest your time in researching other areas. The chance that v-c is going to be the root cause of your problem is probably slim to nill

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Dude, the whole vitamin c slows muscle growth crowd kills me. I see so many ppl skipping meals and doing half ass exercise programs but there also worried that vitamin c is gonna kill there gains. Same for the ppl worried that metformin and berberine or any gda for that matter is gonna lower there igf 1 and kill there gains. Weather they do or do not slow down "gains" there's probably 20 others things that are slowing yiur gains down before you can point your finger at vitamin c lol
Absolutely agree.

You've got Olympic level athletes and coaches touting the benefits of mega dosing Vitamin C - people whose careers and livelihood depends on maximizing performance and results - but then you have some average people worried that taking Vitamin C is somehow going to hurt their gains and results.

And what is especially relevant is that there is no sales agenda for people in the above scenario for anyone to be pushing Vitamin C because its super cheap and no ones really making hardly any money off of it; its just them stating facts on what they do themselves or recommend to their clients.

And great comparison to Metformin/Berberine/GDA's - people can do the mega theory stuff and harp on one possibly drawback, but conveniently ignore the tons of potential benefits from GDA's. On a scale of 1 to 10, if something gives you the positive results of an 8 and let's say the IGF1 side puts you back a 1, you still have a net gain of being a 7 which is better than a zero from not taking it. I hope that makes sense.

I think its important for people to realize that scientific studies are cool and all, but sometimes they're just done to prove or disprove theories and aren't on the level that would translate into the real world hindrance of gains.

There are so many things that people do on an daily basis (myself included) that are going to hurt results more than taking Vitamin C would, and that's a big if to if it even would at all, which I personally don't believe it would anyway. Like you said, missing one meal, missing one cardio session, not getting that last couple reps, not drinking enough water - all of those things are going to hinder results much more than Vitamin C would and none of us are perfect, we all miss things in that department; and anyone that says they don't is lying to themselves. I know even at my strictest and best years ago, there was always room for improvement.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'll be glad to. You're always welcome to tag me in any threads you'd like for me to participate in.

I will say that I have a super busy day today, so I can't promise I'll get back on here today to do it, but I will tomorrow if I don't have time to today.

If you haven't seen the thread I did on MTHFR, you may like that:

A MTHFR mutation reduces the amount of active folate being produced in the body.
B12 requires the active form of folate in order to be absorbed.
MTHFR has been associated with Vitamin B12 deficiency, even in people that take regular Vitamin B12 supplements.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Is there any evidence that someone loses muscle during a bout of sickness? Like a cold/flu?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Is there any evidence that someone loses muscle during a bout of sickness? Like a cold/flu?
I think he was referencing the lost time in the gym.

But also when I’m sick, my appetite goes to just about nothing so it also makes me under-eat quite a bit. Basically just consume whey and whatever I can get down lol. Obviously that’s not conducive to LBM accrual

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lost time in the gym, being weak and lethargic, difficulty eating properly or at all + its always been regarded as being easier for the body to slip into a catabolic state when sick.

Charles Poliquin, one of the few writers I used to really like and enjoy reading back in the old days, talked and had written about that subject quite extensively. He worked with high level athletes and was very adamant about the importance of immune system health in regards to maximizing performance and muscle mass.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Lost time in the gym, being weak and lethargic, difficulty eating properly or at all + its always been regarded as being easier for the body to slip into a catabolic state when sick.

Charles Poliquin, one of the few writers I used to really like and enjoy reading back in the old days, talked and had written about that subject quite extensively. He worked with high level athletes and was very adamant about the importance of immune system health in regards to maximizing performance and muscle mass.
Yeah I agree with the second part but I know too much about extended fasting data and lean body mass is last to go. In fact, I saw a study that showered rebound effect on testosterone and LBM after an extended fast over baseline.

Obviously offer being sick and dehydrated you will be weaker, less full of glycogen,etc. but I’m not sold you “lose muscle”

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah I agree with the second part but I know too much about extended fasting data and lean body mass is last to go. In fact, I saw a study that showered rebound effect on testosterone and LBM after an extended fast over baseline.

Obviously offer being sick and dehydrated you will be weaker, less full of glycogen,etc. but I’m not sold you “lose muscle”
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm not going to debate you on it. (I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm just too busy with the Easter Sale and behind at life on getting label text done for new products that I'm working on to go into an extended debate over it; I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean that as brushing you off or disrespectfully).

The science is there - and I agree its there too on what you said about extended fasting and lean muscle being the last thing to go (but this is more in relation to the average person rather than a muscular one), but the body is in a much different state when sick and battling an infection than when intentionally fasting. As someone with an autoimmune condition, I know this all too well unfortunately.

