Using PHs/AAS in depleted state: thoughts on this...

Lakevillethor

Awards
Gentlemen,

I got back from mexico (honeymoon) weighing about 175 --- which means I lost about 8 pounds over the course of a week in Puerto Vallarta --- a lack of food, a lot of cardio , etc made this possible. Anyway, I wondered what would happen if I was to use PHs/AAS at this light of a weight. Since my body is going to rebound anyway, putting on a lot of lean tissue at this light of a weight, I thought that the gear would help this, making the gains ever leaner. It's like taking one step back(losing the weight), then taking 5 steps forward when you add the gas with the additional food that I lacked in mexico. Here's the theory I pondered:

As many of you know, after you finish dieting, you bounce back by putting on the leanest muscle at this stage of your bulking. You start adding more bodyfat after you have gotten back to the setpoint that you were at previously. For me, this means that I would gain back the leanest amount of muscle (and least amount of fat) from 175 until I got back to about 183 which is approximately my setpoint. However, when you add the gas in there, you will be even leaner at 183 (aside from that, the gear will help me go well beyond that natural threshold of 183) then if you did not use it.

Many will say that this is a waste of gear as you're going to gain the weight back anyway. I say it isn't because you can get back to that weight so much leaner than if you did not use it. For me, it's all about quality mass. SO, if you're looking for the leanest mass, I think this type of cycle may have some use.

I would like to hear others comments on this:

pu12en12g

pu12en12g

CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
Awards
  • Established
IMO, it would depend on how much strength you lost.

The argument can be made for taking androgens under almost any condition (an example would be the questionable prescription of Methyltest for Hypogonadism), but to get the best bang for the buck, common sense dictates that we take them on a calorie surplus after a plateau in strength and/or size.

Many people like to take androgens on a cutting cycle "because the pros do it". Well newsflash.. 99% of us are not pro's at a competition level. This fails to compute with many people.

So in your scenario, your idea makes sense, BUT it would make ever MORE sense IMO, to clean bulk to around 190 or until you reach a noticable strength/size plateau and then stimulate your appetite and start the androgen.

Lakevillethor

Awards
I would also like to comment that I majorly jacked up my shoulder in the last two months with two seperate injuries. The first occured when I decided to dips (hadn't done them in about 2 years). After I did them, on the following week when I tried to do flat bed bench for chest again, my shoulders were killing me. Since that time, almost two months ago, I haven't been able to flat bed bench because it just kills my shoulders -- however, I can do incline. I would STRONGLY encourage people to not do dips.

Thus, on Monday, three days ago, I was doing incline. If I go higher than 315 I usually get a spotter as it is an akward motion taking the bar off the rack (it is kind behind your head). So, I am being stupid and have 335 on and don't use a spot. When I took the weight off the rack, I think my should temporarily dislocated my shoulder as I heard a small popping sound -- not terrible where pain set in but a noticeable sound. Being even more retarded, I did the set anyway. Holy **** does that **** hurt now.

Yes, i am an idiot.

Lakevillethor

Awards
IMO, it would depend on how much strength you lost.

The argument can be made for taking androgens under almost any condition (an example would be the questionable prescription of Methyltest for Hypogonadism), but to get the best bang for the buck, common sense dictates that we take them on a calorie surplus after a plateau in strength and/or size.

Many people like to take androgens on a cutting cycle "because the pros do it". Well newsflash.. 99% of us are not pro's at a competition level. This fails to compute with many people.

So in your scenario, your idea makes sense, BUT it would make ever MORE sense IMO, to clean bulk to around 190 or until you reach a noticable strength/size plateau and then stimulate your appetite and start the androgen.

It's funny. I didn't lose a lot of strength until I lost the last 5-6 pounds. My strength was remaining pretty well before the wedding when I lost about 15 pounds total. The first 8 or so pounds came off with very little strength loss. A lot of this has to do with the fact that I was jumping rope I think as a means to cut fat (I think anyway). However, when I came back from my honeymoon, having lost an additional 8 pounds or so, I was weak as all hell.

-AT

Grant

Awards
  • Established
Most people dnt use androgens on cutting cycles "because the pros do".... They use them because it mininmizes muscle loss on a calorie deficit. WHy would you want to work hard for muscle and then loose some when you dont have to?