Trench's Tests...

Trench

Awards
So I'm going to do my very first workout log! Yay!

Background on me: I was always a skinny boy in highschool at 6'3 and 120 lbs. I got all the way up to 185ish in about 3 yrs time. I been stuck there too ever since. I tried all sorts of new things. Eating only potatoes and burgers... cakes... milkshakes... yum. Couldn't gain anything. Tried timing myself with a stopwatch for exactly 2 minute rests in between sets. I did 4 sets of 4 exercsies of each bodypart even! Until about 2 weeks ago. I started reading on Dogg Crap which I am sure many if not all of you know about. So... thats my workout!

I will be doing DC style and logging it for 2 months to see if I gain any strength and//or size from it because Im lacking big time.

So on to the other great stuff you wanna know.

Weight: 188
Height: 6'3

I will be eating oats, brown rice, yams, and pasta for carbs
I will be eating tuna, turkey, and chicken for protein.

k... I did the first say today. And logged my first workout ever!

I did the extra thing for chest since its slacking...

Sunday:
Chest-incline bench press- 165 11-4-3
Chest2-flat dumbell press- 55 8-4-2
Shoulder-barbell press behind the head- 95 7-3-2
Tricep-reverse grip benchpress- 115 7-2-2
Back W-assisted pullup- 90 8-3-2
Back T-deadlift- 165 8-4-2

Notes: I am not used to 1 set or 1 exercise per bodypart. I feel uncomfortable that I didn't hit all the areas enough but I am going to do it DC way, not my way since my way hasn't seemed to work so well. I am VERY defined right now but I can't lift crap as you guys can probably tell. I did not feel much tricep doing the reverse grip benchpress because I have never done that before. The Chest stretch was awful but good feeling. It was actually sore for the next 20 minutes. I did not do any static holds because I forgot about them because I was focusing on taking deep breaths and doing the stretches lol.

Feel free to critique anything because I know it probably owuld be beneficial to me and all the others reading this if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,

-Trench

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Good start, will be watching and good luck! Don't worry about the weight dude, everyone here started small, even if they don't want to admit it!

Trench

Awards
What I find really weird though is that my body looks pretty damn good to be as weak as it is. Anyways, I do the 2nd part tomorrow. Does anyone know where I can get like a video or something on how to properly perform the stretches and maybe on how to perform the reverse barbell grip tricep exercise. My back and shoulders are the 2 parts that are pretty sore right now. Everything is fine feeling.

-Trench

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Post your diet as well, as this is usually the culprit when people say they cannot put on weight.

Trench

Awards
Diet on off day:

k, heres what I have eaten and will eat later on today. I take my lunch in a big ice chest to work lol.

1:
3/4 cup egg whites (liquid carton stuff)
2 toast
half of container of blueberries

2:
tuna can
2 scoops raw oats(28x2g carbs)
half container of strawberries

3:
not sure how much, plastic container I got full of whole wheat pasta with garlic//tomatoe sauce
tuna can
bananna

(I havent yet but will for my next 3 meals today)

4:
cytogainer (4 scoops) weight gainer shake
2 slices whole wheat bread

5:
fruit oat bar
sandwich bag with 1/4 full of peanuts
tuna can... lol

6: I will finally be home for this meal lol
2 or 3 chicken thighs (depends how hungry I am)
can of corn
can of green beans

And thats how my diet was today. Take note that I cooked a pot full of brown rice and a pot full of whole wheat pasta on my off day from work.

Any suggestions, comments? I need to know to help me! thanks.

-Trench

p.s. I know too much Tuna. Its easiest thing I can eat though. Just open a can and pop in my mouth lol. If you guys got any other suggestions for quick cooking meats, tell me by all means. Thanks agn.

Beebs

Awards
Tuna is great, but I'd be worried about mercury. Have you thought about precooking some chicken, or maybe bringing deli meat?

Trench

Awards
Tuna is great, but I'd be worried about mercury. Have you thought about precooking some chicken, or maybe bringing deli meat?
I got no idea how much deli meat I would need to get at least 20g of protein out of.

