Trying to stay fit in Covid times

Tdurden032

Tdurden032

Awards
Long time lurker and first time poster - with young kids and limited gym options in face of Covid, it’s been tough to stay fit. I’ve been trying to keep some bulk and just get in some HIIT fitness, but it’s been tough sledding. I’m also trying to stick to Keto diet to shed fat, so being lean is working fine, I just don’t want to lose my bulk - any advice on supplements or workout routines at home? Thanks in advance!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Are you stuck at home and not able to go to work? Or are you working but forced to go straight home cause all businesses in your area are currently closed? I can share what has helped me through this. And I'll give you some details. I did take much of april basically off, not working out more than once a week at best. probably just mental struggles of dealing with covid, then planning a small covid wedding with my wife back in May.

Dietary:
We food prep every sunday for the entire week. so I have 10 tuperware type containers in the fridge sunday night with all of my breakfasts and lunches for the week already made. We could dinner together every night and cook healthy.

Supplements: I use modern BCAA+ flavored powder in a 24oz hydroflask every morning at work that I sip from around 7am till 10am. I try to refill it with regular water at least once, if not twice a day. I take some sorta of male-focused supp as well. Either tribulus, horny goatweed, or something of that nature and arginine. I take fishoil when my joints are sore but should be more religious about it.

workout: I have been using the runkeeper app and told my self I'm "accumulating" miles. I'll try to run a 1.5 mile warmup 4x per week at home (been irregular with that) because it's "something" before I workout.

at home I do have a squat rack we borrowed from our gym on my front porch so I'm lucky. With that, I do basically one main lift (either power or oly) and then I write a wod for that day that compliments the lift and I try to change the time domain each time. If today I do a 20 minute wod, then tomorrow I'll probably do a 9 minute wod, or a 3minute + 3min rest + 3min wod.

ONe wod that only required a kettlebell
10 air squats
9kb snatch right arm
10 push ups
9 kb snatch left arm
10 minute amrap

this one only required a jump rope:
100 double unders
21 burpees
75 double unders
15 burpees
50 double udners
9 burpees
for time

Another you could do is set an EMOTM timer. mark off 25 yards from your starting point

15 minute EMOTM
50 yard sprint
max effort burpees
count total burpees after you're completed, hitting that 50 yard sprint at the beginning of every minute.

if you don't have any equipment you can mix up the emotm approach with a million other things.
EMOTM
10 burpees
max air squats

etc etc etc

good luck man, hope anything here helps.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So long as youre eating enough, you shouldn't ahve too much of an issue keeping size (obviously unless you went from a pile of gear to nothing). Stick to simple stuff that you can squeeze in anytime you have a few spare minutes... pushups, pullups, basic band exercises, etc.

Something to do with young kids is to get a workout in at the park or playground... theres loads of guys that do basically nothing but bodyweight work and are in phenomenal shape. Diet is really the key though. After that, its all about just getting enough of a challenge to keep your muscles ready

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have a buddy who will put a bucket on each end of a broom stick and rep out some presses or floor presses, or have his 10 year old sit on his back while he does push ups. if you get creative you can find some resistance training here and there. grab a dip belt for $25, strap on some weight for pull ups. or put something in your lap and do dips between chairs etc

E

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pushups, air squats, and pull ups are your friend and are easily done at home. Buy a weighted vest or something if needed too.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Long time lurker and first time poster - with young kids and limited gym options in face of Covid, it’s been tough to stay fit. I’ve been trying to keep some bulk and just get in some HIIT fitness, but it’s been tough sledding. I’m also trying to stick to Keto diet to shed fat, so being lean is working fine, I just don’t want to lose my bulk - any advice on supplements or workout routines at home? Thanks in advance!
Ditch the keto, carbs are muscle sparing. Carbs don't make you fat, eating too many calories makes you fat.

I'm doing high protein, moderate to high carb, low fat right now. Down 20lbs in 45ish days. Not loosing any strength or muscle. In fact I've actually been regaining some strength.

No weights?

Pull ups, lots of pull-ups
Uphill sprints
Farmers walks, find something heavy you can grab in each hand and start walking.
Handstand push-ups
Single leg squats

Maybe invest in some adjustable dumbells.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Explosive work will for sure be your best bet when you have limited/no weights. Jumps, sprints, etc require no equipment or real time to setup.

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Simple and Sinister KB program or The Quick and The Dead are pretty good.