TGR's Modified PowerBuilding v2.0

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This will be my new log, including my workouts/routine, diet, and pictures of puppies.

K9 puppies, to be clear.

I will start this off with my first ever 5-3-1 cycle, using this pattern given to me by Atanoc:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416440053.906099.jpg

My accessory work will vary, and I'll incorporate exercises I learned doing Mountain Dog routines.

I dunno my true maxes because I've never done the main lifts first, at least not in a couple years, and I've never had a reason to find my max.

For the sake of starting numbers, I'll use what Jefit sees as my 1RM based on since I started using it to track my exercises.

OHP: 174

Bench: 252

Squat: 388.5

Deadlift: 418

If I find after my first cycle that these numbers are too high/low, I'll adjust as needed.

I don't know my starting weight, but I'll update that frequently as well. My goal is to get down to 190 (slowly).

I will post videos frequently for form check. I welcome any and all criticism and advice. I want to perform these lifts with the best technique I possibly can.

Welcome!

turff49

turff49

Awards
I'm here man! Let's get her Rollin'!!

joh408

Awards
  • Established
In! Should be a nice switch up for you

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
...in to observe and learn something from you guys..

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Usually your true, gut-busting 4RM is about 90% of your 1RM (they say). So if you know what your 4RM is for any of the lifts, use that as your training max for now. Just sayin' :)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm here man! Let's get her Rollin'!!
Subbed, in for gains and to see how 5/3/1 treats you
In! Should be a nice switch up for you
...in to observe and learn something from you guys..
Hi.

Best be a lot of film in here!
Usually your true, gut-busting 4RM is about 90% of your 1RM (they say). So if you know what your 4RM is for any of the lifts, use that as your training max for now. Just sayin' :)
Welcome!

Well, I'm not certain, but I don't believe that I can hit any of those numbers x4... :/

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome!

Well, I'm not certain, but I don't believe that I can hit any of those numbers x4... :/
My training maxes are calculated at:

OHP: 155

Bench: 225

DL: 375

Squat: 350

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 1, chest pump.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416480215.179273.jpg

I hit a rep PR on bench.

Bam.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Barbell Bench Press 273.33

1m rests-

Set 1 : 45x5
Set 2 : 95x5
Set 3 : 115x5
Set 4 : 135x3
Set 5 : 160x3
Set 6 : 185x3

3m rest-

Set 7 : 205x10 PR

I would've attempted 1 more if I had a spotter.

Jefit now calculates my 1RM at 275

Barbell Incline Bench Press 225.5

1m rests-

Set 1 : 135x5
Set 2 : 155x5
Set 3 : 185x5
Set 4 : 205x3
Set 5 : 135x16

Leverage Chest Press 126.67

Weight per side, 1m rests-

Set 1 : 90x10
Set 2 : 100x8
Set 3 : 115x3
Set 4 : 90x7

SUPERSET:

Dumbbell Bent Over Delt Raise 45

Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 30x15
Set 3 : 30x13

Spider Crawl N/A

Start overhead, work below the waist and back up to = 1 rep

Set 1: 3 Lap/Rep
--
Set 2: 3.5 Lap/Rep
--
Set 3: 3 Lap/Rep
--

Over and Back 80

BB press, touch chest and press, touch traps and press = 1 rep

Set 1 : 60x10
Set 2 : 50x8
Set 3 : 40x7

Arm Circles 10

Set 1 : 10 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 10 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 10 Lap/Rep
Set 4 : 10 Lap/Rep

I took the photo after the flat bench presses, but by the time I was done my shoulders were jacked up.

Today was a good day.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
In for this nice pressing!

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Following ALONG!

turff49

turff49

Awards
Awesome start and with a PR to boot!!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Nice work man! Solid PR on the first day

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for this nice pressing!
Thanks for joining Gray!

Following ALONG!
Welcome Mountain!

Awesome start and with a PR to boot!!
Thanks Turff! I liked doing bench first.

Heck yeah!! Way to get this log started!!! Looking awesome!
Log complete. Welcome!

Always great having the pro in here.

Congrats on the PR. Now keep going!
I expect great things in the coming months.

Nice work man! Solid PR on the first day
Wish it was more, but I've never been a great or dedicated presser.

That's the way to start things off.. nice job Thomas.
I know that's your one-arm PR... Thanks Simon!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don't really agree w/ the 90% being a 4RM either lol; but I do think you should certainly be able to work up to your TM any day if you need to - you can always up it later if you start too light. But if you're unsure about that 350 squat, go down to like 335 or something you've done a lot. Remember, on the 3rd week each cycle you're going to be working singles up to or past your TM.

If that makes more sense at all.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't really agree w/ the 90% being a 4RM either lol; but I do think you should certainly be able to work up to your TM any day if you need to - you can always up it later if you start too light. But if you're unsure about that 350 squat, go down to like 335 or something you've done a lot. Remember, on the 3rd week each cycle you're going to be working singles up to or past your TM.

If that makes more sense at all.
I am thinking about lowering that weight. Maybe 335-345. I'm certain I could hit a single for those with lower volume warming up.

Do you think I should up my bench max any since I hit 10 on a 3+AMRAP? Or just leave that alone for now?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'd go 335, based on your recent training and what you're telling me now. It should be a weight that you are 100% confident in hitting (and have hit, ideally multiple times). If you've benched 230-235 many many times, then go for it I say. But no more than that; you can always add 10lbs in 3wks instead of 5 if it's still way too light.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
liftandswim you've done some 5/3/1 haven't you?
Yes.

And I'll say that I think he should lower his squat to something he's VERY comfortable with. I think he could benefit from manageable weights, for now, to hone his technique some.

And keep your bench where it's at. Stop freaking out about starting too low lol. Strength will come. If you do thinks right, a year from now you'll look back and laugh that you were ever worried with some of this trivial stuff.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yes.

And I'll say that I think he should lower his squat to something he's VERY comfortable with. I think he could benefit from manageable weights, for now, to hone his technique some.

And keep your bench where it's at. Stop freaking out about starting too low lol. Strength will come. If you do thinks right, a year from now you'll look back and laugh that you were ever worried with some of this trivial stuff.
So there you go, JR. From someone who has used it more than me.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
So there you go, JR. From someone who has used it more than me.
Goes for all training, really. Start low and slow and build. No need to rush if you plan on lifting for the next 10, 20, ect years. You'll be more likely to remain injury free and engrain better technique. Which will translate to more strength over time.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes.

Well there it is.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cycle 1 Day 2

BACK

Barbell Deadlift 419.33

BELTLESS-

1.25m rests (set up after the 1m timer went off)

Set 1 : 150x5
Set 2 : 190x5
Set 3 : 225x3
Set 4 : 265x3

+Belt
Set 5 : 300x3 VIDEO

http://youtu.be/hHDAVbnTB9I

+Belt, +Chalk

2-3m rest-

Set 6 : 340x7 PR

I videoed this set, but something happened with the phone and the video cut off before I pulled the first rep. I was so ticked.

NOTE: I had to delete videos to edit the 300x3. Looks like I was out of memory... Dang.

Meadows Row 166.67
1m rests-

Set 1 : 45x8
Set 2 : 90x8

+ straps

Set 3 : 100x8
Set 4 : 115x8
Set 5 : 125x10

Superset, 30s rest jumping back and forth:

Barbell Good Morning 239.17

Set 1 : 135x5
Set 2 : 185x5
Set 3 : 205x5 (w/ belt)
Set 4 : 185x3

Straight Arm DB pullover 97.5

Meadows' ROM-

Set 1 : 65x15
Set 2 : 65x13
Set 3 : 65x13

SUPERSET:

Right arm both exercises, then the left arm both exercises.

Kayak Row 135

Set 1 : 90x15

Cable One Arm Seated Row 101.33

Set 1 : 80x8

Notes:

I dragged out of bed this morning and ended up 30 minutes late to the gym. Or, later than normal anyway. I wish I had had that extra time for more accessory work. All in all though it was a good workout and I had fun dead lifting.

Subbed . Fck ya man. Awesome pr to kick things off
Welcome AT!

turff49

turff49

Awards
Nice workout! Hitting it strong right off the bat. Deads and good mornings would wipe me out for the rest of the day! Looks like the new routine has motivated you a little more than what you were already.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Great session! Solid assistance work too.

All these reps on the AMRAP set will pay off down the road. When you finally work up to heavy numbers you'll blow them out of the water. Can't wait to see your progress.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
340 x 7 is CRAZY! Nice job.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice workout! Hitting it strong right off the bat. Deads and good mornings would wipe me out for the rest of the day! Looks like the new routine has motivated you a little more than what you were already.
Great session! Solid assistance work too.

All these reps on the AMRAP set will pay off down the road. When you finally work up to heavy numbers you'll blow them out of the water. Can't wait to see your progress.
340 x 7 is CRAZY! Nice job.
Thanks guys! This is the sorest I remember my back being this early after a WO in a long.

atanocc

atanocc

Awards
Thanks guys! This is the sorest I remember my back being this early after a WO in a long.
It's a nice change of pace ain't it?? Love the DOMs I get from this program. Deads looking solid. Position looks good to me man.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Definitely some strong work Thomas!! I am not surprised your back is sore!! Be crazy if it wasn't after all of that! Lol

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a nice change of pace ain't it?? Love the DOMs I get from this program. Deads looking solid. Position looks good to me man.
I am a fan, for sure.