Chickenwise... I tried. Oh man, I tried. My electric grill must suck because I tried my best to cook some chicken thighs yesterday and I only cooked 3... Wow, I ended up burning the outside terribly and the inside was pink and raw... errr. So I havn't had too much good luck with cooking chicken.

Is there a chicken you can put in oven or something?

-Trench

Trench

Awards
OK. Day 2 was today!! All I got to say is DAMN! I am pretty sure I wasnt doing max intensity in my other workouts. I AM STILL NOT TO MAX INTENSITY on this yet either. Mainly because I noticed on the stretching part that I could have went longer when I quit early. I will try to improve that next time.

So on to the workout. Don't laugh... I suck lol. Oh yeah, and I added traps because I have seen some people who do DC without doing traps and they have small little 5yr old traps. They may think their pretty big, but mine are already HUGE so I'm not going to decline them.

Tuesday:
Bicep-standing barbell curl- 75 8-4-2
Trap-dumbell shrug- 90 10-5-3
Forearm-hammer curl- 32 11-3-2
Calf-standing calf raise- 200 12-15 sec negs
Ham-seated leg curl- 90 10-4-2
Quad-barbell squat- 155 20 in a row!!

Notes: Well, I think I did quite well today. Some problems I encountered were I could not figure to save myself how to do the extreme bicep stretch. I think I ended up doing more of a shoulder stretch except it was the opposite hand position on the bar. Traps were gooood. I felt it quite well. I was having ALOT of trouble doing the hammer curls because I was doing them alternating and its quite hard to explode going up while slowly going down at the same time lol. Calf, I am pretty sure I screwed them to the best of my ability. I definitely felt the blood rushing down them on the last 3 reps or so. Hammies were good. And the big big big squat exercise screwed me royally. I usually squat 225 for 6 reps... Wow! Try doing 155 for 20... Damn that was tough for me. I wanted to quit around 15 but I kept on going. I might of rested a second or 2 on the last few reps but I hope that dont mess the system up. Oh yeah, and when I was trying to do the quad stretch, this hot chick asked me if I was trying to do the matrix lol. I was like yea, cool huh? Wanna join me? Haha.

Anyways, great day today, could definitely feel everthing I did quite well.

-Trench

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I got no idea how much deli meat I would need to get at least 20g of protein out of.

Chickenwise... I tried. Oh man, I tried. My electric grill must suck because I tried my best to cook some chicken thighs yesterday and I only cooked 3... Wow, I ended up burning the outside terribly and the inside was pink and raw... errr. So I havn't had too much good luck with cooking chicken.

Is there a chicken you can put in oven or something?

-Trench
If your using a foreman, you can do boneless skinless, otherwise stick to the oven.

Trench

Awards
Yeah, just put in 6 thighs in the oven, wrapped aluminum foil over the top of the pan. And marinated em with a soy ginger sauce of some sort... I used the whole bottle lol. Anyways, I put em in for 2 hrs at 350. That should cook it you think?

-Trench

Trench

Awards
Also wanted to ask how can you possibly do a static rep on ANY exercise after failing on the last part of the rest pause thing? I can barely hold it for 5 secs before it starts to come down on me.

-Trench

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, just put in 6 thighs in the oven, wrapped aluminum foil over the top of the pan. And marinated em with a soy ginger sauce of some sort... I used the whole bottle lol. Anyways, I put em in for 2 hrs at 350. That should cook it you think?

-Trench
2 HOURS!! Dude they are going to be nice and chewy, your making chicken jerky, I would think 1 hour would be enough. It takes about 20 minutes for boneless breats.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
2 HOURS!! Dude they are going to be nice and chewy, your making chicken jerky, I would think 1 hour would be enough. It takes about 20 minutes for boneless breats.
hahahahaah this post made me laugh . I pictured your eyes bugging out of your head. Dude 2hours is way too long.
cc

Trench

Awards
actually they turned out quite nicely. They were really tender and the meat just slid off the bone with ease. It was some of the best chicken I've ever had to be out of all honesty. Beats KFC, thats for sure.

