Superman Returns 2006 - Suit: yay or nay?

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Superman Returns 2006 - Official Trailer on PAGE 6 (POST 101)!!!

Don't know if this was posted before, apologies if so...

Superman Returns, the next big screen supes movies is coming out in June 2006 with Brandon Routh as Clark/Supes & Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. For me, like many others, Chris Reeve WAS SUPERMAN..however from the first stills of SR, Routh as Clark had a very striking resemblance to Reeve.

I was happy for that, until I saw this:

They decided to f*k with the suit and make it all darker, plus the \s/ shield is way to smaller and then the neck - supes always had a lower square neck and the cap would fold in at his traps. The trunks suck too..wats up with the low-ridin trunks!

I really hope that was a pre-production pic and not what's going to be in the movie..

Anyways, thoughts?

Last edited:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
WTF?! That suit blows!! It's like some gay-ass Calvin Klein wannabe designer made it. Superhero outfits are supposed to be designed by nerdy heterosexual men MIMICKING gay designers.

Anyway, the dude they got to play supes needs a much wider back. He's got no V taper.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
NAY!!!

RED and BLUE Whats so hard to understand about that? Sigh...

And the guy in that suit has absolutely pressence.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
I know eh..almost 2 decades since the last supes flick came out n this is what we get.

It's being directed by Brian Singer, the guy that did the Xmen movies..

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Um yeah...Defiantly looks gay, but then again I am sure they are targeting alot of teenage girls with this. THey should have made him way cooler...similar to what they did to Batman in the Batman Beyond animated series...that character was updated for sure. Also had action sequences directed better than alot of movies but I digress.

Superman defiantly needs something similar to this update IMO...this isnt the 1950's anymore.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Um yeah...Defiantly looks gay, but then again I am sure they are targeting alot of teenage girls with this. THey should have made him way cooler...similar to what they did to Batman in the Batman Beyond animated series...that character was updated for sure. Also had action sequences directed better than alot of movies but I digress.

Superman defiantly needs something similar to this update IMO...this isnt the 1950's anymore.
http://www.imageshack.us/

http://www.imageshack.us/
Nah man, Bats you can change because he's human, so the upgraded suit makes sense..but Supes is the man of steel, he don't need no armour..that would just make him too human. Plus the beyond Bats was not Bruce Wayne, while this new Supes is supposed to be the same Supes - the story is apparantly going to be a sequel to Superman 1 & 2...

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Here's a manip from supermanhomepage.com

Much better colours and larger \s/.. neck could still be better

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

So pissed I just saw that....the suit blows and it is blue and burgundy! WTF! I really hope this movie gets scrapped if this is how it will be!

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
But still.....a cape?? Lose te cape...almost as bad as a skirt IMO.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
But still.....a cape?? Lose te cape...almost as bad as a skirt IMO.
Superman without a cape would be like Batman without a Batmobile. It just wouldn't be right. Besides, Superman's outfit was ALWAYS supposed to be dorky. In the comics there were always jokes about some dude in a cape flying around in blue and red tights.

But while Superman's outfit is dorky, it's never been considered GAY. Not like this. Seriously, if they keep this costume, they are going to have to change Lois Lane's name to Louis Lane and have the part be played by Harvy Firestein or something.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Harvey Firestein ..lol.

That suit does suck. It looks like they padded his delts too or he needs more pec. Colors suck..it's probably preproduction props.

Batman Beyond and The Batman have a nice style going. Batman Begins has a frickin cool armor-suit.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I'm so glad somebody started this thread. I love Superman almost as much as I love Bruce Lee, and I was devastated when I first saw the new suit. Here's what I will never be able to understand: You take a character as beloved as Superman, and you sign on to do his new movie. You are in an amazing position. You can bring one of the most loved characters to life and entertain millions of people. You can even bring new people into the fold and create new fans. So you, having this unlimited power, decide to take something perfect, something that has no reason to be changed, something that no one wants changed, and you change it. That's just choosing to piss people off. Everything has already been decided for you. The character has already been designed and perfected. Is there not one person staffing this thing that could say, "Hey man...maybe you shouldn't change **** that everybody already likes"? While you're at it, you may as well give him blonde hair, change his name, history, powers, everything, and go ahead and sink the movie before it's ever released. Rant over.

littlemark

Awards
Ahhh, Adam West finally made it onto the board. Nothing but nothing screams child like innocence like Adam West. Happy days, and kudos to Custom for posting that one. Thanks man, you made my day here at work.

Let me hear you all scream BAT DANCE!!!!

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I guess it could be worse like the one with Nicolas cage as superman who they never showed flying............... Hollywood is a F'd up place. Maybe they should call this movie the ambiguously gay superman.

Clarks Glasses

Awards
What happened to the other 20 or so pages addressing this issue?!??

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

I remember hearing of CAGE playing Superman (BAD CHOICE YUCK!) but could someone post photos!

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
That suit actually looks like a throwback to the 50's era comic. It was darker, with a smaller "S". Definitely a throwback...except for the gayness and mullet starter kit.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
I remember hearing of CAGE playing Superman (BAD CHOICE YUCK!) but could someone post photos!
Yea he was gonna be Tim Burton's Supes.. Although I thought Batman 1 & 2 by Burton were great, I would've hated for him to 'gothicize' the Supes mythos..

