The World's Heaviest Man

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Is anyone else watching this on TLC? God's almight, what the **** is wrong with people like this? He's over 1000lbs. They were doing a pan down his bed, I swear I thought I was gonna see Salacious Crumb sitting on the end of his bed.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've seen one with a woman who was over 700 lbs. It was disgusting and hideous and all things vile. Her "helper" or "aid" or whatever you want to call her had to encourage the lady just to get her into the van. The 3 inches she needed to lift her leg to get in the vehicle was too much for her. She kept saying, "I can't do it! I can't do it! It's too hard." Man, did I want to beat her senseless for letting herself be so pathetic.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I think all these disgusting individuals probably have the highest level of disrespect for themselves as well.

Getting that fat dosen't happen overnight, nor does it happen by accident. You NEED to make sh-t like that happen yourself.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is where I agree letting yourself go is not an accident. They truly did not get that way overnight and it seems to me they could have tried to lose weight before they got to the 1000lb mark.

Not only is it gross and unhealthy but at that weight you have made yourself a burden to others. Someone has to take care of all your needs. If your heart goes out or you need a squad they cant get you out the door.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is anyone else watching this on TLC? God's almight, what the **** is wrong with people like this? He's over 1000lbs. They were doing a pan down his bed, I swear I thought I was gonna see Salacious Crumb sitting on the end of his bed.
Yes I have watched that before. They put him on "The Zone Diet". The authors of the Zone Diet are pathetic, the only reason they helped the guy is because they were trying to promote their diet.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes I have watched that before. They put him on "The Zone Diet". The authors of the Zone Diet are pathetic, the only reason they helped the guy is because they were trying to promote their diet.
If you make money while helping someone, that is a decently honourable motivation. There is no such thing as true altruism or unselfish acts.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you make money while helping someone, that is a decently honourable motivation. There is no such thing as true altruism or unselfish acts.
Well the thing is, they way they acted on the show just didn't seem to me like they really wanted to help this guy. They were more interested in selling The Zone Diet and just "using" this guy as a "marketing tool".

"If the worlds Heaviest Man can lose weight on The Zone Diet, than you can too!!!"

Its just how I perceived the personality traits of the people from the Zone diet. The fit the persona of "Salesman" to a T.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well the thing is, they way they acted on the show just didn't seem to me like they really wanted to help this guy. They were more interested in selling The Zone Diet and just "using" this guy as a "marketing tool".

"If the worlds Heaviest Man can lose weight on The Zone Diet, than you can too!!!"

Its just how I perceived the personality traits of the people from the Zone diet. The fit the persona of "Salesman" to a T.
I actually agree with you, mostly because they did not bother to explain any nutritional principles to anyone (audience or fatty), just pushed their brand as panacea.

Just saying that, while their execution was poor, their moitivation is not automatically sleazy.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I am of the mind that the super obese are mentally fvcked. Even the researchers who study them basically say there is no hope for them. They know what they are doing to themselves, they know it will kill them, but somewhere in their brains is a short circuit producing an all-powerful need to feed that overpowers everything else.

While I too dismiss the average fatty as a lazy, excuse making type of person that is afraid to change..the super obese, IMO, are screwed genetically.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To them, food=power and domination over the problem of survival. The only problem is that is is such a 2 dimensional reaction (sort of like reverting to a primitive state of being) to existence and food is too readily available with no effort.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
That and a loss of will to survive outside of the food.

I've talked with nursing home staff that increasingly have to deal with the obese instead of the elderly. It's very sad for the staff because they go into nursing for altruistic reasons and end up hating their jobs because they are asked to deal with these people who literally just want to lay around, be fed and have their asses wiped.

It's sick. I'd like to think there will be some gene therapy fix for this but if it's really just a loss of will..euthanasia would be the best option.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
That and a loss of will to survive outside of the food.

I've talked with nursing home staff that increasingly have to deal with the obese instead of the elderly. It's very sad for the staff because they go into nursing for altruistic reasons and end up hating their jobs because they are asked to deal with these people who literally just want to lay around, be fed and have their asses wiped.

It's sick. I'd like to think there will be some gene therapy fix for this but if it's really just a loss of will..euthanasia would be the best option.
no doubt.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
...and remember to wear dark colored pants.

Ugh.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Vertical stripes are slimming.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
So is a total absence of light.
:rofl: you guys are killin me. the thing that bothers me are the people that are "aiding" them. Why do they continue to feed them? If you tell them they cant Have Mcdonalds for the 7th you think they are going chase you around the house? At least if they are thinking about beating you something in their body will be getting exercise

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
There's that show that's called something like "I eat 60,000 Calories per day".

