Struggling to find a promising workout

FilthyCasual888

Awards
Yo I'm 18 I wanna jump into body building and look like a monster I'm trying to find workouts I'm not the most experienced with this, having a lot of second thoughts thinking is it gonna work this is the physique I'm looking for here are the two workouts that catch my eye. Please if you know a better one that can target those areas of the body please tell me.

Side note: The other workout pdf is too large but its called hypertrophy training by Derek charlebois first thing on Google

Attachments

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Can you post your work out in text form? Or type it up?

I'm not gonna download things from random links and would discourage others from doing so as well, but would be glad to offer any advice I can.

Also, is that a photo of what you hope to achieve, or is that a photo of you currently?

FilthyCasual888

Awards
Can you post your work out in text form? Or type it up?

I'm not gonna download things from random links and would discourage others from doing so as well, but would be glad to offer any advice I can.

Also, is that a photo of what you hope to achieve, or is that a photo of you currently?
Sure thing.
[Day one]
Bench Press Power Pushing 3 sets of 3-5 70lbs
Weighted Pull Ups Assistance Pulling 2 sets of 6-10
Horizontal Row Auxiliary Pulling 2 sets of 6-10
Weighted Dips Assistance Pressing 2 sets of 6-10
Pendlay Rows Power Pulling 3 sets of 3-5
Dumbbell Shoulder Press Assistance Pressing 3 sets of 6-10
Cambered Bar Curls Auxiliary Curling 3 sets of 6-10
Dumbbell Skull Crushers Auxiliary Extension 3 sets of 6-10
(Day two)
Squats Power Pressing 3 sets of 3-5 70
Hack Squats Assistance Pressing 2 sets of 6-10
Leg Extensions Assistance Extension 2 sets of 6-10
Stiff Legged Deadlifts Assistance Pulling 3 sets of 5-8
Leg Curls Assistance Curling 2 sets of 6-10
Standing Calf Raise Auxiliary Calf 3 sets of 6-10
Seated Calf Raise Auxiliary Calf 2 sets of 6-10
(Day three)
Back & Shoulders
Pendlay Rows Speed Pulling 6 sets of 3
Horizontal Row Hypertrophy Pulling 3 sets of 8-12
Seated Cable Row Hypertrophy Pulling 3 sets of 8-12
Braced Dumbbell Rows Hypertrophy Pulling 2 sets of 12-15
Close Grip Pulldowns Hypertrophy Pulling 2 sets of 15-20
Dumbbell Shoulder Press Hypertrophy Shoulder 3 sets of 8-12
Upright Rows Hypertrophy Shoulder 2 sets of 12-15
DB Side Lateral Raises Hypertrophy Shoulder 3 sets of 12-20
(Day four)
Squats Speed Pressing 6 sets of 3 45

Squats Hypertrophy Pressing 3 sets of
Romanian Deadlift Hypertrophy Pulling
3 sets of
Seated Leg Curls Hypertrophy Hypertrophy Calf 4 sets of hypertrophy Calf 3 set
Incline Dumbbell Press Hypertrophy Pressing 3 sets of 8-12
Incline Chest Press Hypertrophy Pressing 3 sets of 12-15
Incline Cable Flys Hypertrophy Fly 2 sets of 15-20
Preacher Curls Hypertrophy Curling 3 sets of 8-12
DB Concentration Curls Hypertrophy Curling 2 sets of 12-15
Spider Curls Hypertrophy Curling 2 sets of 15-20
Cambered Bar Tricep Extension Hypertrophy Extension 3 sets of 8-12
Cable Pressdowns w/ Rope Hypertrophy Extension 2 sets of 12-15
Cable Kickbacks Hypertrophy Extension 2 sets

Last edited:
match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Looks like a ton of work; the intensity will all depend on how close to failure you get, and how many reps you leave in the tank.

Lot of chest work on both day 4 and day 1 (unless I'm reading it wrong) so I would probably opt for a rest day between day 2 and 3 and 2 rest days between day 4 and 1 (if you to do this regimen once per week).