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
That suit actually looks like a throwback to the 50's era comic. It was darker, with a smaller "S". Definitely a throwback...except for the gayness and mullet starter kit.
The smaller \S/ is definately the early Supes..but those damned 'manties' (low rise trunks) have to go...

Clarks Glasses

Awards
Costume as a "throwback"

The Singer costume is NOT a throwback..It's an expression of Singer's own stamp on Superman..I'm attaching two depictions of the early Superman of the Late thirties..Note where the cape attaches to the shoulders. The lower neck line ( lower than Routh's throat choke version ) and the mere fact that looking at these two old classic Superman drawings, that Shuster was already heading toward evolving the classic costume known the world over. NO "hip hugger" briefs, no belt that tapers downward toward the pelvic area, and the boots fit high as they were meant too. Comparisons of Singer's costume to the early versions, or to TV costumes like George Reeves suit is ludicrous. It's like comparing apples to oranges..Singer's suit is NOT a Superman costume...Not by a true definition of the words. It's closer akin to a cheap party costume,

Attachments

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Maybe they'll change it. A fan can dream anyway.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
No, i think they will keep the colors ... if you keep the colors too "pro american" or to those of the american flag,( Red, actor is white, and blue) it will not sit well with the overseas market... this reddish, brownish, burgundy will slightly, if not on a sub-consious level, allow one to better relate superman as a hero of earth, rather a creation of the american mind....

or... i just need to get laid and oot think about such things....

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
For Truth, Justice, and the American Way. And Supes was created by two Jews.

Clarks Glasses

Awards
throwback one more time

..One more point..I never expected Singer to copy Chris Reeve's suit, I did figure he'd tweak it some, not trash it..Here are to more pics..One is an even EARLIER Shuster drawing of Superman..Even then the costume didn't look like a speedo, and you can plainly see it's not a forerunner of the Singer design..The next pic is a side by side comparison..Be honest..Who looks more like Superman?

Attachments

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
Jew or not, still americans, and nooooboody liiiikes us :-( sniff sniff

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
..One more point..I never expected Singer to copy Chris Reeve's suit, I did figure he'd tweak it some, not trash it..Here are to more pics..One is an even EARLIER Shuster drawing of Superman..Even then the costume didn't look like a speedo, and you can plainly see it's not a forerunner of the Singer design..The next pic is a side by side comparison..Be honest..Who looks more like Superman?
Routh in that picture just simply looks like a flamboyant underwear model.

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
I like the suit.......

Also I think that Kevin Spacey will be a GREAT Lex Luthor!

Clarks Glasses

Awards
Singer's costume is a cheap party costume. People who are giving this suit a nod aren't really Superman fans..They're film fans. Superman fans know the difference. Here's one more contrast phot, then I'm done with this thread..

Attachments

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Latest pic of new Supes...

Here's the latest official pic from "Superman Returns"

I still think the red is too dark..looks more like brown...

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
The Singer costume is NOT a throwback..It's an expression of Singer's own stamp on Superman..I'm attaching two depictions of the early Superman of the Late thirties..Note where the cape attaches to the shoulders. The lower neck line ( lower than Routh's throat choke version ) and the mere fact that looking at these two old classic Superman drawings, that Shuster was already heading toward evolving the classic costume known the world over. NO "hip hugger" briefs, no belt that tapers downward toward the pelvic area, and the boots fit high as they were meant too. Comparisons of Singer's costume to the early versions, or to TV costumes like George Reeves suit is ludicrous. It's like comparing apples to oranges..Singer's suit is NOT a Superman costume...Not by a true definition of the words. It's closer akin to a cheap party costume,
By throwback I meant the smaller "S" and darker colors, not an exact replica. But it could be worse, the could have the design team from the old hulk movies that featured daredevil and thor. OR the first punisher movie.:blink:

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
New gif from the last video blog at bluetights.net -

I hate the way the cape is tucked and that tight neckline...

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
You know, I don't remember asking them to change anything about Supes. Did any of you ask them to shitty up his costume?
If nothing else, Singer should be berated for having bad taste if this is the costume he likes more than the real suit.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Latest pic from supermanhomepage.com - Supes lifting car:

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I hate the costume :aargh:

But damn, I can't wait to see the movie :dance:

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
I hate the costume :aargh:

But damn, I can't wait to see the movie :dance:
Same here man.. maybe I'll just try and imagine that it's Christopher Reeve instead of Brandon Routh on the screen..

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
One more new one from brandonrouth.com:

Looks very much like Tom Welling (guy who plays Clark Kent in the Smallville series...)

BMW

Awards
  • Established
i wish tom welling could play the part as he is great in smallville
but obviously that would never happen

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
I hate the superman custom :(

But

That what happen when you wash a custom with dark colors...he should had it dry clean.

noctorum

Banned
Awards
you guys have way too much time on your hands, shouldn't you be lifting or something? :p

Boogaloowill

Awards
david putty from seinfeld=perfect superman.....

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Actually, after watching Auburn play last night, their new Quarterback, Brandon Cox, looks like a good Superman.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Some new pics...

Here are some of the latest pics:

**NOTE - this pic's colours and the size of the \s/ have been altered by some fan (manipped) to be a bit brighter and larger...**

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
another: (again, with manipped colours)

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Kevin Spacey as Lex - looks almost like Gene Hackman's Lex -

Perry White, Clark, Lois 'The Forehead' Lane & her kid:

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Last official pic (not manipped - from brandonrouth.com)

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Just for fun, a comparison pic of the Late Great Chris Reeve in the new suit: