vertical jump and sprint speed

luggnut

Awards
i'm recovering from achilles tendonitis and was wondering at age 37 should i expect my speed and jump to return or am i forever slow. i once had a vert of almost 30" now probaly 22" could i get back close to 30"? at my age or is that a unrealistic expectation?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Newton's Gravitational Law states that it will take 85.9% more power to jump 30" versus 22", so probably not, but if you can get full range of motion , you should be able to gain back a good amount of what you have lost.

luggnut

Awards
wow 86% more power... so to gain back half of that up to 26" would take less than 43%?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
It's a square of the distance, geometric progression, a numerical comparison, not in Joules.

22 X 22= 484, 26 would be 676, 30 at 900 comparative units of power, it's a force multiplier the military would say.

briancaswell

Awards
i'm recovering from achilles tendonitis and was wondering at age 37 should i expect my speed and jump to return or am i forever slow. i once had a vert of almost 30" now probaly 22" could i get back close to 30"? at my age or is that a unrealistic expectation?
yes- you can expect to get back where you were, or even better- but you need to get that achilles healed up first- ice it a few times daily, and rest it. Also (important), dorsiflex your foot, and scrunch your toes. do this as many times as you can, daily. It will feel really weak at first, but this will help in strengthening the area, and eventually it will heal. I had achilles tendonitis for a year and a half, and my injury healed in three weeks when someone told me to do this.

As for increasing your verticle, the best thing to do is jump. Practice jumping at the rim. Start three steps out, run and jump (do this three separate times), then go two steps out, repeat, drop step and repeat, and then get directly under the rim and jump three times. Do this from the left, center, and right. Focus on exploding w/ your hips, getting a good arm swing through the shoulder, and getting full extension w/ the ankle. Do this one or two times a week and you will have a better verticle than when you started.

mklfe1

mklfe1

Awards
This is my first post so try not to be too hard me guys, lol. I'm 38 and had an ACL repaired in college from hoops. I was able to get my vertical back to 40 plus and maintain it with constant plyo's, squats, leg press, calf work and jumping rope. I like to do some plyo's after cardio and sometimes jump rope for 1 minute in between leg sets. That has worked for me. Box jumps, broad jumps, medicine ball toss ups, and sprinting from one sideline to the other 8 to 16 times helps sprint speed for me. Hope this helps. Consistency is key.
http://http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=533046&imageID=262117969&Mytoken=700B54F2-4FE9-61B1-9FC8DD2B49E17C7271309126

luggnut

Awards
40 plus vertical at 38 that is blowing my mind. But i feel like i developed tendonitis/bursitis because of being over 35 and still training with plyos and sprints while playing bball and football once a week. seems like too much for me at my age. i always did the plyos and ball 10 years ago and stayed consistent with them over the years and i guess age caught up with me. i hope when i recover from my injury i can start back but not as frequent with the plyos and ball.

mklfe1

mklfe1

Awards
I get a little tendonitis myself ever so often. It's a pain in the you know what. Playing once a week might be a good idea, the joints get a little stressed out at our age. I was thinking of trying Cissus RX by USP Labs, heard good things about that helping with tendonitis. You are fortunate that it's only tendonitis and not a tear. Not many people recover from that very well. I don't think it's unrealistic for you to get back what you had before. Keep me posted on what happens.