Supplements to Increase Endurance

mavup

Awards
  • First Up Vote
ND Cordyceps 10% extract is the absolute best endurance found in a supplement. Peak02 at 4 grams would be next and then BLR Follidrone.
Not trying to derail this, but do you ever go above 250mg recommended on the 10% Cordyceps? I take 250mg every day pwo and love it, but wonder about benefits at higher doses

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not trying to derail this, but do you ever go above 250mg recommended on the 10% Cordyceps? I take 250mg every day pwo and love it, but wonder about benefits at higher doses
any coupon codes for ND Cordyceps?

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I do 500mg of the 10% cordyceps extract. I love it at that dose.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any more aerobic enhancers you guys can think of?

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I advocate breathing, as well.
🙂
More, controlled breathing. Forcing the body to tolerate CO2 and to use oxygen more efficiently. Training at altitude can also accomplish this.

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
We all are effectively doing this by working out at the gym with our masks on. You can increase the effect by holding your breath periodically as well.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We all are effectively doing this by working out at the gym with our masks on. You can increase the effect by holding your breath periodically as well.
Do you hold your breath when doing 10 reps of biceps curls? How do you breathe for that.

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do you hold your breath when doing 10 reps of biceps curls? How do you breathe for that.
30 sec break between sets. 10 sec hold breath, 10 sec breathe normally through the nose (do not gasp for air), 10 sec hold breath, hit the next set. You can add 20 sec if you need more time or are doing a heavy/compound movement.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Building endurance by restricting (and then later adding back in) Oxygen intake is a thing.

Restricting Oxygen intake (particularly by holding your breath) while weight lifting is not something that I would ever do or recommend.

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Building endurance by restricting (and then later adding back in) Oxygen intake is a thing.

Restricting Oxygen intake (particularly by holding your breath) while weight lifting is not something that I would ever do or recommend.
No, absolutely not! Breathe as you should while lifting. Work on the CO2 tolerance between sets.

Last edited:
jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, absolutely not! Breath as you should while lifting. Work on the CO2 tolerance between sets.
Is this wrong? He takes in air, holds his breath while squatting, lets air out at the top of the squat.

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Is this wrong? He takes in air, holds his breath while squatting, lets air out at the top of the squat.

This is sort of how I do. I always breathe into the stomach when lifting anything. It is especially important when doing a lift the hits the core!

When squatting, I breathe in for the first half of the way down, hold and exhale once I've got the weight moving back up.

Experiment for yourself. See what works best for you. Just keep in mind that if you are holding your breath and forcing your body to tolerate CO2, it will fight back! I had a lot of lightheaded gym sessions figuring this technique out, but it has done wonders for my endurance!

I'll also add that if you have anxiety, you can use the same technique anywhere, anytime to help ground yourself. This doesn't just flood the muscles with oxygen, it also goes into the organs, including the brain.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I see people have already mentioned Cordyceps to you. Here's a thread that was posted in the supplement section awhile back that discusses various EAA/BCAA/carbohydrate drinks that can help with endurance.

I recommend the carbohydrate drink mix CytoMax it has long and short acting carbs like pure dextrose, maltodextrin and their own proprietary carb called Alpha-L-Polylactate that has been shown to increase endurance in a study. It also contains electrolytes and other good stuff.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see people have already mentioned Cordyceps to you. Here's a thread that was posted in the supplement section awhile back that discusses various EAA/BCAA/carbohydrate drinks that can help with endurance.

I recommend the carbohydrate drink mix CytoMax it has long and short acting carbs like pure dextrose, maltodextrin and their own proprietary carb called Alpha-L-Polylactate that has been shown to increase endurance in a study. It also contains electrolytes and other good stuff.

Thank you sir!

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This breathing technique stuff is interesting! Now I don’t know if this is true but my dad told me growing up that arnold used to swim and maximize the time he would hold his breath underwater in hopes to increase the size of his chest cavity.

This seems like it’s unlikely to happen as once you are finished growing after puberty you can’t really expand your chest. Just an interesting thought.

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
This breathing technique stuff is interesting! Now I don’t know if this is true but my dad told me growing up that arnold used to swim and maximize the time he would hold his breath underwater in hopes to increase the size of his chest cavity.

