UFC Lightweights

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Am I the only one that thinks that a tournament would be an awesome way to generate more buzz for the lightweights. There are some really good fighters in this division (Sherk, Yves, Fisher, Stout, etc.) and I would love to see a GP style tournament at one the upcoming PPV.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Might as well just give the crown to Sherk now!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True dat, Sherk will dominate that division. Send Gomi, Ludwig, Uno and Lil' Evil on over to make it competitive, but Sherk would still win it all, I think.

Penn could fight lightweight.
If Bang and Kid were in the UFC, they would be among the fan favorites for their aggressive style.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
True dat, Sherk will dominate that division. Send Gomi, Ludwig, Uno and Lil' Evil on over to make it competitive, but Sherk would still win it all, I think.

Yeah, it's basically going to be Sherk's division. If he doesn't stay champion until he retires, it'll be because he got sloppy.

I will say that I'm pretty impressed with Fisher and Guillard, though.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Dount we'll ever see tournaments in the UFC again, at least not on US soil. All the atheltic comissions state that a fighter must have at least 30 mins before his next bout so a tournament format won't work. Other promotions get away with tournaments since they take place on indian reservations but UFc won't be doing that and risk revoking being sanctioned.

tattoopierced1

Dount we'll ever see tournaments in the UFC again, at least not on US soil. All the atheltic comissions state that a fighter must have at least 30 mins before his next bout so a tournament format won't work. Other promotions get away with tournaments since they take place on indian reservations but UFc won't be doing that and risk revoking being sanctioned.

interesting... a local organization does tournaments alot, Hook'N'Shoot. i'll have to ask the promoter about it, cause I've not heard that one.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I swear that I recently heard that he was coming back down to lightweight...I'm pretty sure he was lightweight up until about the time he beat Hughes.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Nope, Sherk has fought welterweight his entire career.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nope, Sherk has fought welterweight his entire career.
He must be talking about Penn. Although I doubt Penn will come back down to 155. I think in his mind its not enough of a challenge. I'd love to see Josh Thomson against Sherk. I'd put my money on Thomson. Thomson needs some exposure, he has serious skills and potential. He was dominating Yves until that ridiculous flying shin kick. Thomson/Kid Yamamoto was a good fight at Shogun until it ended prematurely due to a groin strike. UFC's lightweight division is pretty thin. I'd rather see Sherk go to Pride and fight Gomi, Kawajiri, Hansen and others.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was referring to Penn.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Whoops, my mistake on Penn.

Thompson is good, Fisher is good, Guillard is good, but I just don't see anyone being able to beat a Sean Sherk that brings his A game. The guy is a wrecking ball. Even at 170, there are really only two guys who can beat him.

SHSUStudent

Awards
Don't count Yves out either. I know he had a terrible night against Hominick, but the guy has skills. In his two fights before the Hominick fight he went to a split decision with Joachim Hansen and armbar'd Dokonjonosuke Mishima, two great fighters with amazing records and credentials.

I trained in his gym for a few months and the guy is amazingly good. It's cool when you get to see just how good worldclass fighters are in real life and actually get to roll with them a bit.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I think Guillard will suprise everyone... he's got alot of natural talent and will be the one to beat. I expect him to blow up real soon...

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love watching Yves fight. Doesn't he call his style "Thug-jitsu"?

Yeah, Guillard looks to be very promising. He is just so quick and explosive. I love watching guys who are explosive b/c you never know what to expect.

SHSUStudent

Awards
I love watching Yves fight. Doesn't he call his style "Thug-jitsu"?
Yeh, he does, lol.

And Alexander: Have you seen the Yves v. Thomson fight? That was one of the most out of no-where KO's I've ever seen.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Thomson was pretty much dominating the fight, and he was fighting a bit ****y, and bam highlight reel material. Have you seen Thomson vs. Kid Yamamoto? Good fight, got stopped due to groin strike. I think Thomson can do what St. Pierre did to Sherk. It would me a much closer fight, but I think Thomson could stay on his feet and pepper Sherk.

size

Awards
  • Established
Jens Pulver is returning to the UFC to fight in this weight class in which he previously defeated BJ Penn. He is a great addition for the UFC.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've seen him in some pretty good fights. His Pride fight against Gomi is one that comes to mind. Talk about two guys throwing down!

size

Awards
  • Established
I've seen him in some pretty good fights. His Pride fight against Gomi is one that comes to mind. Talk about two guys throwing down!
That was an excllent fight. Pulver is an exciting fighter.

I viewed the latest fight by Ken Florian. His victory was very controlled and impressive over a solid Stout. Nice to see more lightweights.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Florian does not look like a fighter, but he sure as hell is.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
One of the writers over at Sherdog picked Kenflo to roll through the lw division. Don't know if agree with that.

SHSUStudent

Awards
One of the writers over at Sherdog picked Kenflo to roll through the lw division. Don't know if agree with that.

When you have razor blades for elbows anything is possible ;)

SHSUStudent

Awards
I believe Florian referred to them as Ginsu's after the Leben fight.

That gash that he put on Karalexis was pretty damn nasty too, looked like his nose was about to fall off.

Still in shock at how easily he beat Stout the other night. One would assume that training with GSP would do something for his takedown and submission defense.

Hats off to KenFlo.

But with that being said I don't see him winning the belt anytime soon, 155 is freaking stacked.

stumbras

Board Supporter
Awards
sherk rules.........
at least his body looks like bodybuilders

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Female Fitness 1
Aleksandar37 MMA 8