Thinking of buying a digital camera..

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You guys have any suggestions? Price is a factor, but I would like to get something nice.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
i have a sony cyber shot, little expensive buy great quality.

my dad has a kodak, cheap, great quality, look into them if price is a factor like you said.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
You guys have any suggestions? Price is a factor, but I would like to get something nice.

Me too!! I have been looking and researching for quite some time and I have really grown to like almost everthing about the Canon Elph Sd500. It is one of those tiny cameras; but still has 7.1 megapixels. What size and resolution of camera are you looking at?

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
megapixels only matter if youre going to blow up pictures to certain sizes. the more megapixels you have the larger you can blow the pictures up. so if youre only going to want 5x7 or something like that you wont need anything brand new or 7.1 mp.

fyi

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Funny enough my girlfriend won one tonight. Olympus stylus 300 digital. Not the greatest, 3.1 meg pixil, but still nice for free.

tattoopierced1

IMO Olympus makes the best cameras. The quality is second to none and the price is very very reasonable.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
The first question: What are you going to be doing with the camera?

If you're taking pictures to email to people, and you're not shooting in low-light situations, or action situations, then just about any camera will do. Most people would prefer a small, compact, point-and-shoot camera, if their application is not very demanding.

If you will be doing a lot of action shots, or shooting animals, or wiggly kids -- things that just won't cooperate and and stand still, you'll need something that can focus fast. If you do photography in low-light conditions, or need a flash that can go more than 5 feet -- like up to 50 feet, then you'll need a camera that can support a good quality external flash unit. This is where a digital SLR, such as the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, Canon EOS 20D, Nikon D50, or Nikon D70s would be a good choice.

When I go out shooting for a day, I bring my Nikon D70, with 2 lenses, external flash, lens filters (circular polarizers are a must, if you shoot clouds, or go up to the mountains), spare batteries, and a spare memory card. And let's not forget the tripod. I'll easily shoot 300+ pictures in a day.
Of course, it's no fun lugging around that much stuff all day.

There are also some "advanced" cameras, that fill in the gap between the simple point-and-shoot cameras, and the digitall SLRs. The Canon PowerShot G6, Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom, and Canon Powershot Pro1 fit into that category.

The best thing to do, is go down to a store, and try them out. Some cameras sound great on paper, and look cool, but you put them in your hand, and start shooting, and you might just absolutely hate they way they feel. Make sure you use a price engine like pricegrabber.com, to find the best deal. Many times, local stores will match internet prices.

-Tinytoad

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
FWIW, I have a Canon PowerShot SD300 that I'm very happy with. It's nice and small enough to put in my jeans pocket for the night. IMO, the smaller it is, the more likely you are to use it on a regular basis.

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the best place to look for a digital camera, compare, read, preview, review, see sample photos, feedback:

dpreview.com

i have a cannon elph SD400

its a good camera, not without faults though, but I am very demanding i guess.