This seems like it’s unlikely to happen as once you are finished growing after puberty you can’t really expand your chest. Just an interesting thought.
Actually, one of the side effects of HGH is the chest growing/expanding, so that's not entirely accurate. The swimming, combined with CO2 tolerance certainly would have helped his endurance and possibly aided the expansion of the chest.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oxygen. No, seriously.
Medical grade oxygen is actually something you can buy at the drugstore otc and is a solid performance enhancer. I have seen athletes use it several times at world level strongman shoes - right before the athlete goes out, take a few rips from the can to hyper-oxygenate. Great for minute long strongman events.

This is how you properly breathe for all heavy lifting, especially squatting. I am not a great lifter by any means, but I did squat 617lbs in knee sleeves in competition this summer - I can promise you I would not have been able to stay up under that weight without a belly full of air to pressurize my core while I brace.

Now if you are doing 12+ reps, it’s probably light enough you can be more fluid with your breathing, but when it’s strength work you need to be tight when you are in the hole.

Cytomax is actually a pretty solid carb blend - probably the best I have found at such an affordable price point. Night and day better than cheaper stuff like Gatorade, and much cheaper than the next step up like Karbolyn and Vitargo. After that, there’s only Cyclic Dextrin paired with strategic timed glucose tab or honey administration - that is the GOAT for on demand blood sugar manipulation.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am not a great lifter by any means, but I did squat 617lbs in knee sleeves in competition this summer - I can promise you I would not have been able to stay up under that weight without a belly full of air to pressurize my core while I brace.

Now if you are doing 12+ reps, it’s probably light enough you can be more fluid with your breathing, but when it’s strength work you need to be tight when you are in the hole.

I do have to agree with Hyde here. For those HEAVY weights it does sometimes take that stability of a held breath. (But for most of us here, under most circumstances, I recommend trying to breathe).

Be careful guys.
Ever see guys pass out?

BRB ...

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do have to agree with Hyde here. For those HEAVY weights it does sometimes take that stability of a held breath. (But for most of us here, under most circumstances, I recommend trying to breathe).

Be careful guys.
Ever see guys pass out?

BRB ...

Oh man, the one where the dude fell into the wall and his legs went the wrong way... Yikes!

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Oh man, the one where the dude fell into the wall and his legs went the wrong way... Yikes!
Yeah man. These things can turn out all different ways.
I've seen guys pass out, but thankfully none of them were hurt.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Be careful guys.
Ever see guys pass out?

BRB ...

It’s not about the absolute number on the bar - it’s the relative intensity/percentage of current maximal potential for exertion. This means a guy who squats 225 as a max needs to be doing this with everything over about 135 probably if he wants to stay as safe as possible. It’s also not about “not breathing” - it’s about creating ideal intraabdominal pressure.

So things like benching or seated pressing this is less necessary, and certainly not isolations or most machine work, while things where the core is constantly loaded like bentover rowing, all deadlift variations, good mornings, cleans, standing pressing/jerks it becomes imperative. You have to breathe between the reps, not during the eccentric or concentric.

How many guys do you see at every commercial gym wearing a belt the entire arm session who will tell you how barbell rows or deadlifts took their back out? Plenty, and it’s not because they were uniquely fragile - it’s because they just didn’t know how to brace properly.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s not about the absolute number on the bar - it’s the relative intensity/percentage of current maximal potential for exertion. This means a guy who squats 225 as a max needs to be doing this with everything over about 135 probably if he wants to stay as safe as possible. It’s also not about “not breathing” - it’s about creating ideal intraabdominal pressure.

So things like benching or seated pressing this is less necessary, and certainly not isolations or most machine work, while things where the core is constantly loaded like bentover rowing, all deadlift variations, good mornings, cleans, standing pressing/jerks it becomes imperative. You have to breathe between the reps, not during the eccentric or concentric.

How many guys do you see at every commercial gym wearing a belt the entire arm session who will tell you how barbell rows or deadlifts took their back out? Plenty, and it’s not because they were uniquely fragile - it’s because they just didn’t know how to brace properly.
Yep.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually, one of the side effects of HGH is the chest growing/expanding, so that's not entirely accurate. The swimming, combined with CO2 tolerance certainly would have helped his endurance and possibly aided the expansion of the chest.
Oh that’s fascinating! So maybe there is some truth to the tale about Arnold.

Could MK-677 help with this?

