supplements for "transitional" depression?

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys,

According to your experience, which are the best non-addictive supplements (if exist) for helping in overcoming breakups?
Thanks a lot

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
you may find this thread interesting:

according to one of the articles cited, pregnenolone may be beneficial in helping with loneliness

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
thanks man, does pregnenolone affect estrogen levels? Is it better to supplement it alongside an anti-aromatase? Can you advice a good brand?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
thanks man, does pregnenolone affect estrogen levels? Is it better to supplement it alongside an anti-aromatase? Can you advice a good brand?
iconicformulations.com would be great to run with sustain alpha-SA has natural AI's....good time to get some 30% off sale going on.

also SA always improves my mood + libido enhancement that is top notch---nothing improves mood better than a great libido, at least for me.

mawalega

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Preg is pre dhea. So it'll convert to quite a few things. Can't tell you exactly what without bloods.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
at reasonable doses you shouldn't have issues with estrogen. Should definitely give Neuro P5 a try, it's a topical pregnenolone product from Iconic Formulations - great deal with the Halloween promo we're running right now

mawalega

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So you made me look things up because I've been interested in supplemental preg too... So here you go for your question.

At least with this study, I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So you made me look things up because I've been interested in supplemental preg too... So here you go for your question.

At least with this study, I wouldn't worry too much.

total test before=399 after=446
esradiol before=24.26 after=25.66

those are nice ratios, imo.

mawalega

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Before and after Pregnenolone?
From the study for preg treatment for bipolar disorder.... Believe it was 92 men 20s early 30s, one women since preg levels flux during menstruation

Seems like 2x daily dose with levels peaking at ~5 hours with supplementation up to 500 mg deemed safe from mid 1900's study... Fwiw 😊

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
total test before=399 after=446
esradiol before=24.26 after=25.66

those are nice ratios, imo.
These values are for placebo. For pregnenolone there there almost no differences and even slightly lower after 8 weeks.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
you may find this thread interesting:

according to one of the articles cited, pregnenolone may be beneficial in helping with loneliness
I'm the author of that thread so I just wanted to clarify a few things. Pregnenolone is the hormone cholesterol converts to, so downstream it will convert to every hormone in the AAS pathway. But you're taking such a low dose of 50-100mg. But, because the dose is so low, you don't have to worry about it converting to estrogen or anything like that. That would be like eating eggs and because they have cholesterol in them, you you want to take an AI to prevent the cholesterol from converting to estrogen. :ROFLMAO:

So Pregnenolone is something worth trying. Here are some other supplements for anxiety and depression that have helped me, along with seeing a psychiatrist and psychological regularly.

Here are my recommendations:

• NOW Kava Kava is like herbal Valium. One cap works to get you feeling good, but 2 is also good. It has 30% kavalactones extract which is one of the highest extracts on the market and NOW is one of the safest and most trusted supplement companies out there. I also combo Kava with the next 2 supplements for added benefit. Kava is like herbal Valium. It works great for anxiety, as well as sleep.
  • NOW Sunflower Lecithin This one isn't so much a mood supplement, but it has fatty acids and tons of choline and inositol - both of which can sort of help depression and anxiety if taken in large enough doses, especially insoitol (see the article I linked at the very bottom for more information), but the main reason I take it with kava is because the kavalactones bind to the fat and make them more orally bioavailable.
  • NOW L-Theanine 100mg Theanine is great for relaxation, anxiety and sleep. There's tons of good studies on it and they add some decaf green tea extract for added antioxidant benefit. The combo of Kava, Theanine and Lecithin will definitely give you a very strong anti-anxiety benefit.
  • Phenibut Phenibut is a gabapentinoid and works well for an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety med). I really only use this one in emergency situations when I have bad anxiety. I think the 250mg Nootropics Depot sells is the perfect dosage and they have a completely pure Phenibut. Other companies phenibut I've tried, I wake up with a headache the next day and super groggy, but not everybody experiences that. Here's a great old article on Phenibut if you want to know all about the science behind it.
  • Hi-Tech Somatomax is another great phenibut product. They advertise it as a GH aid, but it's really not for that. It has l-dopa in it and other ingredients that are going to chill you out really well. Just be careful with it, as phenibut can be addictive if you use it everyday.
  • NOW Mood Support - This supplement can be very helpful for depression and anxiety. It contains St. John's Wort, which is prescribed in Germany as an anti-depressant, Holy Basil Extract, Valerian, which attaches to the GABA receptors like a benzodiazepine, 5-HTP which converts to serotonin, GABA itself, which obviously relaxes you, Taurine & L-Theanine which both have some benefits for relaxation and mood.
  • NOW 5HTP - 5HTP converts to serotonin in the brain, so it's essentially doing what SSRIs are doing, just in a different method and in a different way. It's a version of the amino acid tryptophan, which you can also buy NOW Tryptophan 500mg. You can take these before bed as they will help you sleep, but you can also take them during the day to relax you and boost your serotonin levels. I'd recommend reading about all the different ingredients on examine.com and seeing which one might be right for you.
  • CBD Oil - CBD has been shown to have benefits for anxiety at around 300mg. I buy the 83mg from the CBDistillery, which batch tests all their products for purity, quality, and the proper dosages. I recommend the full spectrum CBD that has 0.03% T H C. It works amazing for anxiety if you take about 2ml.
But, if you're suffering from chronic anxiety/depression, I highly recommend you see a psychiatrist and look into some psycho-pharmacological medications that can help you in your daily life. You can get a script for some medications that will help you deal with your anxiety, and seeing a psychologist and doing cognitive behavior therapy can really help too. You don't have to suffer and self medicate to try and deal with your anxiety/depression. There is help out there, don't be to proud or too afraid to ask for it. If you have insurance, there's no reason not to at least get a consultation and see what your options are.