Not that you have to, but are you considering adding cardio to this? You're 18 years old, are you playing any sports, or just lifting?

Is that a photo of you? Your initial post made it sound like that photo is the physique you would like to achieve, implying it's not a photo of you.

What's your height, weight, body fat % (best guess)? What is your diet like and what is your diet plan during your workout?

This workout plan could certainly work, especially for a beginner. Then again, for a beginner you don't even need to do this much work to get results. So the most important thing is that you get a routine going that keeps you interested enough to keep you going to the gym and putting in the work.

FilthyCasual888

Awards
Looks like a ton of work; the intensity will all depend on how close to failure you get, and how many reps you leave in the tank.

Lot of chest work on both day 4 and day 1 (unless I'm reading it wrong) so I would probably opt for a rest day between day 2 and 3 and 2 rest days between day 4 and 1 (if you to do this regimen once per week).

Not that you have to, but are you considering adding cardio to this? You're 18 years old, are you playing any sports, or just lifting?

Is that a photo of you? Your initial post made it sound like that photo is the physique you would like to achieve, implying it's not a photo of you.

What's your height, weight, body fat % (best guess)? What is your diet like and what is your diet plan during your workout?

This workout plan could certainly work, especially for a beginner. Then again, for a beginner you don't even need to do this much work to get results. So the most important thing is that you get a routine going that keeps you interested enough to keep you going to the gym and putting in the work.
I'm not doing anything other than school and work I thought adding this to the plate would be something a little more fun then sitting around when I got nothing to do once I get home I'll give you those numbers I'll I'll get a photo of what my body shape looks like

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is big guys that do high intesenity low volume. And guys that got big with low intensity and high volume. Most are somewhere in the middle. If you are completely new keep everything low and add every week. I do this when I take an extended time off and even after a year layoff I was almost 100 percent in a short time. If you are sore when it comes time to do the next workout it’s to much and knock some sets or leave some reps in the tank. Workouts online are just a template and you may need to adjust it to fit you. I see it all the time. Guys just starting out going balls to the wall for an hour or two then calling it quits. Lol. You will actually gain faster by starting slow and adding intesity and volume each workout until you find the sweet spot. As you train longer your body adapts and it’s harder to damage the muscle to cause growth. I know out super sets and drops sets, rest pause, etc pretty often and don’t really get sore after 20 years of training. Even still sometimes I have to back it off or my nervous system gets fried and I’ll feel weaker.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There's no magic workout, pretty much every type of bodybuilding routine works as long as you stick with it, if you keep switching programs all the time you won't make a ton of progress.

If your goal really is to get as big as possible then remember this, every giant bodybuilder you have ever seen (with a few freak genetic exceptions) took about 10+ years to look the way they do.

10 years of grinding out workouts and not missing meals. So pick a program and give it 6 months or so without missing workouts or meals before you call it quits and swap things around.

A young guy like you that's already in good shape I'd suggest a ppl routine

FilthyCasual888

Awards
I'm not doing anything other than school and work I thought adding this to the plate would be something a little more fun then sitting around when I got nothing to do once I get home I'll give you those numbers I'll I'll get a photo of what my body shape looks like
Here's my numbers
208lbs
6'1
20% body fat
57% water weight

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just saw the actual workout, that's a completely unnecessary amount of exercises and fancy stuff for no reason.

Find yourself a basic ppl routine.

Incline bench
Db fly or pec deck
Db shoulder press
Side laterals
Cable press down
Dips or skull krushers

Chins
Rows
Deadlift or another row or vertical pull variation
Shrugs
Hammer curl
Ez bar curl

Hamstring curl
Squat
Leg ext
Leg press
calf press

Get good and strong at a few basic exercises.

FilthyCasual888

Awards
I just saw the actual workout, that's a completely unnecessary amount of exercises and fancy stuff for no reason.

Find yourself a basic ppl routine.

Incline bench
Db fly or pec deck
Db shoulder press
Side laterals
Cable press down
Dips or skull krushers

Chins
Rows
Deadlift or another row or vertical pull variation
Shrugs
Hammer curl
Ez bar curl

Hamstring curl
Squat
Leg ext
Leg press
calf press

Get good and strong at a few basic exercises.
Okay I'll give this a go thanks you but one question how many reps and sets? 3 sets of 6-10 each?

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Okay I'll give this a go thanks you but one question how many reps and sets? 3 sets of 6-10 each?
3 sets of 6-10 would be fine. You could vary it and do 2 sets of some, 4 sets of others, mix up the rep ranges, if you want variation later on (or if you don't have time for 3 sets of each you can reduce the sets). I would try to stay consistent with your rest periods. I prefer 3 min rests for compound lifts, 2 min or less for anything else.

The name of the game is progressive overload. Your goal should be to try to increase either reps or weight every work out. The only way to know if you're doing that is to track your work, so make sure you write down your weight and reps for each exercise. Also, if you're really new to any of these exercises I'd recommend either watching some youtube videos regarding lifting technique (so you don't get injured and get the most out of your lifts) or better still, ask someone at the gym who seems experienced if they would critique your form.

The other key is your diet. You're young so you can probably get away with a lot and make great progress, but if (like most people) you want to get the absolute most out of your time training, it's time to start getting your diet in check. Get any garbage you like to eat out of your diet (candy, soda, etc). You don't need to develop an eating disorder and go to great extremes (ie you don't need to eat 6000 calories a day and you shouldn't starve yourself either), and you don't need to focus on the number on the scale. Take progress photos and, if you're not making progress in whatever direction you're looking to go (whether it's to bulk up or to burn fat) come back here and ask for some diet advice.

FilthyCasual888

Awards
3 sets of 6-10 would be fine. You could vary it and do 2 sets of some, 4 sets of others, mix up the rep ranges, if you want variation later on (or if you don't have time for 3 sets of each you can reduce the sets). I would try to stay consistent with your rest periods. I prefer 3 min rests for compound lifts, 2 min or less for anything else.

The name of the game is progressive overload. Your goal should be to try to increase either reps or weight every work out. The only way to know if you're doing that is to track your work, so make sure you write down your weight and reps for each exercise. Also, if you're really new to any of these exercises I'd recommend either watching some youtube videos regarding lifting technique (so you don't get injured and get the most out of your lifts) or better still, ask someone at the gym who seems experienced if they would critique your form.

The other key is your diet. You're young so you can probably get away with a lot and make great progress, but if (like most people) you want to get the absolute most out of your time training, it's time to start getting your diet in check. Get any garbage you like to eat out of your diet (candy, soda, etc). You don't need to develop an eating disorder and go to great extremes (ie you don't need to eat 6000 calories a day and you shouldn't starve yourself either), and you don't need to focus on the number on the scale. Take progress photos and, if you're not making progress in whatever direction you're looking to go (whether it's to bulk up or to burn fat) come back here and ask for some diet advice.
Sounds good I'll make sure to get before and after photos

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sure thing.
[Day one]
Bench Press Power Pushing 3 sets of 3-5 70lbs
Weighted Pull Ups Assistance Pulling 2 sets of 6-10
Horizontal Row Auxiliary Pulling 2 sets of 6-10
Weighted Dips Assistance Pressing 2 sets of 6-10
Pendlay Rows Power Pulling 3 sets of 3-5
Dumbbell Shoulder Press Assistance Pressing 3 sets of 6-10
Cambered Bar Curls Auxiliary Curling 3 sets of 6-10
Dumbbell Skull Crushers Auxiliary Extension 3 sets of 6-10
(Day two)
Squats Power Pressing 3 sets of 3-5 70
Hack Squats Assistance Pressing 2 sets of 6-10
Leg Extensions Assistance Extension 2 sets of 6-10
Stiff Legged Deadlifts Assistance Pulling 3 sets of 5-8
Leg Curls Assistance Curling 2 sets of 6-10
Standing Calf Raise Auxiliary Calf 3 sets of 6-10
Seated Calf Raise Auxiliary Calf 2 sets of 6-10
(Day three)
Back & Shoulders
Pendlay Rows Speed Pulling 6 sets of 3
Horizontal Row Hypertrophy Pulling 3 sets of 8-12
Seated Cable Row Hypertrophy Pulling 3 sets of 8-12
Braced Dumbbell Rows Hypertrophy Pulling 2 sets of 12-15
Close Grip Pulldowns Hypertrophy Pulling 2 sets of 15-20
Dumbbell Shoulder Press Hypertrophy Shoulder 3 sets of 8-12
Upright Rows Hypertrophy Shoulder 2 sets of 12-15
DB Side Lateral Raises Hypertrophy Shoulder 3 sets of 12-20
(Day four)
Squats Speed Pressing 6 sets of 3 45

Squats Hypertrophy Pressing 3 sets of
Romanian Deadlift Hypertrophy Pulling
3 sets of
Seated Leg Curls Hypertrophy Hypertrophy Calf 4 sets of hypertrophy Calf 3 set
Incline Dumbbell Press Hypertrophy Pressing 3 sets of 8-12
Incline Chest Press Hypertrophy Pressing 3 sets of 12-15
Incline Cable Flys Hypertrophy Fly 2 sets of 15-20
Preacher Curls Hypertrophy Curling 3 sets of 8-12
DB Concentration Curls Hypertrophy Curling 2 sets of 12-15
Spider Curls Hypertrophy Curling 2 sets of 15-20
Cambered Bar Tricep Extension Hypertrophy Extension 3 sets of 8-12
Cable Pressdowns w/ Rope Hypertrophy Extension 2 sets of 12-15
Cable Kickbacks Hypertrophy Extension 2 sets
I can't tell if this is just a rough plan or you're really leaving out tons of important fundamental stuff

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can't tell if this is just a rough plan or you're really leaving out tons of important fundamental stuff
i think its a more advanced routine or something.. I like smonts post.

FilthyCasual888

Awards
I'm just looking at plans and hoping I'm gonna get results I like if I stick to it and keep a diet I'm willing to put in the work just I don't wanna to go two months and seeing I'm the exact same

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm just looking at plans and hoping I'm gonna get results I like if I stick to it and keep a diet I'm willing to put in the work just I don't wanna to go two months and seeing I'm the exact same
so if you lifted for two months and don't notice a difference, what then? lifting is about a life long journey and you sound like a lazy little clout goblin

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If you are working hard in the gym you won't be the same in two months. Especially if you've still got pubescent hormones circulating through your blood.

Stick with this, it will pay off huge dividends.

And hopefully this keeps you out of trouble! If you're using any sort of recreational drugs, popping pills, or drinking, those things will all hinder your gains in the gym.

Set a standard for your lifestyle that you'd want your children to some day emulate, future-you will be thankful that you did.

FilthyCasual888

Awards
so if you lifted for two months and don't notice a difference, what then? lifting is about a life long journey and you sound like a lazy little clout goblin
I never said I was gonna quit it never said there was a deadline after two a month I'm just saying if I've done all my reps all my sessions kept the same workout adjusted the Weight so on so fourth if I don't see a difference then what

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I never said I was gonna quit it never said there was a deadline after two a month I'm just saying if I've done all my reps all my sessions kept the same workout adjusted the Weight so on so fourth if I don't see a difference then what
Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

There's a million different training methods out there. The good news is that, for the beginner, just about every single one of them will work. You'll still be a beginner 2 months from now and reaping the benefits of time in the gym.

Your body is going to go through a lot of changes over the next year if you stick with this. Your neurons will adapt to fire off more efficiently, resulting in notable strength gains. Your muscle fibers will be stretched and torn on a microscopic level and the healing process will result in hypertrophy. Your body will learn to process lactic acid and glycogen more efficiently. Your tendons and ligaments will be stressed on ways they haven't before. On and on. In the end, your body is designed to adapt to the work you're going to be doing. Just put in the work. Stay motivated. But don't base your routine on how you feel. Stay dedicated to your workout plan.

Dedication > Motivation

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think the biggest thing I can impart on you here is this:
everything works. at least for a little while.
you will learn over time to identify many ques that will dictate when to change things up.
for now, since you are new, just focus on the basics.
work on getting a solid base of strength.
you will see results no matter what when you first start, but it won't be noticeable for a month or two.
don't concern yourself with results until you have the basics covered; food/training/sleep.
usually for beginners you can expect to see continued results over the first 6 months or so, best use this time wisely.
again, keep it simple to start~

welcome to the fold.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Oh, and do some crunches or something for your abs and core. Think that was left out of the routine Smont gave you (I still think his routine is a better one than the one you initially posted, this is a good time to keep it simple).

FilthyCasual888

Awards
Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

There's a million different training methods out there. The good news is that, for the beginner, just about every single one of them will work. You'll still be a beginner 2 months from now and reaping the benefits of time in the gym.

Your body is going to go through a lot of changes over the next year if you stick with this. Your neurons will adapt to fire off more efficiently, resulting in notable strength gains. Your muscle fibers will be stretched and torn on a microscopic level and the healing process will result in hypertrophy. Your body will learn to process lactic acid and glycogen more efficiently. Your tendons and ligaments will be stressed on ways they haven't before. On and on. In the end, your body is designed to adapt to the work you're going to be doing. Just put in the work. Stay motivated. But don't base your routine on how you feel. Stay dedicated to your workout plan.

Dedication > Motivation
👍

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Keep in mind there is no magic number of reps or sets. They all can serve a function. I'll often start with compound lifts in the 6 to 8 range and when I get to accessory/cable work I'll go up to 12 or 15 reps. Learning to listen to your body is key. Your body will tell you when it's had enough sets total for a workout. If you are leaving reps in reserve could be 20 total sets. If you like high intensity and pushing sets to failure honesty 9 might be enough. I will often only do 9 total sets if I'm just working chest. Like Smont said the routine doesn't need to be fancy. It's more about how hard you work vs what you do and consistency. It takes time and you need to think of it as a marathon not a sprint. That's why so many people get discouraged and quit after a few months.

Last edited:

FilthyCasual888

Awards
Got day 1 in.
I averages around 2 sets of 10 for most.
The chin ups I struggled with but everything was pretty solid my arms are achin so that's a good sign altho I'm not feeling any abs work done overall I like it I can keep myself going at that for a very long time thank you bro

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Got day 1 in.
The chin ups I struggled with but everything was pretty solid my arms are achin so that's a good sign altho I'm not feeling any abs work done overall I like it I can keep myself going at that for a very long time thank you bro
If you want to speed up your progress with chin ups and pull ups make sure to do slow negatives (when youre lowering yourself down). Also, once you hit failure, use a stool or a chair to get yourself back up to the top and do a few more negatives past failure. I prefer to do three x 5-second negatives after failure on every set of pull ups that I do.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Got day 1 in.
Did you ever go back for day 2?

beefyfan

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If I were you I'd start out training every other day. Doing push one day, pull one day and legs the other day. After a year or two break it up into a 4 day split. Read up on Dorian Yates blood and guts approach and use that as your baseline.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I did I'm still going at it there's a little change I've noticed but the more i go its obvious it'll be better
Remember too that you're only barely getting started. Your body is first going to learn to get stronger just by becoming more efficient at the movements and the timing of muscle fiber contractions. That's gonna lead to some crazy increases in strength. You'll get some increases in muscle size during this time, but you'll be able to put up a lot more weight in a very short period of time, and then you will really be putting those muscle fibers to the test.

That's when the real magic happens.

Eat, train, log it all, keep going, prove every doubter wrong.

If you start to feel pain in your joints after a few weeks/months (a nagging elbow, knee pain), that's probably tendonitis. Make sure to take it a little easier on those movements or sub them out entirely until the tendonitis clears. No sense in overworking yourself to an injury.

Enjoy the journey!