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think he was referencing the lost time in the gym.

But also when I’m sick, my appetite goes to just about nothing so it also makes me under-eat quite a bit. Basically just consume whey and whatever I can get down lol. Obviously that’s not conducive to LBM accrual

Lean body mass is last to go on people who don't have a large amount of muscle. If your naturally 160lbs and you have put 20 or 30 extra lbs of muscle on your body is gonna dump that extra 20-30lbs first. If it didn't then getting shredded would be as simple as fasting and loosing weight. All the fat would melt off and we would keep all the muscle

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So 150lb skinny Bob might not loose a lot of muscle when he gets sick or fasting. But 220lb muscular Bob is definitely going to loose some of that unnecessary muscle because your body doesn't need that muscle to survive.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lean body mass is last to go on people who don't have a large amount of muscle. If your naturally 160lbs and you have put 20 or 30 extra lbs of muscle on your body is gonna dump that extra 20-30lbs first. If it didn't then getting shredded would be as simple as fasting and loosing weight. All the fat would melt off and we would keep all the muscle
Absolutely agreed. That was what I was thinking too but didn't take time to elaborate - that if it was as easy as fasting and keeping muscle and losing fat, then screw trying to figure out a proper diet, I'd just take 2 Thermagize XT per day and not eat at all (because it curbs my appetite to where I have to make myself eat).

I know for me, with the body type that its hard to gain muscle and easy to gain fat, that my muscle will go first in almost any situation.

So 150lb skinny Bob might not loose a lot of muscle when he gets sick or fasting. But 220lb muscular Bob is definitely going to loose some of that unnecessary muscle because your body doesn't need that muscle to survive.
Yep, absolutely agree. 220 lb. muscular Bob is likely to wind up 190 lb. Bob with a worse body-fat percentage and lowered metabolism due to muscle loss.

I think that a lot of people don't think about how the studies doing on fasting are much more geared towards the average person and its important to note that the people pushing those concepts most of the time aren't even wanting to be muscular themselves. There's nothing wrong with that, to each their own - but many people that are super into anti-aging and longevity see being overly muscular as a detriment anyway.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've just seen it first hand too many times witj myself. IL get sick and loose my appetite for a few days and go from 5 meals to 2 and all the sudden I'm 10lbs lighter in a week. It just happened to me on March 20th - April 1st. Went from 218-206 and my abs looked worse.

If fasting trumped a well thought out structured meal plan for muscle Preservation then Every professional body builder would be fasting during their contest prep.

I don't want to throw fasting under the bus because there's lots of benefits to fasting. It's just not the best way to lose body fat while preserving muscle.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've just seen it first hand too many times witj myself. IL get sick and loose my appetite for a few days and go from 5 meals to 2 and all the sudden I'm 10lbs lighter in a week. It just happened to me on March 20th - April 1st. Went from 218-206 and my abs looked worse.

If fasting trumped a well thought out structured meal plan for muscle Preservation then Every professional body builder would be fasting during their contest prep.

I don't want to throw fasting under the bus because there's lots of benefits to fasting. It's just not the best way to lose body fat while preserving muscle.
Agreed. I'm not anti-fasting at all, I just think its important to understand it in context with one's own individual goals; and also for the purposes of this conversation, to distinguish also that when intentionally fasting, the body is in a completely different mode and situation than when sick with a cold or flu.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've always found fasting to be pretty interesting. Some articles claim it makes your body use up damaged cells and replace them with fresh cells, etc. I accidentally fast on Saturdays sometimes. Last Saturday, I got up around 9am, had coffee, then proceeded to tackle some outdoors projects. Then I cracked a beer and continued on. Next thing I know, it's 8pm and my friends and I are having a burn party at the fire pit. I didn't eat until 10pm and put away around 15 beers! I have a lot of projects this Saturday and it will probably happen again lol!
I'm not sure that counts 😆

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've always found fasting to be pretty interesting. Some articles claim it makes your body use up damaged cells and replace them with fresh cells, etc. I accidentally fast on Saturdays sometimes. Last Saturday, I got up around 9am, had coffee, then proceeded to tackle some outdoors projects. Then I cracked a beer and continued on. Next thing I know, it's 8pm and my friends and I are having a burn party at the fire pit. I didn't eat until 10pm and put away around 15 beers! I have a lot of projects this Saturday and it will probably happen again lol!
Tomorrow evening and Saturday are project days for me this weekend.

If fasting is not eating food and just drinking caffeine and beer all day, I'm not usually for fasting, but you sold me on it, I might have to give it a try again haha :ROFLMAO:😂