T-Bone2's - DMBP

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
After a very successful cutting run with Bobo from last April and through most of the summer (~17-19% BF to mid 11% BF), I'm on the Deluxe Muscle Building Program now. I'm two weeks in at this point.

Starting Stats
5'8" Meso, 164 Lbs, 12.3%BF (144 LBM/20 BF)

Currently I feel pretty small. I definately lost some muscule along with the fat this past summer. I did go down ~3 pant sizes (32.5"-30"), but I'm ready to begin adding some mass.

I'll be doing the measurements weekly and using the Tanita body fat scale at my gym. Not highly accurate, but should tell me which direction I'm headed and if I begin to accumulate BF at too high of a rate.

Start of first week (10/1/06)
Weight: 164 @ 12.3% (144/20)
<No initial measurments>

End of first week (10/7/06)
Weight: 165 @ 12.9% (144/21)
Chest: 42.5"
Waist: 31.0"
Arm: 15.5"
Thigh: 21.0"
Workout: 100%
Diet: 95%

End of second week (10/14/06)
Weight: 166 @ 13.1% (144/22)
Chest: 42.0" (-0.5")
Waist: 31.0"
Arm: 15.25" (-0.25")
Thigh: 21.5" (+0.5")

A little increase in BF with a slight increase in thigh size. I tend to hold BF around the middle and in the thigh.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
BTW, I think Bobo might have messed up on my program. Crowler's cookies are no where to be found on the shopping list!

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of third week (10/21/06)
Weight: 168 @ 13.9% (145 LBM/23 BF -> +1/+3)
Chest: 43.0" (+0.5")
Waist: 31.25" (+0.25")
Arm: 15.5" (No Change)
Thigh: 21.5" (+0.5")

Looking "fuller," but also losing vascularity. Lbs tracking for LBM and BF since beginning of program added above. While the Tanita scale leaves something to be desired for accuracy, it is showing that BF is increasing at a rate above LBM at the moment. Missed two bagels and one Tbsp flax oil this past week, otherwise diet was on.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of fourth week (10/28/06)
Weight: 170 @ 14.7% (145 LBM/25 BF -> +1/+5)
Waist: 32.0" (+1.0")
Arm: 16.0" (+0.5")
Thigh: 21.75" (+0.75")

Missed one can of tuna, one bagel, one Tbsp flax oil and substituted a Subway grilled chicken sandwich (wheat bread, no mayonnaise, oil or cheese) for chicken breast and a bagel this past week, otherwise diet was on.

I'm not enjoying the LBM-to-BF ratio change at this point. Hopefully week five will bring a different distribution.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't worry to much, t. You've probably added more LBM than you think; 0.5'' on the arm in 4 weeks?! That's a serious amount!

If you were dieting all the way upto the start of your bulk, then you might have alot of glycogen (and therefore water) which may be messing with, as you say, a rather innaccurate way of measuring BF.

I read something that Layne Norton wrote (str8flexd) that said the body holds approx 2.7g of water for every 1g of glycogen, so that might be the cause of the decreased vascularity!

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bms0lsc.

I was actually eating around maintenance for 3+ weeks before I started the bulk, but was still doing a bit of cardio at that time.

As for the measurments, I think that there is a certain margin of error to the measuring each week. I measure on the same day and time each week, but using a measuring tape isn't (obviously) an exact science.

I'm sure you're right about the glycogen and water uptake with the addtional carbs that I'm currently ingesting.

Still, I hate to see the vascularity fade... At least I know now what it will take to bring it back next spring.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of fifth week (11/04/06)
Weight: 171 @ 13.6% (148 LBM/23 BF -> +4/+3)
Waist: 32.25" (+1.25")
Arm: 15.75" (+0.25")
Thigh: 22.25" (+2.25")
Diet: 75%

Diet was off as I was in training at work for four days this week, so I missed several meals and had multiple "substitutions" as a result. I'm uncertain about the percentage change in BF this week, that's what the BF scale read.

Increased weight on most lifts this week.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of sixth week (11/11/06)
Weight: 173 @ 14.8% (147 LBM/26 BF -> +3/+6)
Chest: 42.5" (n/c)
Waist: 31.5" (+0.5")
Arm: 15.5" (n/c)
Thigh: 22.0" (+2.0")
Diet: 93%

A couple of minor substitutions for meals this week, but it didn't impact macros and Kcals much. For the six weeks, I'm up 9 lbs with a 2:1 distribution between fat:LBM.

Continued to increased weight on most lifts this week.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of seventh week (11/18/06)
Weight: 175 @ 16.9%! (145 LBM/30 BF -> +1/+10)
Chest: 43" (+0.5")
Waist: 31.75" (+0.75")
Arm: 15.5" (n/c)
Thigh: 21.5" (+1.5")
Diet: 93%

Two additional cheat meals this week, but the macros and Kcals were fairly close to plan. Don't know what to say this week, perhaps an anomaly in the Tanita. With Thanksgiving this week, I probably won't be near 100% on the diet. If the Tanita reading is above 17% next week, my plan is to begin to slowly throw in some cardio or slightly reduce overall Kcals. I can say with certainty that if I'm really ~17% BF then I must have been into the 20s when I began cutting last April - and I'm fairly certain I wasn't that high. I probably need to get someone to do calipers on me.

