tips for college eating?

Mancolt

Awards
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to eat healthy at college? I dont think it would be that difficult 1) if I didnt have to purchase so many meals per week from the cafeteria and 2) if I could have anything other than just a microwave and fridge in my dorm room. Does anyone have any suggestions on how you can eat well while at college? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

BeastMode

BeastMode

Awards
well i live at school and the george foreman is my best friend... even though were not supposed to have it i can still make grilled meats (chicken,fish, steak) and in the micro you can make potatoes, rice, frozen veggies... at the cafe find out what lean meats they have... at my school they have an exceptional wok station where i live on chicken and rice, also on grilled chicken sandwhiches and whatever else i can get my hands on... gotta be creative bro especially when you need to feed

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
George Foreman Grill

Even though it was prohibited to have such a cooking device what I did was temporarily covered the smoke detector and opened my windows when I cooked. Cover the bottom of your door if necessary with a towel.

Then what I did was just go to Costco and pick up a big box of chicken breasts and some beef and grilled it.

You could also get a rice cooker and make some brown rice. My buddy had one so I just used his.

Also oatmeal is easily prepared in the microwave which you said you have.

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
Whenever the cafeteria has something good for you like grilled chicken breast sandwiches, I always jack a few and save them for later. My friend once stuffed five sandwiches under his shirt and got away with it. I also had a friend who snuck some pizza out, but he never ate it he just wanted to see if he could so i stuffed a piece or two down his pants and walked out.

Deific

Awards
when I went to school my cafe was the best. Eggs, plain chicken, steak, all the time. Body builders dream.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
oats and pasturiezed egg whites can easily be prepared in a microwave

hide a forman under your bed or something

eating in college while on a meal plan is a bitch .. i gained a ton of weight once i had access to a kitchen at school

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Microwave - Foreman - Rice cooker - that's all you need. You can do away with the rice cooker if need be but it's easier to make a day or two's worth at once instead of microwaving rice all the time.

50lb bag of rice at gordons food service or sams = $18
canned chicken is a little more than frozen but it requires no freezer (not sure if you are in a dorm) - Tuna = 3 for $1 or usually 2 for $1 - green veggies = cheap. Milk = cheap, egg whites cheap (if your really broke just seperate them your self $1 = 1 dozen. whole wheat/grain bagels = semi-cheap but less hassle than rice.

get a job in the cafeteria and smuggle some goods :)

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
i relied on mrp's, whey, oatmeal and egg whites and broccoli (bring it from the house each weekend) for cutting and as much of everything while bulking :) (including caf food, just try to stay away from obvious junk, like fried/ ice cream/ cookies/cake etc..)

King Nothing

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
They're all right. It's hard when you first get there. I started off good grilling my chicken at home on the weekends, sealing it, and keeping it in the freezer during the week and I just got 100% whole grain bread and brown rice and condiments to go with it. I got my eggs and veggies from the cafeteria. Then after I made new friends, they went there for every meal and I ended up joining them cuz it was fun. BAD IDEA! That's all I started eating and I gained 25 lbs bro! Now I'm workin to get it back off. It definitely sucks so be careful and be committed. Good luck
-Chris

HARDtotheCORE

Awards
I put tupperware containers in my backpack and then get a nice corner seat in the dining hall where nobody can see me, and just put assloads of chicken on my plate... load them into my tupperware under the table, and then go up again for food to eat while im there. havent gotten cought yet, and i'm always stocked. I also go thru MRPs, Tuna, whole wheat bread/natty pb, oats, egg whites, etc. If your low on whey and need a shake... try Author L. Reas version.. 8oz of diet coke and 2 cans of tuna in the blender mmmm. tasts sketchy, but hey, whatever it takes to be a monster.

Coulaid

Awards
How long would you cook the egg whites in the microwave? That would save me a lot of time.

Thanks

x_muscle

Awards
  • Established
Beef jurky, peanut, milk, oats, whey, nuts, and protein bars.

thats how i survive my college life. It dam hard to eat right when you have a 6 hour class/lab............dam chemistry.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
How long would you cook the egg whites in the microwave? That would save me a lot of time.

Thanks
go about a 1.5 mins and stir then do it again. Watch out though because they will balloon up like marshmallows so use a big bowl. Plus have some air freshener on hand since I imagine that you will get a few comments on the smell.

Here's what I ate in the dorms.
Tuna/fat free miracle whip
Oats w/splenda cinnamon
Skim milk
Whey
Kashi Cereal

Coulaid

Awards
go about a 1.5 mins and stir then do it again. Watch out though because they will balloon up like marshmallows so use a big bowl. Plus have some air freshener on hand since I imagine that you will get a few comments on the smell.

Here's what I ate in the dorms.
Tuna/fat free miracle whip
Oats w/splenda cinnamon
Skim milk
Whey
Kashi Cereal
Thanks. I do all of my own cooking, oats, chicken, sweet potato's and egg whites. I will give this a try on sunday. Thanks