-Trench

Beebs

Awards
I use the stove for everything. Just heat up a pan and brown both sides while covered. Lemon pepper is hard to beat.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
If you do that with white meat it'll dry it out.

Trench

Awards
Wow, I felt strong today. Really strong. Strength increase in DB Press. Yay!

Thursday:

Decline Bench 205 10 4 1
Flat DB Press 60 8 3 2
DB Shoulder Press 50 10 4 2
Skull Crushers 65 10 4 2
Pull Downs BTH 150 12 4 2
Rack Deadlift 235 12 4 3

Notes: Chaos gave me a damn good focus today. I hope its like this every workout. However, I need to pay attention to my driving rather than the radio... Focus is only on one thing sadly... but in this case, weights! Oh yeah. I'm so happy.

Question though, is training with DB Bench Press with the other chest exercise too much?

-Trench

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Checked out your log, looks good! only change I would make is to put the big muscles up front, like squats and DLs, especially squats at least every other work out. Unless your legs are way ahead of your upper body most people need to focus on legs and when your fresh you'll get more out of them. JMO

Trench

Awards
Well I'm Mr. Scarecrow legs here... So my legs are of course slacking pretty bad. I'll fix it though. Easy.

I'll change the order I do em because I see the way you see it now. Before, I was thiniking you warmed up your entire body before you did the "Big Daddy" lifts. Just my views on it.

Oh yeah, and I recover pretty dang fast, so Im just going to do on day//off day.. including weekends as well.

-Trench

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Well I'm Mr. Scarecrow legs here... So my legs are of course slacking pretty bad. I'll fix it though. Easy.

I'll change the order I do em because I see the way you see it now. Before, I was thiniking you warmed up your entire body before you did the "Big Daddy" lifts. Just my views on it.

Oh yeah, and I recover pretty dang fast, so Im just going to do on day//off day.. including weekends as well.

-Trench
Aaah a little clearity, in that case I would dedicate every 3rd w/o to legs. something like this
w/o #1 Back/bis
#2 Chest/shoulders/tris
#3 LEGS

for this leg w/o I would do the following
Squat 3 sets of 4-8 (not including warm up)
leg press 3 sets 6-8
SLDL 4 sets of 6-10
Leg curl 3 sets of 6-8

On each exercise go as heavy as possible, in other words on the squat if you pick a weight and do 8 reps but feel like you could have done more go up, You don't need to go to total failure but what I like to call the fringe of failure, you know that is the last rep you have, then rack it.
Really 1 or 2 muscle groups a day is enough, how long do you spend in the weight room? You've adopted a 1 on 1 off w/o is this because of life or just because? It will work but I'm just curious because a 2 day break on the weekends can spur some serious growth.

Anyway your off to a good start, just the fact that your Squating and DLing puts you way ahead of most people, but trust me big legs mean more then big bis any day, and besides sweats suck in the summer.:lol: Have fun!

Trench

Awards
Eh, I switched to the DC routine which is 1 exercise, 1 set per bodypart because I had peaked out doing 3 sets of 3 exercises per bodypart previously. I was stuck. So I believe this routine + proper dieting is going to help me out big time. Just my views. I am used to doing 2 bodyparts per day. Now, I am doing upper 1 day and lower the next. At least let me give this program a chance, another couple weeks or so.

-Trench

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Ok, yeh give that a chance then, I've been seeing this DC thing pop up quite a bit, sounds like a throwback of Mentzer/Yates style. I never liked that much but it works for some. Good Luck!

Trench

Awards
Updating... back on Saturday's workout... I am starting again Thursday so look for that!!

Saturday Preacher Curl 75 9 4 2
BB Shrug 235 9 4 2
Reverse Grip Curl 60 9 4 2
Seated Calf Raise 75 15 15 Sec. Negs.
Lying Leg Curl 100 8 4 2
Hack Squat 180 20

To be continued soon...

-Trench

p.s. I got some new workout shorts to give me a emotional boost after that headache... lol.