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh that’s fascinating! So maybe there is some truth to the tale about Arnold.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Medical grade oxygen is actually something you can buy at the drugstore otc and is a solid performance enhancer. I have seen athletes use it several times at world level strongman shoes - right before the athlete goes out, take a few rips from the can to hyper-oxygenate. Great for minute long strongman events.

This is how you properly breathe for all heavy lifting, especially squatting. I am not a great lifter by any means, but I did squat 617lbs in knee sleeves in competition this summer - I can promise you I would not have been able to stay up under that weight without a belly full of air to pressurize my core while I brace.

Cytomax is actually a pretty solid carb blend - probably the best I have found at such an affordable price point. Night and day better than cheaper stuff like Gatorade, and much cheaper than the next step up like Karbolyn and Vitargo. After that, there’s only Cyclic Dextrin paired with strategic timed glucose tab or honey administration - that is the GOAT for on demand blood sugar manipulation.
I already have an intra-workout shake. Carb powder, BCAA’s, electrolytes and creatine.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I inhale on the concentric phase, hold during the initial press/pull and then exhale forcefully on the eccentric.

That’s only for the big compound movements that require a strong core. Otherwise I just breath pretty regularly during my workout.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I currently ordered all of the below:

Cardarine
Peak O2 by SNS
kSM 66
Beriberine
Theanine
Epicatechin
Vaso-6
ND cordyceps

When should theanine be taken? Doesn’t it have a calming effect?

When should cordyceps be taken?

All others will take preworkout.

Bring on the aerobic endurance! Cardio about to be stupid easy.

Last edited:

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
More, controlled breathing. Forcing the body to tolerate CO2 and to use oxygen more efficiently. Training at altitude can also accomplish this.

Will be trying this in between sets.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

“Not a great lifter only had a 617lb squat”. Damn man don’t doubt yourself! That’s an impressive squat for sure!

This is typically how I breath during compound movements. Not necessarily for arms though. As you state it’s not needed to have increased intra-abdominal pressure during light movements.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When should theanine be taken? Doesn’t it have a calming effect?
The Theanine would be used preWO in conjunction with a greater dose of stimulants for the purpose maintaining a lower heart rate/ blood pressure.

I use it so that I can tolerate more stimulants like ephedrine or amphetamine analogies like DMHA and reap their performance benefits (pain reduction/perceived reduction in fatigue/increased time to exhaustion/increased force output) without becoming exhausted from an excessive heart rate.

I don’t know why you want more endurance or what for specifically, so I am assuming for longer or harder training sessions.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Theanine would be used preWO in conjunction with a greater dose of stimulants for the purpose maintaining a lower heart rate/ blood pressure.

I use it so that I can tolerate more stimulants like ephedrine or amphetamine analogies like DMHA and reap their performance benefits (pain reduction/perceived reduction in fatigue/increased time to exhaustion/increased force output) without becoming exhausted from an excessive heart rate.

I don’t know why you want more endurance or what for specifically, so I am assuming for longer or harder training sessions.
Okay I can take it pre-workout with my actual preworkout.

I want more endurance so I can do longer harder cardio sessions, to burn fat more effectively essentially. Kinda like I explained earlier without cardarine i can only tolerate 45min on the treadmill at full incline at 2.8mph. With cardarine I can do 45min, full incline, at 3.1mph. I also sometimes bike fasted in the morning (I just have my regular bike on a stand) and I can tolerate an extra gear or two higher resistance with the cardirine. Fasted cardio I really notice that I get out of breath much quicker then non-fasted cardio.

The side effects of longer, harder weight lifting sessions will just be like an added component. Hence, why I asked for aerobic enhancers and not focusing on anaerobic. I really want to increase the oxidative energy pathway, as opposed to increasing glycolytic and phosphagen pathways. Those pathways you would increase your carb intake and creatine intake to improve.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Okay I can take it pre-workout with my actual preworkout.

I want more endurance so I can do longer harder cardio sessions, to burn fat more effectively essentially. Kinda like I explained earlier without cardarine i can only tolerate 45min on the treadmill at full incline at 2.8mph. With cardarine I can do 45min, full incline, at 3.1mph. I also sometimes bike fasted in the morning (I just have my regular bike on a stand) and I can tolerate an extra gear or two higher resistance with the cardirine. Fasted cardio I really notice that I get out of breath much quicker then non-fasted cardio.

