The Sleep Stack

D

dez/null

Awards
For most of us know we grow in our sleep (primarily during REM sleep)

What are some of the drugs/supplements you guys take before bed?

Mine are.

Melatonin 3mcg

A serving of liver tabs.

ZMA

and soon to come L-arginine 2 grams before sleep :)

D

Draven

Awards
  • Established
For me it's a Protein shake mix of:

25% Calcium Caseinate
25% Soy Isolate
25% CFM Whey Isolate
25% Milk Isolate
1tbsp Flax Oil
1/2 tsp of Watermelon Crystal Light for flavour

Plus+
1000mg Calcium
Antioxident (When cutting)
ZMA (When bulking)
1000mg Vit C

That's about it.

M

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
nite time supps

i take zma and liv tabs also...melatonin never did anything much for me tho. plus some ala..and some casein if i'm bulkin....i usually dont have alot of trouble sleepin unless i've been into the ephedrine within 4 hours of bedtime...then i can kiss that nights sleep goodbye..heh:(

B

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
a load of cottage cheese and pb, liver tabs... thats about it

S

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
I work shift work, so my sleep is shot to hell. For sleep aids I've used melatonin, which works sometimes. I also use doxyamil succinate (sp?) and benedryl which are both antihistamines that help knock you out. All sleep aids work to some extent, but after a while the body adapts to that particular substance, then it no longer works.......so cycling them helps. Last night was a perfect example of not being able to sleep....no matter what I took I was just not able to sleep at all......and I just started my 7 days straight....six 12hr shifts and one 8hr shift......wish me luck.

D

domenick36

Awards
I sleep all day because i work the night shift. I eat 4 eggs, bacon, toast, oatmeal w whey prot. and a met rx shake. i have a fast metabolism.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
melatonin (3mg pills) knock me right out...

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
optimum nutrition's melatonin @ 3mg per can be had for 1.50 for 100pills. thats ridiciously cheap. never tried it and might just have to pick it up. Sage

I

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I know its not liked here much but L-glutamine makes me sleepy, about 7-8 grams in Kool-Aid and I'm good.

D

deftone

Awards
I allso work swing shifts and have a hell of a time getting to sleep...Acting on a recommendation I tried some GABA at a dose of 2 grams last night, It seems that in some people it has a unpleasent side effect of shortness of breath... Scared the **** out of me...

M

MadChild

Awards
we can't buy melatonin in Canada. :( But a good Canadian history text book will put me to sleep. ;)

I take ZMA, I haven't finished the bottle yet, but when I do I'll just buy some Zinc and take that with a B Complex.

I

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

magnesium is what makes you sleepy not the zinc. Zinc is for natural test levels to be at their peak.

E

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I used to take valarian, but I didn't notice anything from it.
As did I, being a Canadian and looking for a legal alternative to melatonin. It does not seem to produce any noticable effect, but its use seemed to coincide with loose stools the next day.

J

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Homemade ZMA- 1 zinc tab and 4 magnesium tabs. The mag is what makes you sleepy.
Strong caffeine free green tea extract- the theanine is very relaxing
10-15 grams of taurine sometimes
melatonin and valerian root if I'm still having issues

T

TooL

Awards
Option 1

40g of Micellar Casein
15g of L-glutamine
15g of L-taurine
750 mg magnesium
2 tbs of PB
4 tbs of Cottage cheese

Option 2

12 - 15 gin and tonics

L

littlemark

Awards
Just want to give you Canadians a heads up. You can't buy Melatonin in Canada, but you can bring in a 3 month supply for personal use. I live near the border, and bring it back every 3-4 months. Declare it for what it is, and you'll pay duty on it, but they won't stop you or try to seize it. You may have to explain the 3 month personal use thing, but Customs once they get their heads out of their asses will let it go with no issues. Just make sure your order is all supps in this catagory or you may lose it all because of something else.

Nice that they're happy to take your duty money on it, but not let the joe with the nutrition store make the $ off of selling it legally. Jerks.

L

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I take 12mg melatonin & 1000mg GABA every night & still have trouble sleeping most nights. I have tried valerian, & probably every other herbal method out there. They work well for some, but I'm cursed.

It sucks, because I can't get a doc to prescribe anything without me taking an overnight sleep study. My insurance won't cover it, plus I know I'll never fall asleep in a hospital & I'll have to take time off work to sleep & recover. I've had a script for the study for 2 years & never called to schedule it. Maybe I should...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Sleep issues got me hooked on MJ for several years which became a bit of a nuisance issue. Even though it brings on sleep quickly I think it shortens or even stops the amount of REM sleep. I never dreamt on MJ.

Nowadays I use large doses of Mg asporatate, or a little melatonin, or kava kava. Really high quality valerian works well but I've noticed it only works for the first night or two, then it loses its effectiveness. All in all the goal should be to use the substances to reset your sleep schedule and the be able to sleep supplement free. I wish!

W

westniles

Awards
I can never sleep directly after smoking weed, maybe 4 hours later or so, but I don't think it would help me much. I guess I am lucky that I pretty much have no trouble sleeping.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
3 mg. of Melatonin knocks me the hell out. If find that if I use it too long I tend to get up in the middle of the night.

J

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Can anybody suggest a supp. that will help me tune out the sounds of my neighbor getting stuffed next door?

M

misterchristian

Awards
I personally like 3mg clonazepam/6-8 gabatropin, or

3mg melatonin/100mg 5-htp/100-300 l-theanine

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
doxylamine succinate (unisom/nyquil) for you harder insomniax

D

DobermanXXL

Awards
For me it's a Protein shake mix of:

25% Calcium Caseinate
25% Soy Isolate
25% CFM Whey Isolate
25% Milk Isolate
1tbsp Flax Oil
1/2 tsp of Watermelon Crystal Light for flavour

Plus+
1000mg Calcium
Antioxident (When cutting)
ZMA (When bulking)
1000mg Vit C

That's about it.
Not sure about how much of a difference it iwll actually make.. but calcium is supposed to hinder the effects of ZMA..try dropping the calcium for awhile and see if you notice any changes

I

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I used crushed up tylenol PM, it is the only thing that puts me to sleep nowadays. If I dont take anything I dont sleep.
Does anyone know anything about Ambien. My wife is going to ask her doc about it but I would like some real world advice on the stuff.

D

DobermanXXL

Awards
I take 12mg melatonin & 1000mg GABA every night & still have trouble sleeping
12mg is nuts.. im surprised that doesn't do the job. try zmassPM.. it makes you sleep much better than most ZMAs it contains l-dopa or something i believe..maybe you became used to melatonin? you arent supposed to take it for long periods of time because your body can stop making it naturally.

M

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What I like to use is 3mg melatonin, 10 grams taurine and a homemade zma stack about an hour before bed. That has me ready to hit the pillow just about without fail. I work a rotating 12 hour shift, and for the times I have to make a quick change from nights to days I use a prescription sleep aid called zopiclone. This stuff could knock an elephant on it's ass, it's just that damn powerful. I've used it when requiring something to kill off stronger "stimulant" based substances, and it never fails to put me to sleep.

I

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Ambien
about 20 minutes after taking 5mg I was ready to pass out
I woke up a couple of times during the night but fell right back to sleep
this stuff is good

L

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ambien
about 20 minutes after taking 5mg I was ready to pass out
I woke up a couple of times during the night but fell right back to sleep
this stuff is good
Ambien is so dirty. you need a minimum of 8 hours and still wake up groogy. no doubt you'll fall asleep, but bad sleep. the only time i use ambien is a nite of partying with stimulants/meth.