Topical finasteride

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have a receding hairline, and thinning hair. I'd just shave my head, but my head shape sucks, not gonna happen. I've thought about taking finasteride, but the sides don't look worthwhile to me. Topical seems to have less sides, and I'm kind of interested in it.

Has anyone tried topical? If so, how did it work?

Also, I only see one option for topical, hims online. I was also wondering if I could just do my own topical with some MA research finasteride and a spray bottle, lol.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not topical but I’ve been fine on oral fina and duta. Might give oral a whirl and see how it treats you but topical has great feedback too.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Topical finasteride is systematically absorbed and has high systemic DHT inhibition. I’ll try to find the study and post it here.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Topical finasteride is systematically absorbed and has high systemic DHT inhibition. I’ll try to find the study and post it here.
Damn. What I was reading said it was absorbed, but less so than oral. Ugh.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I remember the study it was saying that 1mg topically has almost same systemic DHT reduction and 0.2mg has 30 or 50% inhibition. It’s not as bad as oral finasteride but given the side effect I experienced over 7 years taking finasteride, sides with such a slow onset that I didn’t even realized, I prefer to stay away from finasteride even topical.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not topical but I’ve been fine on oral fina and duta. Might give oral a whirl and see how it treats you but topical has great feedback too.
How you going with both? I am currently on Oral fin and minoxidil and over the past year I have been thinning, last 6 months quite drastically. Trying to get a prescription for duta maybe to replace or maybe 2-3 times a week with the fin

CubsFan312

CubsFan312

Awards
What you want is some topical spironolactone. It's an anti-androgen and it absorbs in the scalp well. I'll shoot you a PM about it. You have to apply it daily. If you want to regrow hair, the only thing thats going to work is Minoxidil and that's something you basically have to use for the rest of your life.

But, it's not going to regrow hair, it's only going to stop it from spreading. Use that with some Pour De Our shampoo or whatever it's called. It's a good combo, since Pour De Our has ketoconazole in it, which helps inhibit DHT receptors as well. It only has 0.5% so you can ask your doc for an rx for 2% ketoconazole shampoo and it will be a lot more effective. Just mix the Pour De Our with some Nizoral shampoo and you'll be good. They also sell it OTC but it's only 1% although, that would get you up to 1.5%, so, not bad.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What you want is some topical spironolactone. It's an anti-androgen and it absorbs in the scalp well. I'll shoot you a PM about it. You have to apply it daily. If you want to regrow hair, the only thing thats going to work is Minoxidil and that's something you basically have to use for the rest of your life.

But, it's not going to regrow hair, it's only going to stop it from spreading. Use that with some Pour De Our shampoo or whatever it's called. It's a good combo, since Pour De Our has ketoconazole in it, which helps inhibit DHT receptors as well. It only has 0.5% so you can ask your doc for an rx for 2% ketoconazole shampoo and it will be a lot more effective. Just mix the Pour De Our with some Nizoral shampoo and you'll be good. They also sell it OTC but it's only 1% although, that would get you up to 1.5%, so, not bad.
Good addition is a castor oil hair mask with rosemary essential oil too . Both natural anti androgens.

I can't find any companies offering topical spiro. Guess one would have to make it themselves?

Agree with you on spiro too. MUCH safer than ru, finasteride, dutasteride, etc.

CubsFan312

CubsFan312

Awards
If you want the name of a company that sells topical spiro, just send me a PM.

One other thing I forgot to mention is a method called Dermarolling or Microneedling. There's lots of different types of these devices.

This dermatologist explains it really well and makes some recommendations. Check out the video.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you want the name of a company that sells topical spiro, just send me a PM.

One other thing I forgot to mention is a method called Dermarolling or Microneedling. There's lots of different types of these devices.

This dermatologist explains it really well and makes some recommendations. Check out the video.

PM'd and derma rolling is very effective