The side effects of longer, harder weight lifting sessions will just be like an added component. Hence, why I asked for aerobic enhancers and not focusing on anaerobic. I really want to increase the oxidative energy pathway, as opposed to increasing glycolytic and phosphagen pathways. Those pathways you would increase your carb intake and creatine intake to improve.
Then you definitely will be using stims, so something like l-Theanine will be great with supps like Yohimbine, Clen, synephrine or ephedrine (or some combo thereof; be safe and smart).

A little Ashwaganda also helps smooth out/relieve the stress from stims if you find yourself mentally anxious from them. In no way will it help fatloss or endurance directly; it just can make dieting and cardio more tolerable sometimes.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm not against those, but I'm not sure they'd help here.
I was really hoping more people would chime in on the discussion on my neurosteroids thread. I'm sure China can source some of the rare neurosteroids mentioned and they could possibly used to help increase mental effects and may possibly even be anabolic. I didn't look for them in the Vida book.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Then you definitely will be using stims, so something like l-Theanine will be great with supps like Yohimbine, Clen, synephrine or ephedrine (or some combo thereof; be safe and smart).

A little Ashwaganda also helps smooth out/relieve the stress from stims if you find yourself mentally anxious from them. In no way will it help fatloss or endurance directly; it just can make dieting and cardio more tolerable sometimes.
Yeah too much yohimbine makes me vomit. Have yet to try clen or ephedrine though.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah too much yohimbine makes me vomit. Have yet to try clen or ephedrine though.
I am a believer in spread out daily dosing with minimum effective doses, like 1-3mg Y, 12.5mg ephedrine, 25mg synephrine, 20-40mcg clenbuterol, 60-100mg caffeine.

Yohimbine is extra useful to liberate fat for ideally fasted cardio or when no carbs have been consumed yet at least. If doing cardio after carbs it’s probably less useful.

Green tea extract should also always be utilized - there’s no reason not to. Stims aren’t for everyone certainly, but ECGCs are actually great for your health.

Now we are getting into cutting and away from endurance chat, but if that’s your goal it’s relevant I think.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am a believer in spread out daily dosing with minimum effective doses, like 1-3mg Y, 12.5mg ephedrine, 25mg synephrine, 20-40mcg clenbuterol, 60-100mg caffeine.

Yohimbine is extra useful to liberate fat for ideally fasted cardio or when no carbs have been consumed yet at least. If doing cardio after carbs it’s probably less useful.

Green tea extract should also always be utilized - there’s no reason not to. Stims aren’t for everyone certainly, but ECGCs are actually great for your health.

Now we are getting into cutting and away from endurance chat, but if that’s your goal it’s relevant I think.
Because of my insomnia I don’t take any caffeine after 3pm. So I would have to look at the half life of the other stimulants.

I do already take green tea extract daily.

Yohimbine I can’t take even at low doses it makes me puke but 1-2mg of alpha-yohimbine I can handle.

Maybe time to try out the other stimulants.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Because of my insomnia I don’t take any caffeine after 3pm. So I would have to look at the half life of the other stimulants.

I do already take green tea extract daily.

Yohimbine I can’t take even at low doses it makes me puke but 1-2mg of alpha-yohimbine I can handle.

Maybe time to try out the other stimulants.
That is the only dose of Y I will do as well. I am very sensitive to it, but it does really help even at the little dose. Synephrine is great for appetite control, as is ephedrine. You can get ephedrine otc at the pharmacy in a lot of states. I prefer Bronkaid and just split the tabs. Makes a ton of servings.

Clen you have to get as a research chem or from a UGL, and it is harsh and not what I would call safe exactly. I encourage you to read studies and make your own educated decisions. Albuterol is a similar milder shorter half-life option too, if you can get it. That is sold as a prescription med in the US.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So today I took cardirine, green tea extract, peakO2, chaos and pains predator (I don’t have my extra beriberine yet), ksm66, cordyceps, vaso6 and my preworkout.

And holy smokes was cardio a breeze today! Started at full incline/2.8 mph for 5 min, ramped it up to 3.0mph for 25min, then 3.2mph for 10min and then 3.5mph for 10min.

My previous best was 3.2mph for a bout 5 min before I was too winded to quit. I definitely could have kept going today!

Then got in a good weight training session.

This was all fasted.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I may even get back to the point where I can run on the treadmill. Currently, I just walk at full incline because I get some bad patellar tendinitis rather quickly and have osgood schlatters in my right knee. My tibial tuberosity is massive and tender still on my right knee.