u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So the results of a blood test I had done were a bit surprising

Some background :
I’m a 23 year old guy who’s a natural bodybuilder whos been training for about 2.75 years. Before this hormone panel and every other hormone panel I’ve had done I took at least two weeks off from all supplements that affect your hormones except my multi and a ZMA before bed. At the time of the test I was doing a light cut.
My prescription for sleep makes you at least a bit hyperglycaemic and elevates prolactin. I’ve been on this stuff since before I started getting hormone panels done

The results :
- Testosterone was high and outside the normal range but that’s normal
- Estrogen was high and outside the normal range when normally it’s a bit below average
- SHBG was a bit above the normal range which is also normal for me
- LH was inside the normal range and as expected
- FSH however was elevated and above the normal range when usually it’s well within the normal range

so I have a few questions

1. How can you lower SHBG?
Some sources listed supplementing with DIM as something that helps but they were a bit unclear. Can anyone confirm this?
What non-supps related ways are there for lowering SHBG other than getting
Are there any other supplements that lower SHBG?

2. what are some things that can lead to elevated FSH?

3. Can elevated FSH cause anything undesirable?

4. If elevated FSH is a problem then how can I lower it?

Last edited:

redtrek

Awards
  • First Up Vote
My SHBG was above normal range last time. Currently taking boron and limiting coffee... It at least feels like it works. Yet to get a follow up lab though.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How are test levels outside of the normal range normal? Usually the only people who have that are on TRT or self prescribing/using TRT/other Hormones

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My SHBG was above normal range last time. Currently taking boron and limiting coffee... It at least feels like it works. Yet to get a follow up lab though.
yeh I limit my caffeine intake as much as I can. Aside from pre-workout I only usually have caffeine before I go out with friends. My multi has the usual recommended amount of boron in it so that’s covered

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How are test levels outside of the normal range normal? Usually the only people who have that are on TRT or self prescribing/using TRT/other Hormones
the so called ‘normal range’ is from the 2.5% percentile to the 97.5% percentile. The people outside of those values are considered outliers and 5% of the population are naturally outside the ‘normal range’. I guess they’re not defined as being ‘normal’ in that respect but what ‘normal’ constitutes changes from person to person

Last edited:
ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
yeh I limit my caffeine intake as much as I can. Aside from pre-workout I only usually have caffeine before I go out with friends. My multi has the usual recommended amount of boron in it so that’s covered
3mg or less is not enough boron. I take minimum 18mg a day. Increase the boron. Take a long jack extract, which should lower SHBG as well. If you buy Viron from BLR, you get your LJ and boron needs for the day. Some people claim Nettle Root extract lowers SHBG, look into a cheap source for that. Know that if you do lower SHBG you will increase e2, so be prepared for that.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What’s the reason for wanting to lower SHBG? If your test is high, having higher SHBG would be expected, I’d think.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What’s the reason for wanting to lower SHBG? If your test is high, having higher SHBG would be expected, I’d think.

sloppychauncy

sloppychauncy

Awards
Am I the only one that looked at this post and thought “hmm, what a useless fucking thread without any actual numbers!”? Or not?

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You have problems that everyone on this board wishes they had

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
3mg or less is not enough boron. I take minimum 18mg a day. Increase the boron. Take a long jack extract, which should lower SHBG as well. If you buy Viron from BLR, you get your LJ and boron needs for the day. Some people claim Nettle Root extract lowers SHBG, look into a cheap source for that. Know that if you do lower SHBG you will increase e2, so be prepared for that.
ok thanks I’ve got some boron en-route to me now. But 18mg tho? I saw a claim saying that taking more than 15mg a day could be toxic.
Nettle root I already have and as I’ve been cycling OL kingsblood I’m wary about making any other test boosters staples

Oh really? My estrogen’s usually a bit below average tho so I’m not too concerned about it rising a lil bit

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’ve been kinda stressed from work and stuff so I’m hoping SHBG is high because of that

I want to increase my free testosterone to make the most of what I have

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The numbers

Testosterone : 38.7 nmol/l = 1116.185 ng/dL
Normal range : 10-30 nmol/l or ~408-956 ng/dL

Estrogen : 231 pmol/l
Normal range : <190 nmol/l

SHBG : 63 nmol/l
Normal range : 15-55 nmol/l

LH : 4.4 IU/l
Normal range : 2-12 IU/l

FSH : 11.3 IU/l
Norma range : 1.7-8 IU/l

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I drink a **** ton of coffee and my SHBG is 19....

I feel like genetics is a big part of this...you could take Proviron but your "natty"

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
My free test is like 300

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I drink a **** ton of coffee and my SHBG is 19....

I feel like genetics is a big part of this...you could take Proviron but your "natty"
Lucky lad. It probably is and yeh I’d rather avoid that

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I'm in TRT, but have not cycled anything else in about 10 years

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Although it is constantly crossing my mind...especially with TRT

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Although it is constantly crossing my mind...especially with TRT
lol fair enough I’m not even on TRT yet and chucking something else in when I hop on TRT’s crossed my mind too

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
The idea of no PCT is amazing

Old School

Old School