Warning before second RC tear??

Norse12

Awards
Hi
I partially tore my rotator cuff, supraspinatus tendon, in February 2020. Confirmed with MRI. It happened when I flat barbell bench pressed 120kg (265 lbs). A month later I had a spinal hernia which required surgery and a long recovery (4 days in hospital, 10 days in bed at home)
Fast forward, I started lifting again gently in August, high reps, low weight, no barbell only dumbbells. Physiotherapist explained that dumbbells are better for shoulder since I can rotate the joint more freely. I've been working the weights slowly upwards, mostly in 10-15 rep range.
My question is, will I feel some kind of warning before the rest of the tendon tears?
I normally start my push day with dumbbell flat bench press, currently 40kg (90 lbs), then incline press, then shoulder press (some other exercises in-between). When I get to shoulder press, I'm already tired and work at around 25kg. If I start my push day with seated dumbbell shoulder press, my fresh muscles can rep 37.5kg (85 lbs) but then my shoulder is in pain for a week or more afterwards.
I'm really wondering how hard I can push myself without ripping the rest of the tendon.
Starting my push day with flat press, then incline press, then shoulder press, seems to be much better for the shoulder than doing it the other way.
I'm assuming that it's better to use a bit lower weight and higher rep to avoid more tear?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hi
I partially tore my rotator cuff, supraspinatus tendon, in February 2020. Confirmed with MRI. It happened when I flat barbell bench pressed 120kg (265 lbs). A month later I had a spinal hernia which required surgery and a long recovery (4 days in hospital, 10 days in bed at home)
Fast forward, I started lifting again gently in August, high reps, low weight, no barbell only dumbbells. Physiotherapist explained that dumbbells are better for shoulder since I can rotate the joint more freely. I've been working the weights slowly upwards, mostly in 10-15 rep range.
My question is, will I feel some kind of warning before the rest of the tendon tears?
I normally start my push day with dumbbell flat bench press, currently 40kg (90 lbs), then incline press, then shoulder press (some other exercises in-between). When I get to shoulder press, I'm already tired and work at around 25kg. If I start my push day with seated dumbbell shoulder press, my fresh muscles can rep 37.5kg (85 lbs) but then my shoulder is in pain for a week or more afterwards.
I'm really wondering how hard I can push myself without ripping the rest of the tendon.
Starting my push day with flat press, then incline press, then shoulder press, seems to be much better for the shoulder than doing it the other way.
I'm assuming that it's better to use a bit lower weight and higher rep to avoid more tear?
I’m dealing with a shoulder tear currently. I see the orthopedic surgeon Tuesday. Yes lower weight high reps would be safer. Also avoiding stressing the shoulder is also recommended.