TGR's Modified PowerBuilding v2.0

iddc

iddc

Awards
I mad the perfect pre-hunting cocktail of Apple STIMUL8, Apple BCAA/SAA, and Muscle Fiber
Mmmmm, mix some vanilla whey with that!

iddc

iddc

Awards
Damn13 reps man! Keepin' it strong!

What type of warm uo/mobility do you do?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mmmmm, mix some vanilla whey with that!
Haha. Gross... I forgot about that. I still only have chocolate on hand, but despite my better judgement I will one day try it.

Damn13 reps man! Keepin' it strong!

What type of warm uo/mobility do you do?
Thanks man!

None... Just the bar and lighter weight warm ups.

Do you recommend something?

iddc

iddc

Awards
Haha. Gross... I forgot about that. I still only have chocolate on hand, but despite my better judgement I will one day try it.

Thanks man!

None... Just the bar and lighter weight warm ups.

Do you recommend something?
Make sure it's apple stimul8!!

Check out Chris duffin's arching and set up for bench press.
I also throw in some banded shoulder work and side lying windmills. (which I learned about from sean)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make sure it's apple stimul8!!

Check out Chris duffin's arching and set up for bench press.
I also throw in some banded shoulder work and side lying windmills. (which I learned about from sean)
Will do. Thanks.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stupid Jefir is acting funny on logs. Erased half my logging from yesterday, and added the hounded work to today's back day. Technology, grr...

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Barbell Deadlift 426.67

All belt-less and chalk-less except the 320#

One minute rest on all except the two AMRAPs

Set 1 : 150x5
Set 2 : 190x5
Set 3 : 245x5
Set 4 : 280x5
-
Set 5 : 320x10 VIDEO/Rep PR

Set 6 : 280x5
-
Set 7 : 245x12

Meadows Row 161

I usually start strapless but after the first rep realized my grip was gone from deads-

Set 1 : 70x10
Set 2 : 105x10
Set 3 : 115x12 (had 2-3 more left in my right, none in my left)
Set 4 : 105x8

1.5 Hammer Strength High Row 120

1 full ROM + 1/2 ROM = 1 rep

Set 1 : 90x10
Set 2 : 90x9
Set 3 : 90x8

These gave me a crazy pump.

320x10

http://youtu.be/JmZkM61KpmU

Grip gave out on 7 and had to readjust. I read somewhere that the more reps you do the more you lose your starting form. Should I slow down and readjust with each rep, or is this just what happens on AMRAPs?

About to head to see my wife and will lose phone/internet for most of the time there. I'll check in when possible.

Stay hungry my friends.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Awesome job!! You made that look easy!! Gotta love the view off to the side too! ;)

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
I'm in ! I used 5/3/1 when I did powerlifting and know it very well good luck !

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome job!! You made that look easy!! Gotta love the view off to the side too! ;)
Lol. Really..? She's one of the few that deadlifts there and has phenomenal form. Can't be more than 110# BW.

Thanks Kat!

I'm in ! I used 5/3/1 when I did powerlifting and know it very well good luck !
Welcome Lucky! Glad to have you!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lol. Really..? She's one of the few that deadlifts there and has phenomenal form. Can't be more than 110# BW. Thanks Kat! Welcome Lucky! Glad to have you!
That's too cool!

turff49

turff49

Awards
Super lifting today!! Seems the time in the woods was good for the gym. You made that 320 look too easy. Need to load 405 on there...you got it, easy!!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Super lifting today!! Seems the time in the woods was good for the gym. You made that 320 look too easy. Need to load 405 on there...you got it, easy!!
Next week is heavy singles! We'll see what happens...

Thanks Turff!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would always reset each rep. It's a DEADlift. Just like touch n' go bench, you can always squeeze out more touch n' go deadlift reps. People tend to pull a little high hipped that way and form has a greater potential to break down in the higher rep range.

IMO, squat and deadlift: There's nothing wrong with shutting it down at the minimum rep. On your 5's week, shut it down at rep 5, ect. This can also leave more room in the tank to hit heavier singles/doubles/triples after. In Beyond 5/3/1, he even has templates where you would do that.

So, always shut down AMRAP sets before form breaks...and shutting things down at minimum rep isn't bad either.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would always reset each rep. It's a DEADlift. Just like touch n' go bench, you can always squeeze out more touch n' go deadlift reps. People tend to pull a little high hipped that way and form has a greater potential to break down in the higher rep range.

IMO, squat and deadlift: There's nothing wrong with shutting it down at the minimum rep. On your 5's week, shut it down at rep 5, ect. This can also leave more room in the tank to hit heavier singles/doubles/triples after. In Beyond 5/3/1, he even has templates where you would do that.

So, always shut down AMRAP sets before form breaks...and shutting things down at minimum rep isn't bad either.
Thanks Sean! Will do.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I always reset every rep. This is very tedious and winding, and like Sean said you'll lose some reps, but they will be cleaner & reinforcing proper technique every rep. That WILL carry over to your 1RM.

Sean's referring to what Wendler calls "Joker Sets", which I've mentioned before. Basically lets you focus more on building maximal strength as the expense of some volume. Cut it at the minimum rep then perform singles adding 5% every rep til you don't believe you can continue - DO NOT MISS. Leave something on the table; missing in training is pointless and puts up mental barriers.

Wendler advises to only do this at most ever other week. And truthfully, you can't have 4 max effort days/wk over and over and not burn out, so the point is to pick and choose the days you do this. Lower body will benefit more from this than the pressing.

PM me if you need more info on Beyond 5/3/1. Making awesome progress.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always reset every rep. This is very tedious and winding, and like Sean said you'll lose some reps, but they will be cleaner & reinforcing proper technique every rep. That WILL carry over to your 1RM.

Sean's referring to what Wendler calls "Joker Sets", which I've mentioned before. Basically lets you focus more on building maximal strength as the expense of some volume. Cut it at the minimum rep then perform singles adding 5% every rep til you don't believe you can continue - DO NOT MISS. Leave something on the table; missing in training is pointless and puts up mental barriers.

Wendler advises to only do this at most ever other week. And truthfully, you can't have 4 max effort days/wk over and over and not burn out, so the point is to pick and choose the days you do this. Lower body will benefit more from this than the pressing.

PM me if you need more info on Beyond 5/3/1. Making awesome progress.
Thanks man.

I'll try this on squat and dead day, stopping the AMRAPs before the "+" and doing +5% singles.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Joker sets do not have to be singles. Doubles and triples work too

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
You killed that 320! I think you should stay at your numbers and hit them. If the program says 5 that day do the cleanest 5 and stop. I know you were hype and kept going but on the big lifts just hit the numbers and stop later down the road you will be much stronger trust the program.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Joker sets do not have to be singles. Doubles and triples work too
I'll keep at the doubles an triples then on Joker sets unless it's single(s) week.

Congrats on that PR Thomas!
Thanks man!

You killed that 320! I think you should stay at your numbers and hit them. If the program says 5 that day do the cleanest 5 and stop. I know you were hype and kept going but on the big lifts just hit the numbers and stop later down the road you will be much stronger trust the program.
Thanks Lucky!

The program called for 5+, but didn't suggest like it did last week to go for a rep PR. Next time on this 5's week on 5+'s maybe I'll stop at 5 or do +1, then do another 5 or a couple of extra triples/doubles like L&S mentioned.

I feel so taxed right now; shoulders, chest, back, traps...

I love it...

Test today because I'm out of town. I'll have Internet till about 1 so I'll check in on everyone's logs shortly.

Thanks you everyone for the critique and advice. It is much appreciated.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The program's point is to do additional reps, hence 5+. 5 is the bare minimum, but Wendler advocates pushing up to where there's just a bit left in the tank, or doing additional work with the jokers after. So he is sticking to his programming. Like you said, following it consistently is gonna be what gets your results in the long haul.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OHP/Shoulders with some chest work-

Barbell Shoulder Press 151.67

1m Rests
Set 1 : 45x5
Set 2 : 60x5
Set 3 : 80x5
Set 4 : 95x5

Set 5 : 115x5

3m R
Set 6 : 130x5

2m R
Set 7 : 115x5

2m R
Set 8 : 100x12

-I tried to utilize "lat shelf", like LiftAndSwim suggested in his thread and it worked. These all felt more controlled with little to no leg shaking. I say little becomes i caught myself on one rep with the 130 but fixed it immediately.

Also, 130 seems to be my current 5R max. I had nothing left for an extra rep. Does this mean I should adjust my trains max or keep at it until I "miss" a prescribed rep?

Kept with one minute rests between all SS's except for a phone call...

SUPERSET:

Barbell Incline Bench Press 234.33

Set 1 : 135x10
Set 2 : 155x10

PHONE CALL (5min)

Set 3 : 185x8 PR

Set 4 : 185x4 DROP TO+
Set 4 : 135x12 w/ no lockout

I had no idea 185x8 was going to be a PR. Then again, I've never done them previously until after I've already taxed my chest. Was actually planning on doing banded inclines, but when I went to warmup up with 135 it felt like a million pounds.

This PR was for Steve and his beastly 315 incline press and mammoth grunt. Can't find the video tho...

Cable Lateral Raise 40

-out to the side, above my ear, from behind the back…

Set 1 : 25x12
Set 2 : 30x10

These next two sets were done from behind the back going forward in front of my nose…

Set 3 : 25x10
Set 4 : 25x10

SUPERSET:

Banded Hammer Strength Shoulder Press 66

Weight per side with a blue band attached to each side.

Set 1 : 45x10
Set 2 : 55x6
Set 3 : 45x6 dropped bands +
Set 4 : 45x3

I probably had 3 to 4 left in the tank on the first set, but after the spider crawl superset my strength dropped fast.

Spider Crawl N/A

Set 1 : --
00:00:45 blue band
Set 2 : --
00:00:45 blue and red
Set 3 : --
00:00:45 blue

Stretched the arms as absolutely wide as possible.

NOTEs:

This was a fun one. I got a real nice shoulder pump.

FIL was doing well and was supposed to come home from the hospital today. The phone call I got was that he had a stroke. He seems to be okay but we are waiting on test results...

Of his six kids my wife is the only one up there and three of them haven't gone to see him at all and have no intentions to, even now. Seems effed up to me.

Food prep time. :D

turff49

turff49

Awards
Great news on the FIL! Will keep him in my prayers. Family can be a fickle bunch. Good thing your wife is there for him.

Congrats on the PR's awesome! And the dedication of them to Steve, I'm sure he's smiling and grunting!

justanotherj

justanotherj

Awards
Good job on the pressing Jr. Engaging the lats really helps keep everything tight and organized so you can really generate that torque. The more stable platform you have, the easier it is to drive.

Do you push your head "through the gate" or your arms when you press?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Turff!

Good job on the pressing Jr. Engaging the lats really helps keep everything tight and organized so you can really generate that torque. The more stable platform you have, the easier it is to drive.

Do you push your head "through the gate" or your arms when you press?
Thanks J!

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I stand with my legs about shoulder width apart, kinda stick my chest forward to give the bar a free path without hitting my face, and attempt to follow through or aim higher than the length of my arms. Almost makes them a little explosive.

justanotherj

justanotherj

Awards
Thanks Turff!

Thanks J!

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I stand with my legs about shoulder width apart, kinda stick my chest forward to give the bar a free path without hitting my face, and attempt to follow through or aim higher than the length of my arms. Almost makes them a little explosive.
it's just positioning.

I'll see if I can find an article that will describe it better than I can.

So you start chest out, chin tucked back a little, elbows in front of the bar.

Basically once the bar makes its pass and clears your head space: you push your head through your arms and shoulders to be in a better position for pressing/lock out so that the barbell is in line with your ears/shoulders/hips/knees etc.
NomZ may be better at articulating what I'm saying with the "why."

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it's just positioning.

Basically once the bar makes its pass and clears your head space: you push your head through your arms and shoulders to be in a better position for pressing/lock out so that the barbell is in line with your ears/shoulders/hips/knees etc.
Ah. I think I get what you mean.