This one guy was about 700 pounds..bedridden in a 5th floor apartment in NYC. If his family wouldn't feed him, he'd call for delivery and send down the money in a bucket and have the delivery guy put the ribs and soda in it and haul it back up.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established

This one guy was about 700 pounds..bedridden in a 5th floor apartment in NYC. If his family wouldn't feed him, he'd call for delivery and send down the money in a bucket and have the delivery guy put the ribs and soda in it and haul it back up.
:blink:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established

Wow. So when they delivered the food did they put it in the back of a Uhaul or somthing ?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
They're getting fat for the upcoming hunger pandemic. All that fat will keep them alive longer then the skinny vegans and people with AIDS :D

In all seriousness, this is something I can't comprehend. WTF is wrong with these people ? That's just not normal. I don't see this as a disease. A disease is something you get like cancer, lupus, or seizures etc.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
They're getting fat for the upcoming hunger pandemic. All that fat will keep them alive longer then the skinny vegans and people with AIDS :D

In all seriousness, this is something I can't comprehend. WTF is wrong with these people ? That's just not normal. I don't see this as a disease. A disease is something you get like cancer, lupus, or seizures etc.
I know, I can't stand the 'it's a disease' mentality either. I'm far from skinny, but Christ that's just insane. It's not a disease if you can trace the etiology back to Burger King. Plus it takes work to get yourself like that. I don't give a **** what's wrong with a person's thyroid, the excess calories you need to eat to get to and maintain that weight are insane.

Tighe

Tighe

Awards
I, for one, appreciated Salacious Crumb reference. :thumbsup:

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I, for one, appreciated Salacious Crumb reference. :thumbsup:
Yes that is funny now that I know who it is. Sure I watched all the Star Wars, but I am no Star Wars geek. I mean other then the main characters I have no clue of the other character names.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
My hypothesis as to the root cause of this disorder has to do with how easy survival has gotten. We all enjoy a much easier lifestyle than our ancestors did 10,000 years ago and most of us can handle this fine.

But when you think about it, modern society is such an artificial construct compared to what our basic ecology used to be that some people cannot handle it. I know I can't...I'm a mysanthrope to the core. Being around lots of people makes me ill at ease. Others drug themselves to death, gamble or do some other self destructive behavior as a way out.

Others, like the super obese simply focus on the stimulus-reward system of food consumption. Outside of that they have very little will to live.

They are part of that 27% of the population that is hard-wired to self destruct in some way or another and I seriously doubt there is much hope for them.

Humans are meant to be challenged by their environment. We do best when we struggle..at least a little...and are put to the test physically and mentally. It's a lot like the quote in Jurassic Park;

"T-Rex doesn't want to be fed...he wants to HUNT."

Without that stimulus, the mystical/spiritual/physical drive that powers us all slows to a crawl. In some it stops completely. It is why some of us here worship the Iron.

In today's day and age where even the poorest people have access to high calorie diets, food is always within arm's reach..there to comfort that lack of drive and say "everything's OK even though you have no ambition to be anything or do anything.".

Do I have sympathy for these people? A little, but it's more likened to pity. I am a biologist and recognize the utility of Darwinistic principles. The stupid, the vapid, the physically unfit all drag the species down. If they die off without reproducing, it would be a benefit to the integrity of our collective genotype.

But they won't die off and we're not simply animals competing for mates and resources. If there's a way to make the stupid smart..were obliged to try. Likewise if there is a way to put that drive back into those that have given up..it's worth a try..to a certain point.

So IMO, the way to put that drive back into these people is to show them what survival is all about. Put them in a more challenging environment (after the gastric bypass so they can at least move, lol) and see who emerges anew.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Well before you judge others and thier ill choices consider yours, while they may not be of the same nature they exist and are no more or less important as they are as individual of problems as you are unique. Leave the judging to god, dont be sickened by others plight as this does no good for anyone. I acknwledge i also falter and if you use drugs to grow consider your own vanity and the weakness others may choose to see in you. do not judge others lest ye be judged.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Well before you judge others and thier ill choices consider yours, while they may not be of the same nature they exist and are no more or less important as they are as individual of problems as you are unique. Leave the judging to god, dont be sickened by others plight as this does no good for anyone. I acknwledge i also falter and if you use drugs to grow consider your own vanity and the weakness others may choose to see in you. do not judge others lest ye be judged.
I disagree. Whether by God or nature we have brains capable of judging others and ourselves. I feel we'd be foolish not to use that ability. A world without judgement is a world without standards.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
do not judge others lest ye be judged.
Damn straight...and don't go fight World War 2 to kill hitler and stop the killing of others, because who are you to judge, right?

