Venison/ Wild Game

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
Early bow season is upon us and the next few months are going to be all about filling the freezer. So what are some of the favorite venison recipes out there? Looking to get more creative with it this year. Bulking, cutting, anything venison or wild game.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
My favorite is chopping up some really fatty bacon and frying that up, then adding some ground venison to the bacon and cooking it like so. And then adding some garlic and onion powder or even sautéing onions in the bacon grease before adding the venison. Salt to taste if it needs it and boom, Delicious bulking meal.

Bonesaw93

Awards
New to the boards so don't have enough posts to post links yet. I have a few good ones that I'll post when I get up there. I love venison.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
New to the boards so don't have enough posts to post links yet. I have a few good ones that I'll post when I get up there. I love venison.
Much appreciated. I was starting to think nobody else hunted on here.

Bonesaw93

Awards
I'm always on the lookout for more game recipes (rabbit, duck/goose, deer, boar, etc) I'll throw some more up as I come across them.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
Much appreciated. Seeing that bacon wrapped loin makes me sad Im all out of tenderloin. Last year I took em straight off the deer and fried em up. Absolutely delicious.

I don't have to many exact recipes because I kinda cook like my mom used to, just by taste and what my gut tells me haha but I made some awesome venison fajitas the other night.

Cut up a pound of bacon and fried that up, then sautéed a whole sweet onion and a mix of red, yellow, and orange peppers with the bacon. I threw about a tablespoon of brown sugar on all of that. Then I tossed in a couple pounds of ground venison and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil to keep it moist.

Cooked that till brown and added a little salt and tabasco sauce for a little sweet and spicy contrast.

Put it on big tortillas, added some shredded sharp cheddar and gorged myself.

Bonesaw93

Awards
That sounds incredible...I have a couple pounds of stew meat and a tenderloin left...gonna have to try that.

Also very surprised more people don't go for game meats. My instate hunting license is $25 and I can come home with a crap ton of meat. Butcher isn't too expensive either if you want it done for you.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
Yeah its a helluva lot cheaper. And way leaner. My instate gun license was 24 bucks, 2 bucks a bullet. A whole deer depending on size is well over 50-100 pounds of meat and sometimes even more. Just can't be squeamish.

Biggest expense is the cost of a rifle/shotgun. I have had rifles since I was a kid but once you acquire one thats really all you need.

I butcher my own but getting the silver skin off is a bitch. I gotta figure out an easier way to do it.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Most of my red meat diet is deer meat. I love it. Here is a great slow cooker recipe to use for some stewed shoulder meat.

2 lbs of deer stew meat
1 large onion chopped
2 tbsp of oil
4-6 cups of beef broth
1-2 bell peppers cubed
Mushrooms are an option
Paprika, salt, and pepper to taste

Mix in the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. Serve over egg noodles, rice, or potatoes. Life changed.

jimmyjusa

jimmyjusa

Awards
  • Established
I processed my own deer this year and made some pepperoni/meat sticks. Did ground venison with bacon added for fat content to get closer to 80/20. And one go to recipe I do is taking some loin and cutting it into medallions, hammering it thin and making home made chicken fried steak, sometimes with ritz crackers as the breading. Delicious