I'm not really sure without videoing myself or paying more attention during the sets. Next OHP day I will. Thinking about it after the fact though I don't believe that I do.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats on the PRs! I like seeing the OHPs!

Sorry about FIL and wish your wife well with her dealing with it.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417386218.428443.jpg

Food prep and workout prep done. Ready to take this week on.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Latshelf is real, and it really helps starting the lift with a solid platform. Really, this is what you want when you bench too. All the muscles to be contracted tight and piled up on each other like a spring for when you begin the press.

Glad the father in law is supposed to come home; hopefully the worst is all through.

Congrats on the PR; you know Steve is smiling after that set. That was a great video lol

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it's just positioning.

So you start chest out, chin tucked back a little, elbows in front of the bar.

My cues for OHP include spreading the lats to create a stable shelf to rack the bar with, which would carry over well to a push press or jerk. Drive the chin back to allow the bar to drive straight up, once the bar passes the forhead, the head returns to a neutral position so you find the bar directly overhead.

Hope this helps.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys. I'll keep the shelf and moving my head "through the gate" on my mind next time and get video if I can find my recording phone.

Rest day today. Didn't feel motivated to go do arms so I went back to bed. Legs tomorrow.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great OHP's Thomas! 130 is strong! Glad your FIL seems to be doing ok! I hate that it is all falling on your wife! That's very frustrating! I'm praying for your wife too! Enjoy your rest day!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great OHP's Thomas! 130 is strong! Glad your FIL seems to be doing ok! I hate that it is all falling on your wife! That's very frustrating! I'm praying for your wife too! Enjoy your rest day!
....What Kat said. :)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks y'all.

Feeling lazy today, of course.

FIL had a third stroke this morning. Haven't had an update since then.

turff49

turff49

Awards
Thanks y'all. Feeling lazy today, of course. FIL had a third stroke this morning. Haven't had an update since then.
So sorry for you and your wife. That really sucks man.

justanotherj

justanotherj

Awards
Thoughts and prayers out to your family Jr.

Are you guys local to him, or far out?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Legs

1m rests on everything, except 3m before squat AMRAPs, and about 5m break after the SLDLs so that my lower back pumps could cease.

I had my usual FINAFLEX goodies pre, and sweat my butt off.

Barbell Squat 340

Set 1 : 45x5
Set 2 : 135x5
Set 3 : 150x5
Set 4 : 180x5
Set 5 : 195x5
Set 6 : 225x5
+Belt
Set 7 : 255x10
-Belt
Set 8 : 225x5
Set 9 : 195x10 Speed/explosive

I should've put the belt on from set 6 on. My lower back was so tight and knotted that it was painful to do SLDLs, so I dropped them.

By the time I got to 255 I was starting to already feel spent. Seems like quite a bit of volume...

The reason I didn't stop at 5 reps on the AMRAPs and continue with X, is because it was suggested that I don't do that every week and next week is singles week and I'm hoping for a singles PR. Am I looking at this wrong?

Barbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift 157.5

Set 1 : 135x5 too painful...

Somersault Squats 153.33

Set 1 : 95x10
Set 2 : 95x10
Set 3 : 105x10
+ Bar Pad
Set 4 : 115x10 PR

Lying Leg Curls 215.33

Set 1 : 65x8
Set 2 : 125x8

DROPSET
Set 3 : 170x8
Set 4 : 110x3
Set 5 : 65x5

These were a little tight on my low back on the drop set, which is why the two drops were so low in reps.

Bulgarian Split Squats 1.5

Set 1 : 1x15 Each Leg

Seated Calf Raise 378

Set 1 : 180x33
Set 2 : 180x18
Set 3 : 135x20

Despite the high volume and my ego getting hurt, the squats felt very smooth. I was confident enough on every rep that I didn't "slow into the hole", if you know what I mean.

I've also dropped calories starting yesterday. Yesterday I hit 2200 and the goal today will be 2600. I will adjust according to how my body feels and recovers.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers about the FIL. He's at the VA, and has been waiting since Sunday for an MRI. Ridiculous. I will keep my thoughts about government run healthcare to myself...