ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Haha yup.

I've tried to speak to people about the importance of vitamins right now, and I feel like it's going through one ear, and it the other....SMH
Good for us who want to actually buy it. If they saw the value in it, they would hoard it like toilet paper.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good for us who want to actually buy it. If they saw the value in it, they would hoard it like toilet paper.
It’s kind of a shame though at the same time. How many lives could be saved if more took it in the correct amount (however much that is)?

Last edited:
manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I know. I cant rap my mind around it....one guy I told said "I have a hard time remembering to take daily vitamins..." And he has an at risk person living with him

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Haha yup.

I've tried to speak to people about the importance of vitamins right now, and I feel like it's going through one ear, and it the other....SMH
Yeah, there are many factors at play here. The biggest is that we have a lot of people online who really know NOTHING making these crazy claims about whatever ingredient they think they know something about - including Vitamin C. I mean, a lot of people act like Vitamin C is a cure for things, and it's not. It can be helpful and useful but it isn't exactly a cure. Those people make everyone a lot more skeptical.

Second, bordering on conspiracy theory, we have a lot of money going into drugs and things that man has made to cure things. We see doctors as super smart people, and figure the medical machine knows a lot more than we do (and often they do) and they are saying it isn't useful.

But if you read a lot of articles, you start to realize something. A lot of the articles I'm seeing lately have headlines like, "Vitamin C will not boost your immune system" and they go on to talk about all of the trials that show it to be "ineffective" first - but then they turn around and have to admit that, hey, you can't say there is no benefit because these trials did find that people who were under (insert whatever stress the study had) did significantly decrease their duration and symptoms of cold when on Vitamin C.

Something I learned because this thread set off a new round of research for me is that neutrophils use bleach to kill invaders - yes, the same chemical and obviously in small amounts. And our cells use Vitamin C to protect against the oxidative damage from this bleach. So - this is the basic chemical process that would cause us to need more vitamin C during times of sickness. And this wasn't from a study on sickness - this was mentioned in a study on Vitamin C and Metabolic Syndrome.

Another factor is, people here things like, "Orange juice has a lot of vitamin C" or they have it in their head they can only take 1 pill per day of anything - and you say, "Vitamin C is important" and they think, "Oh, I've tried that, it doesn't work. I used to drink orange juice every day (or took vitamin C at 1 gram a day) and I still got sick."

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, there are many factors at play here. The biggest is that we have a lot of people online who really know NOTHING making these crazy claims about whatever ingredient they think they know something about - including Vitamin C. I mean, a lot of people act like Vitamin C is a cure for things, and it's not. It can be helpful and useful but it isn't exactly a cure. Those people make everyone a lot more skeptical.

Second, bordering on conspiracy theory, we have a lot of money going into drugs and things that man has made to cure things. We see doctors as super smart people, and figure the medical machine knows a lot more than we do (and often they do) and they are saying it isn't useful.

But if you read a lot of articles, you start to realize something. A lot of the articles I'm seeing lately have headlines like, "Vitamin C will not boost your immune system" and they go on to talk about all of the trials that show it to be "ineffective" first - but then they turn around and have to admit that, hey, you can't say there is no benefit because these trials did find that people who were under (insert whatever stress the study had) did significantly decrease their duration and symptoms of cold when on Vitamin C.

Something I learned because this thread set off a new round of research for me is that neutrophils use bleach to kill invaders - yes, the same chemical and obviously in small amounts. And our cells use Vitamin C to protect against the oxidative damage from this bleach. So - this is the basic chemical process that would cause us to need more vitamin C during times of sickness. And this wasn't from a study on sickness - this was mentioned in a study on Vitamin C and Metabolic Syndrome.

Another factor is, people here things like, "Orange juice has a lot of vitamin C" or they have it in their head they can only take 1 pill per day of anything - and you say, "Vitamin C is important" and they think, "Oh, I've tried that, it doesn't work. I used to drink orange juice every day (or took vitamin C at 1 gram a day) and I still got sick."
I have comments on everything you said, but the one I want to echo is the one about the articles. I’ve read a few that straight up contradict its own headline. It’s really disappointing/upsetting to see.

Meanwhile, I’m hitting 9-10g per day right now. I’m in a high risk category (stage 1 pulmonary sarcoidosis) according to my doctor so I’m not taking any chances.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have comments on everything you said, but the one I want to echo is the one about the articles. I’ve read a few that straight up contradict its own headline. It’s really disappointing/upsetting to see.

Meanwhile, I’m hitting 9-10g per day right now. I’m in a high risk category (stage 1 pulmonary sarcoidosis) according to my doctor so I’m not taking any chances.
Haha, I hear that. Well, the most often cited trial showing "vitamin C is ineffective" is the one that showed there was no effect in the average population but significant impact among intensely training soldiers in cold climates. So yeah, if you are in a situation where you are less likely to get sick - Vitamin C won't have an impact. But if your body is under stress, it will. But we're gonna come down on the side of, "It's not helpful to the average person."