And I mean, if you come across a man having sex with a 3 year old, who are you to try and stop it...maybe they are not the same nature as you, but his life is no less valid than yours, eh?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Well theres really no point in having a "discussion" with someone who will find some extraneous example to discredit a point made in a specific manner. If your mother died tommorow how would you feel if i said she deserved it through my look at ehr actions? or is the point to learn from mistakes, yours or others? Why not help or offer encourangement to the ones you think are "weak" instead of comdemming them? How do you sleep better by insulting others? Big difference between a fat man who eats food and an innocent raped child or a dictator. Theres always an argument to counter any argument, see what you will , do what makes you happy, i am not happy about my person by kicking the injured while they are down. I do not get satisfaction for degrading others, hate breeds hate, anger breeds anger. I feel as if my values and your values are different but i will not get angry maybe frustrated that my innocent attempt at looking to a different perspective change has elicited anger.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well theres really no point in having a "discussion" with someone who will find some extraneous example to discredit a point made in a specific manner. If your mother died tommorow how would you feel if i said she deserved it? or is the point to learn from mistakes, yours or others? Why not help or offer encourangement to the ones you think are "weak" instead of comdemming them? How do you sleep better by insulting others? Big difference between a fat man who eats food and an innocent raped child or a dictator. Theres always an argument to counter any argument, see what you will , do what makes you happy, i am not happy about my person by kicking the injured while they are down. I do not get satisfaction for degrading others, hate breeds hate, anger breeds anger. I feel as if my values and your values are different but i will not get angry maybe frustrated that my innocent attempt at a perspective change has elicited anger. If i have not the answers you seek.
I never said that...you just hit a nerve with that quote. I have known MANY people that were obese that I tried to help, and the sense of entitlement to junk food/the easy way and just pure laziness is extremely disheartening. I constantly try to offer advice to anyone that will listen. Unfortunately, so many of this type of person do NOT listen, and lie to cover up their own behaviour (I only eat 200 calories worth of saltine crackers a day, and I don't lose weight).

Didn't mean to come across foully.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Well theres really no point in having a "discussion" with someone who will find some extraneous example to discredit a point made in a specific manner.
Those aren't extraneous examples, though they may be extreme. On a practical level we all have to make such judgements in our every day lives, about other people and ourselves.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I never said that...you just hit a nerve with that quote. I have known MANY people that were obese that I tried to help, and the sense of entitlement to junk food/the easy way and just pure laziness is extremely disheartening. I constantly try to offer advice to anyone that will listen. Unfortunately, so many of this type of person do NOT listen, and lie to cover up their own behaviour (I only eat 200 calories worth of saltine crackers a day, and I don't lose weight).

Didn't mean to come across foully.
Good post, life can be frustrating, dont stop helping for your efforts are not in vain. There's something therapeutic about helping others that in a sense heals ourselves, some people dont want help, you can still do good for trying.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think you yourself may be judging inappropriately as well..giving proof that it is simply part of the human condition no matter how hard we try to escape it. But I do see your point fully and appreciate it.

Is it not clear that many of us are here, on this board, to learn more ways to help the human physical condition? Some are here purely for vanity..others quest for knowledge to be used altruistically. You cannot possibly be aware of the amount of help some of us have offered or not offered.

There were some harsh judgments stated about the obese but there was also a lot of attempts to analyze why these people do what they do...and I don't think that should be stifled. We need to know the Why before we can know the How.

My statements about putting the super-obese in a more challenging physical environment can be read many ways I suppose. I'm not talking about dropping them off in the high Andes, Man Vs Wild style, and making them survive. That would amount to murder.

I'm thinking more along the lines of an early 1900's agrarian lifestyle. A lifestyle where you had to work for your food and even your water. ie..go to the well outside for a drink, work a good part of the day to grow or rear your food.

A real, honest "fat farm" and I believe it would work. Take away the ease of existence. Bring on the experience of real hunger and real toil and you'll see a difference in attitude. It would be a long, rocky road but change is seldom easy.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
good post bioman

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I agree totally, i am imperfect. theres good in all of us and at times the battle inside of us shows us in a less than ideal light. having an opinion is judging in a way.... now altruism may not really exist but being angry at someone for weakness IMO seems wastefull of energy and hurtful to your soul. judging can be beneficial but i was merely remarking on the idea that irrational anger and disgust can somehow separate us and show who the strong are, while we have our poison others have theirs. Pointing out a problem is easy, finding a solution, speculating strategy and implementing an action plan is what it takes to fix problems. I try to maintain a rather speculative aproach and attempt rather un successfully to limit decisons based on raw emotion... I am human and hopefully continue to grow and learn how and when to apply myself to maximise my version of happiness. I hope we can all agree that regaurdless of how its worded being mad or dusgusted with someone does little to help as most problems arise from hardship and a lost sense of self. babies are born perfect; the way nature intended, its the world that corrupts them. We share this world and as collective sculptists form our environmenets, now will you use your powers for good or evil?