Also, the tape isn’t showing much of an increase at the four sites so I think the eleven pounds are proportionately distributed.

Continued to increase weight on most lifts this week.

Bobo, any guidance at this point?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Yeah, throw the Tanita in the garbage. I remember I was 16% when I was actually 9%. Pay no attention to it, its your measurements. If your waist is only .75 inches bigger, then you certainly haven't gained 4% bf. Not even close :)

If you are increasing in your lifts, you are growing, period. These workouts in no way are gauged towards strength training.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of eighth week (11/25/06)
Weight: 176 lbs (+12 lbs)
Chest: 43.5" (+1.0")
Waist: 32.0" (+1.0")
Thigh: 22.0" (+2.0")
Diet: ~85%

Took Bobo's suggestion and threw the Tanita in the garbage. Unfortunately, the manager of the gym made me put it back... I'll stick to the tape and the mirror to gauge BF and will go for calipers at some point.

Thanksgiving threw a wrench into the diet this week. I attempted to eat as clean as possible, but I did some serious "carb loading" on stuffing and sweet yams!

While I countinue to adhere to Bobo's TUT protocol almost all of my lifts continue to increase week-to-week. However, I'm definately feeling sore alot and probably not recoving fully so I'm going to keep the weight were it is for a little while.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
During the 'week 1' workout, I do chest exercises on sunday and again on wednesday. Occasionally my pecs are still a little sore before starting wednesday's workout, but it's no bother.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is DOMS doesn't have an absolute correlation with muscle recovery, so the muscle itself might be 'good to go' but the chemicals that cause the pain might still be lingering about. Similarly, if you do a leg workout and get no DOMS, that doesn't mean you could do another a few days later. God forbid!! ;)

Then again, if you FEEL like you're not recovering, then you're doing the right thing.

And keep up the good work, those are some good gains:)

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input bms. Probably should have been more clear. Not really DOMS per se, it is more of a CNS thing. I've encountered the signs before - lethargy, achey, mildly running nose, increased resting HR upon awakening, etc, but don't really feel sick. Usually solved by taking a week to decondition or slighly reducing overall volume.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of ninth week (12/02/06)
Weight: 177 lbs (+13 lbs)
Thigh: 22.75" (+2.75")
Diet: ~93%

I threw some light post-workout cardio into the mix this week. Two 25 minute session on the treadmill, inclined at a brisk walk. Still paranoid about the last episode with the Tanita.

Didn't get all of the recommended meals, but was able to replace three with close macronutrient equivalents.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of tenth week (12/09/06)
Weight: 178 lbs (+14 lbs)

Still moving along.

I did end up missing a couple of meals this week due to some overly long meetings at work.

I also participated in an interesting thread over at t-nation. I used to hang out there a lot before I found this place. I didn't realized how much Bobo has had to work to evangalize the nutritional concepts he's researched and learned. Some people aren't open to new ideas even when presented with mounting research.

Testosterone Nation - High-GI Carbs PWO Debunked??

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of eleventh week (12/16/06)
Weight: 180 lbs (+16 lbs)
Measurements: n/a

No measurements this week. A power outage left the temperature in my house in the low to mid 50s when I normally measure. Last thing I wanted to do was spend time butt naked taking measurements in that temp!

Weather and work also affected the diet this week. Not too far off, but not 100%. Also continued cardio 2x 30 minutes post training this week.

I'll be on this program one more week and then I'm gonna' change some things around.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
End of twelfth week (12/23/06)
Weight: 181 lbs (+17 lbs)
Waist: 32.5" (+1.5")
Arm: 15.75"+ (+0.25"+)

Diet: ~90%

Strength continues to climb in all lifts, but time to change things up. So, I'm gonna' call this the end of Bobo's program, in a strict sense. On the diet side, I'll continue to bulk but may begin to alter some things. I'll also be changing up workouts to increase volume and rotate some exercises.

So final assessment for me is that Bobo knows his stuff in both directions (cut & bulk.) And what I've learned is gonna' be useful for long into the future.

Good investment for me, should have done it long before as I was on the fence of parting with the dollars for a long time. In retrospect, that was a mistake.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hi fella,

you say you lost lean mass whilst cutting? what do you attribute this too?

My first impressions would be the possible length of the cut? Seems like a long time.

Im planning on cutting for 12-14 weeks atm.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
you say you lost lean mass whilst cutting? what do you attribute this too?
Probably overzealous on the HIIT. Bobo doesn't recommend HIIT, he's for steady state cardio. I had just obtained a new pair of Nike Air Vomeros and had a great track nearby that was good for 100m, 200m and 400m. And it was summer...

Also, there seems to be a carry over effect from dieting. It seems like everytime I transition off the diet and back to a maintenance level of Kcals, I continue to lose bodyweight for a period of time. In the future, I will probably tend toward maintenance by slowly increasing Kcals over several weeks as I approach my BF target.

BTW, just as an update I'm up to ~191 now. Can't describe myself as "lean," but I'm still at a 32 inch waist with minimal increase in love handles. Haven't taken any measurements, however.

Changed up the lifting routine considerably from Bobo's original plan and somewhat altered his diet. While I'm adhering to most of his food choices, I'm giving myself more latitude. I am keeping the first and last meals the same as he originally prescribed. And I'm doing two session of cardio per week for ~30 minutes each.

I'll post more when I complete this bulk, probably in May.