Update on Using Isocort.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Just got back from the Dr.'s and my testis are great it looks like doing the Isocort has made a big difference in my labs across the board. The only thing that stayed the same was my low cortisol levels still between 9 to 10 doing a morning test.

My Dr. said he wants me to hold off taking anymore Armour he said my Thyroid test came up from the last ones. I have only been the max dose of isocort for 12 days and the blood test was 3 weeks ago so he feels things could be even better. Three office visits ago he did not believe in Adrenal Fatigue now he is up on all of it this is what I like about him. You show him something and if it is good like the book Adrenal Fatigue I showed him. He will dig into this and come around.

I am shocked my Total and Free T levels only came down to what they were before starting Isocort. Yet I am doing a lot less T. I have cut my dose from 64 mgs down to 41 mgs every 3 days. And my Total T came down from 1359 to 909 range 262 to 1598 ng/dl.
Free T came down from 33.5 to 25.7 range 8.8 to 27 pg/ml.
DHEA-SO4 is up from 302 to 492 range 80 to 560 ug/dl
Progesterone is 0.457 down from 0.73 range 0.27 to 0.90 ng/ml.
Pregnenolone is 21 was <20 range <20 to 150 ng/ml
IGF-1 is way up from 125 to 210 range 75 to 228 ng/ml.
Glucose fasting is up 107 from 65 range 65 to 140 mg/dl.
Thyroid Microsomal 10.2 range <35 Iu/ml.
Thyroglobulin <20 range <40 Iu/mL.

Alkaline Phosphatase is low 23 test was redone range 40 to 150 Iu/L not sure what this means.

So I am to stop the 45 mgs of Armour and stay on the Isocort and keep my T and HCG dose the same. In 60 days I go back in for testing.

Today this was posted by Dr. Marianco in a reply to the above at a different site.

DHEA will increase IGF-1.

This is why I would treat adrenal fatigue first - which increases DHEA production - before I would consider growth hormone replacement therapy since the low IGF-1 level may instead represent adrenal fatigue reather than growth hormone deficiency.

Hydrocortisone at sub-replacement doses (i.e. less than or equal to 20 mg oral hydrocortisone a day in most people - some people need less) generally (with exceptions) has no side effects when given multiple times a day, other than the effects increased stomach acidity, nausea, diarrhea - while it is not yet absorbed. Some people need less than 20 mg a day.

Treatment of adrenal fatigue is a passive treatment. It takes time and the treatment to allow the adrenals to rest and recuperate from stress.

When adrenal fatigue is successfully addressed - and low blood sugars come back to a normal range - often insulin resistance/diabetes becomes uncovered. Insulin resistance/diabetes tends to increase fasting blood sugars. I would suspect insulin resistance if the blood sugar is greater than about 102.

Adequate thyroid hormone is necessary to allow HCG to increase testosterone production maximally. Thyroid hormone stimulates testicular steroid hormone production - including testosterone.

When a person becomes hypopituitary as a result of a head injury, the question I would have is does the person have panhypopituitarism - i.e. have multiple hormone deficiencies - such as low ACTH leading to low adrenal function, low TSH leading to hypothyrodism, low LH leading to hypogonadism, etc. In this case, multiple hormone replacement therapy is needed.

DHEA helps reduce insulin resistance.

SHBG usually is low if there is insulin resistance. Low SHBG may result in high Free Testosterone.

Free Testosterone is a tricky test to for making clinical decisions. Generally, the tests for free testosterone are not reliable. Free Testosterone can also be normal even with hypogonadal total testosterone. At this time, I prefer using total testosterone as the indicator for determining the adequacy of testosterone replacement.

With thyroid hormone replacement, it is important to base the dose on the clinical response as opposed to only lab testing. Improvement in hypothyroid symptoms, while avoiding the condition of hyperthyroidism is the goal. Symptoms of hyperthyroidism are numerous including tachycardia, anxiety, atrial fibrillation, sweating, insomnia, frequent bowel movements, etc.). There are people who can tolerate only small amounts of thyroid hormone without going into hyperthyroidism. Since some of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism are potentially lethal, care in treatment is necessary. It is important to keep in consultation with one's physician.
Any statement I make on this site is for educational purposes only and is subject to change. It does not constitute medical advice, does not substitute for proper medical evaluation from physician, does not create a doctor/patient relationship or liability. If you want medical advice, you will have to make an appointment. Thank you.

And this is my reply.

DHEA will increase IGF-1.

Adequate thyroid hormone is necessary to allow HCG to increase testosterone production maximally. Thyroid hormone stimulates testicular steroid hormone production - including testosterone.

My Dr. feel with my Thyroid were it is now adding Armour I will have to raise my dose of T and HCG back up. I don't understand this. Here is what he tested.
FT1 was 7.07 range 6.33 - 12.40ug/dl
Free T4 was 0.98 range 0.71 to 2.23 ng/dl
T Uptake was 1.00 range 0.69 to 1.41 units
T3 total was 1.16 range 0.58 to 1.59 ng/ml
T3 Free was 2.87 range 1.71 to 3.71 pg/ml
T4 total was 7.07 range 5.0 to 12.0 ug/dl
TSH was 2.5582 range 0.35 to 4.94 uiU/ml

And looking at the IGF- 1 tests I don't see it here is what he did.
IGF Binding Protein-3 (IGFBP-3) was 2.8 OUT OF RANGE range 3.0 to 6.6 mg/L
IGF-11 was 699 range for my age 62 was 414 to 1248 ng/mL
What is this it's not IGF-1 I did not have this copy when I posted this my wife got on her way home from work.
My IGF-1 on my last test was 125 range 75 to 228 ng/ml
I have no idea how my levels went up because the same test was not done or was it.
Phil