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Haha, I hear that. Well, the most often cited trial showing "vitamin C is ineffective" is the one that showed there was no effect in the average population but significant impact among intensely training soldiers in cold climates. So yeah, if you are in a situation where you are less likely to get sick - Vitamin C won't have an impact. But if your body is under stress, it will. But we're gonna come down on the side of, "It's not helpful to the average person."
What was the dose used in that study?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s kind of a shame though at the same time. How many lives could be saved if more took it in the correct amount (however much that is)?
I agree. It is a shame. There is a lot of good out there, that is not a pharmaceutical drug, that people can benefit from, but they won't. They won't because doctors may not know about it, and they themselves don't have the motivation to research, because why research when I have a primary care physician that is supposed to be actively researching, practicing, and experimenting. Having the freedom to to our own testing, and cosuming of vitamins, nutrition, and what not, is vital.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What was the dose used in that study?
I don't remember. It's the famous study with the soldiers in training in arctic climates, etc. It showed that amongst the normal population there was no benefit. Still, I do think the dose was low.

My point was just that the study had no effect in the normal, unstressed population. But that is like taking a healthy person who isn't sick and then saying, "Vitamin C doesn't help people who aren't sick recover any faster." No kidding.

But then that same study did find benefit in the population that was actually under stress and in a position to get sick from the situation they were in. But we discount that because, "Well, they were working hard and typical people don't do that."

In other words, even the studies that find there is no benefit often find a benefit.

I agree. It is a shame. There is a lot of good out there, that is not a pharmaceutical drug, that people can benefit from, but they won't. They won't because doctors may not know about it, and they themselves don't have the motivation to research, because why research when I have a primary care physician that is supposed to be actively researching, practicing, and experimenting. Having the freedom to to our own testing, and cosuming of vitamins, nutrition, and what not, is vital.
The real shame here is that the DOCTORS will fight its use. You could know all about it, show up in the ER with a respiratory issue and INSIST they give you IV Vitamin C and they wouldn't give it to you. All the more reason, IMO, to get as much in your system now before you end up in the ER - you aren't going to get any while you are there. Your best bet is to have it in tow when you show up (although it won't stay in your system long).

I went through this last fall with my 92 year old grandmother. For 18 months I was saying that her constant use of 2-3 grams of acetaminophen/day would lead to liver failure and that we should give her 2-3 grams of NAC daily with the Tylenol to combat it. They thought I was crazy and gave her 1/3 the dose to keep me quiet. At the end of 18 months, she suddenly had liver failure. The Dr's response was to take her off EVERYTHING, including the NAC. I had a stockpile of pills, literally, 20 feet away from her ready to go just for this situation, which I predicted was coming.

The doctor INSISTED it wasn't acetaminophen poisoning and when I asked her if this was the most common cause of liver failure, she flat out denied it. Nothing I could do, my aunt who was in charge chose to listen to the Dr. My grandmother was old and in tough shape so it may have been for the best that way anyway, but it really highlights how you can't get care, even when it has been standard treatment since the 70's as an antidote for your problem.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't remember. It's the famous study with the soldiers in training in arctic climates, etc. It showed that amongst the normal population there was no benefit. Still, I do think the dose was low.

My point was just that the study had no effect in the normal, unstressed population. But that is like taking a healthy person who isn't sick and then saying, "Vitamin C doesn't help people who aren't sick recover any faster." No kidding.

But then that same study did find benefit in the population that was actually under stress and in a position to get sick from the situation they were in. But we discount that because, "Well, they were working hard and typical people don't do that."

In other words, even the studies that find there is no benefit often find a benefit.

The real shame here is that the DOCTORS will fight its use. You could know all about it, show up in the ER with a respiratory issue and INSIST they give you IV Vitamin C and they wouldn't give it to you. All the more reason, IMO, to get as much in your system now before you end up in the ER - you aren't going to get any while you are there. Your best bet is to have it in tow when you show up (although it won't stay in your system long).

I went through this last fall with my 92 year old grandmother. For 18 months I was saying that her constant use of 2-3 grams of acetaminophen/day would lead to liver failure and that we should give her 2-3 grams of NAC daily with the Tylenol to combat it. They thought I was crazy and gave her 1/3 the dose to keep me quiet. At the end of 18 months, she suddenly had liver failure. The Dr's response was to take her off EVERYTHING, including the NAC. I had a stockpile of pills, literally, 20 feet away from her ready to go just for this situation, which I predicted was coming.

The doctor INSISTED it wasn't acetaminophen poisoning and when I asked her if this was the most common cause of liver failure, she flat out denied it. Nothing I could do, my aunt who was in charge chose to listen to the Dr. My grandmother was old and in tough shape so it may have been for the best that way anyway, but it really highlights how you can't get care, even when it has been standard treatment since the 70's as an antidote for your problem.
I agree with you there. I don't really understand why the doctors act like that...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with you there. I don't really understand why the doctors act like that...
I kind of get it. I mean, they probably get A LOT of uneducated people who show up and say, "I read this on the internet" and it's a crazy idea. I'm sure after a while they just discount everything because there are so many crazy ideas and they don't have time for it.

Plus, there is the angle that if they do something that is not "normal" and "approved" and something goes south, they will be questioned and could get in huge trouble. If they are going outside the box, they darned well better be sure.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Yup, I saw that yesterday. I'm very glad I stocked up on several containers from Nutricost, about 2 kilos worth of powder lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yup, I saw that yesterday. I'm very glad I stocked up on several containers from Nutricost, about 2 kilos worth of powder lol
lol I’ve got a ton on the way and plenty here already as well. With most powders coming out of China, I’m a little concerned supply will be screwed up shortly...