It's a catch-22 for me on DL-ing in pants. I like them to protect my shins, but I also kinda like watching my shins as I sit back to keep them as straight as possible.

I also had to readjust twice on the x7. They are hex plates, and twice they rolled forward. No biggie though.

Definitely some strong work Thomas!! I am not surprised your back is sore!! Be crazy if it wasn't after all of that! Lol
Thanks Kat! I'm knotting up for sure! It's going to be a good end of the year with this routine.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice job brother.. Excellent deadlifts.... arms looking big in that video too.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice job brother.. Excellent deadlifts.... arms looking big in that video too.
Thanks Simon.

I might have a little Max Pump going on...

iddc

iddc

Awards
I videoed this set, but something happened with the phone and the video cut off before I pulled the first rep. I was so ticked.

NOTE: I had to delete videos to edit the 300x3. Looks like I was out of memory... Dang.
Time to replace that phone!

Strong lifts man!

Subd!!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Time to replace that phone!

Strong lifts man!

Subd!!
It's a spare iPhone, but I've taken so many videos, then edited those large videos to smaller additional videos, then taken those smaller videos and grouped them with iMovie, then saved them back to the camera roll. So 3 vids turned into 7 videos all for a 15-30 clip to be sent to youtube.

I just need to stay on top of deleting them.

Welcome bro!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys, I know that you sometimes go beltless on squats and deads, does the same apply to OHP? I've never worn a belt on them before.

turff49

turff49

Awards
Hey guys, I know that you sometimes go beltless on squats and deads, does the same apply to OHP? I've never worn a belt on them before.
If standing then you should wear one until you are comfortable not wearing one. Seated with a bench back then one isn't needed. Well, that's my opinion anyway...lol

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with Turff... I would use one for standing just to ensure your back is supported properly. If seated with back rest there is no need.. Seated without back rest, then I would say you need one even more than if you are standing, as it is so easy to round your back when sitting.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If standing then you should wear one until you are comfortable not wearing one. Seated with a bench back then one isn't needed. Well, that's my opinion anyway...lol
I agree with Turff... I would use one for standing just to ensure your back is supported properly. If seated with back rest there is no need.. Seated without back rest, then I would say you need one even more than if you are standing, as it is so easy to round your back when sitting.
Works for me.

I guess today will be an off day. My torso is trashed from the last two days and I don't think I could squat 100% with the lower back work I did yesterday.

If I get too bored this morning maybe I'll go do some tricep/bicep work.

Headed to Tallahassee in a couple hours for the FSU game.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Barbell Close Grip Bench Press 222
1m Rests-

Set 1 : 45x5
Set 2 : 135x8
Set 3 : 155x8
Set 4 : 185x6
Set 5 : 135x11

SUPERSET:

Cable Rope Triceps Pushdown 182

Set 1 : 130x12
Set 2 : 120x11
Set 3 : 100x12

Barbell Curl 101.33

Set 1 : 80x8 +
Set 2 : 80x8 partials
Set 3 : 70x8 +
Set 4 : 70x6 partials
Set 5 : 70x8 +
Set 6 : 70x7 partials

SUPERSET:

Right arm both then left arm both-

Meadows Cable Extension 66.67

1 full ROM + .5 ROM = 1 rep

Set 1 : 50x10
Set 2 : 40x10

Leaning Palm Alternating Kickbacks 13.33

Set 1 : 10x10 (not actual weight)
Set 2 : 7.5x8

My triceps were on fire...

SUPERSET:

1.25 Hammer Curl 45.5

1 drop set, 1 + .25 ROM = 1 rep

Set 1 : 35x9
Set 2 : 30x3
Set 3 : 25x1
Set 4 : 20x2

overhead hammer curl w/ rope 163.33

ALSO DROP SET-

Set 1 : 100x19
Set 2 : 80x8
Set 3 : 60x12
Set 4 : 40x15

Jacked...

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A guy is forced out of town for business and checks in to see Thomas had a new log and training program! Back at it Monday for me! Nice job so far, beastman!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A guy is forced out of town for business and checks in to see Thomas had a new log and training program! Back at it Monday for me! Nice job so far, beastman!
I new you'd find me! Welcome!

You gotta hold down the fort Monday. Or press it...

turff49

turff49

Awards
Going to have those arms all bulging, veiny, and pumped before the game!
Brutal - 100x19 it's a wonder the arms didn't explode!!
Have fun at the game today!