Finally, I also highly recommend meditation. Using an app like Headspace daily to work on your breathing will help control your anxiety and negative thoughts. Fortune 500 companies are now teaching meditation classes in their businesses, because it's shown to increase cognitive function and has tons of other benefits. It's not a religious thing, it's more like breathing exercises where you just turn off your mind and focus on your breathing and after time it can really help.

Anyway, hope that helps you out bro. Best of luck. Oh yeah, and finally, here is an article on supplements that can help with depression. So look into these as well:

https://bitbin.it/79tgD1pJ/

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I'm the author of that thread so I just wanted to clarify a few things. Pregnenolone is the hormone cholesterol converts to, so downstream it will convert to every hormone in the AAS pathway. But you're taking such a low dose of 50-100mg. But, because the dose is so low, you don't have to worry about it converting to estrogen or anything like that. That would be like eating eggs and because they have cholesterol in them, you you want to take an AI to prevent the cholesterol from converting to estrogen. :ROFLMAO:

So Pregnenolone is something worth trying. Here are some other supplements for anxiety and depression that have helped me, along with seeing a psychiatrist and psychological regularly.

Here are my recommendations:

• NOW Kava Kava is like herbal Valium. One cap works to get you feeling good, but 2 is also good. It has 30% kavalactones extract which is one of the highest extracts on the market and NOW is one of the safest and most trusted supplement companies out there. I also combo Kava with the next 2 supplements for added benefit. Kava is like herbal Valium. It works great for anxiety, as well as sleep.
  • NOW Sunflower Lecithin This one isn't so much a mood supplement, but it has fatty acids and tons of choline and inositol - both of which can sort of help depression and anxiety if taken in large enough doses, especially insoitol (see the article I linked at the very bottom for more information), but the main reason I take it with kava is because the kavalactones bind to the fat and make them more orally bioavailable.
  • NOW L-Theanine 100mg Theanine is great for relaxation, anxiety and sleep. There's tons of good studies on it and they add some decaf green tea extract for added antioxidant benefit. The combo of Kava, Theanine and Lecithin will definitely give you a very strong anti-anxiety benefit.
  • Phenibut Phenibut is a gabapentinoid and works well for an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety med). I really only use this one in emergency situations when I have bad anxiety. I think the 250mg Nootropics Depot sells is the perfect dosage and they have a completely pure Phenibut. Other companies phenibut I've tried, I wake up with a headache the next day and super groggy, but not everybody experiences that. Here's a great old article on Phenibut if you want to know all about the science behind it.
  • Hi-Tech Somatomax is another great phenibut product. They advertise it as a GH aid, but it's really not for that. It has l-dopa in it and other ingredients that are going to chill you out really well. Just be careful with it, as phenibut can be addictive if you use it everyday.
  • NOW Mood Support - This supplement can be very helpful for depression and anxiety. It contains St. John's Wort, which is prescribed in Germany as an anti-depressant, Holy Basil Extract, Valerian, which attaches to the GABA receptors like a benzodiazepine, 5-HTP which converts to serotonin, GABA itself, which obviously relaxes you, Taurine & L-Theanine which both have some benefits for relaxation and mood.
  • NOW 5HTP - 5HTP converts to serotonin in the brain, so it's essentially doing what SSRIs are doing, just in a different method and in a different way. It's a version of the amino acid tryptophan, which you can also buy NOW Tryptophan 500mg. You can take these before bed as they will help you sleep, but you can also take them during the day to relax you and boost your serotonin levels. I'd recommend reading about all the different ingredients on examine.com and seeing which one might be right for you.
  • CBD Oil - CBD has been shown to have benefits for anxiety at around 300mg. I buy the 83mg from the CBDistillery, which batch tests all their products for purity, quality, and the proper dosages. I recommend the full spectrum CBD that has 0.03% T H C. It works amazing for anxiety if you take about 2ml.
But, if you're suffering from chronic anxiety/depression, I highly recommend you see a psychiatrist and look into some psycho-pharmacological medications that can help you in your daily life. You can get a script for some medications that will help you deal with your anxiety, and seeing a psychologist and doing cognitive behavior therapy can really help too. You don't have to suffer and self medicate to try and deal with your anxiety/depression. There is help out there, don't be to proud or too afraid to ask for it. If you have insurance, there's no reason not to at least get a consultation and see what your options are.

