Vicious Misc.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wanna say standing ohp as it’s my favorite exercise and I currently can’t do them in my space. However, I’m going with squatting too. It’s the one exercise that I feel affects every other movement I do. What I mean is, if I had stick legs I wouldn’t have leg drive for push days. Also, squatting is something I can throw into any day and feel good about it. I also used to hate squatting and early in my gym days I admittedly never worked legs haha. Times have changed.

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Trap Bar Deadlift 100x over. It hits everything on the body and depending on how you position yourself it can emphasize legs or back.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Trap Bar Deadlift 100x over. It hits everything on the body and depending on how you position yourself it can emphasize legs or back.
Not a bad choice

Reactions: ZOO
ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
This trap bar you speak of, this is something I need to try. 🤔

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Trap bar is a great one. And even obeying the OG rules of not doing other exercises with it (like rows or overhead presses) it really is different based on how you position your hips.

I think benchpress may have become my favorite lift to do. When I first started lifting and realized my long arms don’t make me good at it naturally, I was discouraged that almost everyone could get better at it easier than I could it seemed. But over time with perseverance and practice I’ve come to view it as the most technical powerlift, and I really enjoy that.

But I get the most satisfaction squatting. Like when I am 60 I could hit the safety bar to a high box and leave and still feel great about it, no other work done.

You know what else is a lot of fun? Loading atlas stones to a platform. Over the bar is fine, but there’s something very satisfying on a primitive level to picking up a rock and setting it somewhere else.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Trap bar is a great one. And even obeying the OG rules of not doing other exercises with it (like rows or overhead presses) it really is different based on how you position your hips.

I think benchpress may have become my favorite lift to do. When I first started lifting and realized my long arms don’t make me good at it naturally, I was discouraged that almost everyone could get better at it easier than I could it seemed. But over time with perseverance and practice I’ve come to view it as the most technical powerlift, and I really enjoy that.

But I get the most satisfaction squatting. Like when I am 60 I could hit the safety bar to a high box and leave and still feel great about it, no other work done.

You know what else is a lot of fun? Loading atlas stones to a platform. Over the bar is fine, but there’s something very satisfying on a primitive level to picking up a rock and setting it somewhere else.
I went and checked out a powerlifting/strongman gym in town today and they have a decent number of atlas stones. I've never picked one up, but I can say they're starting to get my interest piqued. I've moved plenty of heavy odd-shaped rocks but never something round like that.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I went and checked out a powerlifting/strongman gym in town today and they have a decent number of atlas stones. I've never picked one up, but I can say they're starting to get my interest piqued. I've moved plenty of heavy odd-shaped rocks but never something round like that.
Watch tutorials! You will tear a bicep or hurt your back if you don’t do it right. And have your hammies warm.

You want to rock the stone back and forth slightly so your fingers are as deep under it as you can, arms directly in the center of the stone & long like a deadlift, SQUEEZE the pecs to crush the stone between your forearms and with braced abs full of air you will do a rounded back straight leg deadlift into the lap. Then you reach arms out to wrap around it at the 10 & 2 o’clock positions and with crushing lats be pulling it into your chest as you triple extend the hips up out of a frontsquat. Eyes up to the heavens and explosively blasting the glutes through as you roll it up the body. You will go onto your toes ideally at the very top. The higher you keep it pinned to the chest, the higher you will be able to load it.

You don’t hold it with biceps, you hold it with lats and pecs (and tacky when you have learned that).

Start light and learn technique!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
this is sooo ghey, but I freaking love doing preacher curls... watching my arms do work is one of the best things in this world for me~!! but if Im sticking to the rules I would say benching is my weakest lift so i would want to work on that if its all i could do.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Follow up question to those that picked squatting
High bar or low bar?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
this is sooo ghey, but I freaking love doing preacher curls... watching my arms do work is one of the best things in this world for me~!! but if Im sticking to the rules I would say benching is my weakest lift so i would want to work on that if its all i could do.
No wrong answers! We do this for our own satisfaction.

Although if you told me cable single-leg kickbacks like the gym bunnies trying to be instafamous, I might view you differently...

Follow up question to those that picked squatting
High bar or low bar?
As low as I can still keep my torso upright. I used to go extremely low bar. It gave me bicep tendonitis every time and eventually screwed up my low back squatting leaned so far over like a good morning all the time. Layne Norton and many other sleeve squatters have gotten damaged backs that way.

When I rehabbed my back I realized all of the old vids of the big multiply guys squatting 1,000lbs+ in suits (except Steve Goggins, who had a very short torso) always had the bar fairly high. And so did many of the raw world record squatters in knee wraps. Everyone using some kind of equipment was staying upright enough to load the gear up for max carryover and also not topple over with huge weights.