Finally, I also highly recommend meditation. Using an app like Headspace daily to work on your breathing will help control your anxiety and negative thoughts. Fortune 500 companies are now teaching meditation classes in their businesses, because it's shown to increase cognitive function and has tons of other benefits. It's not a religious thing, it's more like breathing exercises where you just turn off your mind and focus on your breathing and after time it can really help.

Anyway, hope that helps you out bro. Best of luck. Oh yeah, and finally, here is an article on supplements that can help with depression. So look into these as well:

https://bitbin.it/79tgD1pJ/
That's AWESOME man!! Thanks so much for your extended insight, a lot of info to digest.

Usually I have a quite positive mood and never experienced depression but anxiety.
I think this is just transitional because I'm having problems with my girlfriend and during these months, with this damn Covid thing and forced lockdown, it's like we are always on the verge of breaking up... You know what I mean man.

I'll examine your list in detail but for the moment I have a question about kava kava: is it true that it could cause liver problems? In your opinion how does it compare to ashwagandha? I'm asking because I've seen that ash is often advised for anxiety and mood issues.

Thanks a lot!!

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That's AWESOME man!! Thanks so much for your extended insight, a lot of info to digest.

Usually I have a quite positive mood and never experienced depression but anxiety.
I think this is just transitional because I'm having problems with my girlfriend and during these months, with this damn Covid thing and forced lockdown, it's like we are always on the verge of breaking up... You know what I mean man.

I'll examine your list in detail but for the moment I have a question about kava kava: is it true that it could cause liver problems? In your opinion how does it compare to ashwagandha? I'm asking because I've seen that ash is often advised for anxiety and mood issues.

Thanks a lot!!
Wow, you haven't checked in in a while.

The guy you responded to isn't on this site anymore.

I hope things are going well for you.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Thanks a lot!!
I'm the same, I have issues with anxiety more-so than anything else. Speaking to a doc could be a good option if you feel it is causing issues (preventing you from doing certain things, for example).

At SNS we actually make a Stress and Anxiety Support product. Contains Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, Theanine and Bacopa and can really help take the edge off.

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote

damn, that's too bad.
Do you have by any chance any experience with kava?

thanks man!

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote

damn, that's too bad.

thanks man!
I'm the same, I have issues with anxiety more-so than anything else. Speaking to a doc could be a good option if you feel it is causing issues (preventing you from doing certain things, for example).

At SNS we actually make a Stress and Anxiety Support product. Contains Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, Theanine and Bacopa and can really help take the edge off.
thanks man, do you ship also to Italy?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
damn, that's too bad.

thanks man!

I would bet that shopping from your preferred EU/UK retailer would be best from a cost perspective

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
damn, that's too bad.

thanks man!

I haven't taken Kava in years.
... And I really never used it much.