You can’t good morning 1,000lbs. But if your legs get big & strong enough you can squat it raw. So that’s when I realized I just needed stronger legs and abs & to stop relying on my low back so much.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No wrong answers! We do this for our own satisfaction.

Although if you told me cable single-leg kickbacks like the gym bunnies trying to be instafamous, I might view you differently...

As low as I can still keep my torso upright. I used to go extremely low bar. It gave me bicep tendonitis every time and eventually screwed up my low back squatting leaned so far over like a good morning all the time. Layne Norton and many other sleeve squatters have gotten damaged backs that way.

When I rehabbed my back I realized all of the old vids of the big multiply guys squatting 1,000lbs+ in suits (except Steve Goggins, who had a very short torso) always had the bar fairly high. And so did many of the raw world record squatters in knee wraps. Everyone using some kind of equipment was staying upright enough to load the gear up for max carryover and also not topple over with huge weights.

You can’t good morning 1,000lbs. But if your legs get big & strong enough you can squat it raw. So that’s when I realized I just needed stronger legs and abs & to stop relying on my low back so much.
Reading your posts is like opening Hyde’s Encyclopedia of Strength

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i dint pick it but i prefer high bar myself. my shoulders cant take that low bar action
Same Here !!

Reading your posts is like opening Hyde’s Encyclopedia of Strength

Hyde is always ready to help and full of information. I for one would like to thank him for that !!

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
High bar here too. I don't think I have the mobility to even try low bar but my balance and longish torso keep it high anyway.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I must use this to squat, it kills my shoulders to reach back these days!
top-squat-image.jpg

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Let’s get some discussion in here.
You already have a rack, bench, barbell and plates.
If you could only have one of each what would it be and why
1)Specialty bar
2) Machine

Go

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Let’s get some discussion in here.
You already have a rack, bench, barbell and plates.
If you could only have one of each what would it be and why
1)Specialty bar
2) Machine

Go
Specialty bar, I have. The Kabuki Trap HD. Machine is trickier because there are a lot of useful ones... but most have a narrow function. I’d likely lean towards something that would help me train around my arm even if it wasn’t the most overall useful. Like pec dec is very helpful right now. But the lateral raise machine is good too since it allows me to train front delts as well... might go lateral machine so I can maintain a decent silhouette. Basically I can’t hold or work any free weight so that’s my reasoning.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, what I chose for my home gym is a deadlift bar and a reverse hyper. Reasoning being that I can transition from my cheap stiff bar to a squat bar at a powerlifting meet easily enough without practice, but the deadlift bar takes more practice for me to get comfy with & changes the weights I can work with more so opted for that. The reverse hyper helps my back out a lot.

If I could have any other machine regardless of cost or footprint (and assuming it came with plates to load it) I would choose an angled legpress. Nothing really adds thigh size like that for me without the back load and it’s one of the only commercial pieces of equipment I truly see as irreplaceable in its function for me. I like it better than the beltsquat even, but that’s a solid choice too. Especially the Westside one with deadlift pins set on it.

I already have a cheap trap bar and don’t use it much. I actually use my axle the most, to make overhead pressing a little harder and for some grip work, but it’s nonessential. I have thought about a SSB because I get results with it, but I don’t have bad shoulders and prefer the straight bar honestly.

If you want to do strongman, you need to get a log and an axle. Both are pretty affordable these days. In strongman you often press and deadlift with the axle, and if it’s a barbell deadlift event it’s often just a cheap stiff weightlifting bar.

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Haha I almost picked the angled leg press too. Gotta love the reverse hyper machine. It’s the perfect compliment to the compression movements like the deadlift or squat. I love the SSB more. Not just because of the shoulders. Everything just works and feels better using that instead. More muscle soreness and less joint ache.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i would want a badass belted squat machine.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
i would want a badass belted squat machine.
Assuming we already have a rack, this is the cream of the crop:

But if it’s real life and money still matters, this one basically does all of those things once you buy spotter arms:

reforged

Awards
Hey all, sorry to just bust in on the thread like this, but wasn't sure where to post this as I haven't really been on any forums since VL went down. Over at VL my username was Deadman 920. I recognize alot of names here, so good to see y'alls posts again. Back on topic tho, a gym I used to lift at like 20 yrs ago had this squat machine that I loved and I haven't found one like it for sale anywhere. It was super simple; add plates, stand under shoulder pads, and flip the lock lever. Closest to real thing I've ever used. Trying to develope a better home gym, so would love to have it now.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey all, sorry to just bust in on the thread like this, but wasn't sure where to post this as I haven't really been on any forums since VL went down. Over at VL my username was Deadman 920. I recognize alot of names here, so good to see y'alls posts again. Back on topic tho, a gym I used to lift at like 20 yrs ago had this squat machine that I loved and I haven't found one like it for sale anywhere. It was super simple; add plates, stand under shoulder pads, and flip the lock lever. Closest to real thing I've ever used. Trying to develope a better home gym, so would love to have it now.
IMG_8872.JPG

reforged

Awards
Definitely more modern version. I like the look of this one. If only money wasn't the issue. Lol

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That is better than several prices I've seen. Thanks guys!
Anytime. Go on the site and set an email alert for when it’s available. Best thing about Titan is that shipping is free. Their quality has really stepped up too.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Power/Leverage Squat are really great too. They’re way more rare in gyms than hacksquats it seems but way more natural to me - and you can do a Viking Press with them too if you like.

We rearranged a bunch of things in our garage and did some spring cleaning last weekend and we are seriously discussing getting a GHR now. That will be the only other machine we’ll have besides the reverse hyper. Floor print and cost are reasonable and nothing really builds the hammies specific to power the way it does for me.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Power/Leverage Squat are really great too. They’re way more rare in gyms than hacksquats it seems but way more natural to me - and you can do a Viking Press with them too if you like.

We rearranged a bunch of things in our garage and did some spring cleaning last weekend and we are seriously discussing getting a GHR now. That will be the only other machine we’ll have besides the reverse hyper. Floor print and cost are reasonable and nothing really builds the hammies specific to power the way it does for me.
I almost ordered the Titan Ghr as I’m getting impatient on waiting for the reverse hyper

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey bro! Good to see you :)

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I almost ordered the Titan Ghr as I’m getting impatient on waiting for the reverse hyper
Patients is one thing I don't have !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

reforged

Awards
Hey guys, hope all are swole. Lol I want to ask everyone's input on the subject of deadlifts!
We all love em, strive meticulously to increase em, and look to them when defining ones true raw power. My question is this; Standard deads, or sumo deads? What do you prefer, and why? Just thought it might be interesting to get people's input and maybe learn something new along the way. Thanks in advance to any who participate!

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey guys, hope all are swole. Lol I want to ask everyone's input on the subject of deadlifts!
We all love em, strive meticulously to increase em, and look to them when defining ones true raw power. My question is this; Standard deads, or sumo deads? What do you prefer, and why? Just thought it might be interesting to get people's input and maybe learn something new along the way. Thanks in advance to any who participate!
My opinion is that it is “best” to use a hex bar :)

reforged

Awards
I considered throwing that in as an option. The one at my gym is a thick steel frame that weighs I believe 130lbs bare? I love it, but figured I'd just throw the sumos n regular deads out there. Lol In truth, I alternate between the 3 depending on what's being targeted that day. Our hex bar has 3 differant sized grips you can use, so it works great for grip also.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Standard deads if you want to build the most strength & trunk thickness. Sumo if you are trying to maximize your total and that is a superior stance for you. But even sumo pullers at a meet need to do some conventional block/rack pulls in training to build the back strength that sumo will fail to build.

I kinda like and hate them both lol.

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol Hyde. Yeah for me I feel that the hex is the overall best option. While it may not target the back muscles as aggressively as conventional deadlifting, rack pulls, etc. it offers much of the same benefits but at far less risk.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lol Hyde. Yeah for me I feel that the hex is the overall best option. While it may not target the back muscles as aggressively as conventional deadlifting, rack pulls, etc. it offers much of the same benefits but at far less risk.
Lol I just hate getting hurt and deadlifts have fucked me up a lot over the years. Bulged discs, strained hamstrings, I’m sure it contributed to my bicep tear, pulled lat inserts, torn QL (that was on a trap bar) and when you tear your calluses deep it messes with training for like 2 weeks! They just kick my ass lol

I do wonder sometimes if I will ever see 700. I haven’t given up hope yet, but it’s not exactly on the wall either.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol I just hate getting hurt and deadlifts have fucked me up a lot over the years. Bulged discs, strained hamstrings, I’m sure it contributed to my bicep tear, pulled lat inserts, torn QL (that was on a trap bar) and when you tear your calluses deep it messes with training for like 2 weeks! They just kick my ass lol

I do wonder sometimes if I will ever see 700. I haven’t given up hope yet, but it’s not exactly on the wall either.
@Hyde What is your current PR ?