Unanswered Skinny Fat Advice

mastaclue00

Awards
Hey all-

Would really appreciate some advice on a Skinny Fat problem I've had for a while now. I've had fat around my chest and midsection ever since I was a kid and have not been able to get rid of it. I want to finally deal with this problem head on and do whatever it takes to eliminate this fat. My question to all is what is my best nutrition/training approach to do this? Should I be focusing on building muscle or cutting? Here is my current program with some stats..let me know if I should stick with this or try something else.

Weight: ~150 lbs
Diet: Keto and intermittent fasting on cardio days
Workout: 3 days weight lifting, 3 days HIIT cardio

Monday: 2300 calories (weight lift)
Tuesday: 1900 calories (HIIT)
Wednesday: 2300 calories (weight lift)
Thursday: 1900 calories (HIIT)
Friday: 2300 calories (weight lift)
Saturday: 1900 calories (HIIT)
Sunday: 2100 calories (Rest Day)

I'm doing a cut right now and staying Keto. Is this the best approach until I can eliminate the fat around these areas? Please let me know your thoughts!

mastaclue00

Awards
Hey guys, wanted to add some pictures to get opinions as to what it looks I should be doing. I keep going back and forth in my mind on what I should be doing (cutting/bulking). Ideally I want more muscle, but to lose my chest fast/gut.

Attachments

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You don’t look skinny fat to me, seems you’re reasonably lean actually. That said, nothing wrong with wanting to get leaner. Keto isn’t the only way to do that, but it’s fine if you like it. Caloric deficit is key, make sure you’re managing that and dropping your calories as needed to keep progress going. Personally, I’d swap some of the HIIT for lifting but that’s me.

mastaclue00

Awards
You don’t look skinny fat to me, seems you’re reasonably lean actually. That said, nothing wrong with wanting to get leaner. Keto isn’t the only way to do that, but it’s fine if you like it. Caloric deficit is key, make sure you’re managing that and dropping your calories as needed to keep progress going. Personally, I’d swap some of the HIIT for lifting but that’s me.
Appreciate the advice! I want to get to a place where my chest and gut fat are reduced and then slowly start bringing calories up to gain muscle/size. Feel like most would recommend bulking first, but I'd like to get rid of this fat first. Does anyone know how long a cut typically should be before fat loss plateaus? Thanks again!

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Appreciate the advice! I want to get to a place where my chest and gut fat are reduced and then slowly start bringing calories up to gain muscle/size. Feel like most would recommend bulking first, but I'd like to get rid of this fat first. Does anyone know how long a cut typically should be before fat loss plateaus? Thanks again!
Id cut until you get as lean as you want to be. Gains come on much leaner when you’re starting from a lean physique.

Fat loss will plateau at various points and calories will need to be adjusted as you go. As weight drops, bmr is likely to drop, there’s the idea of adaptive thermogenesis, etc. Basically, when progress stalls, you need to lower your calories again. And obviously the closer you get to where you want to be, the slower the progress happens.

mastaclue00

Awards
Id cut until you get as lean as you want to be. Gains come on much leaner when you’re starting from a lean physique.

Fat loss will plateau at various points and calories will need to be adjusted as you go. As weight drops, bmr is likely to drop, there’s the idea of adaptive thermogenesis, etc. Basically, when progress stalls, you need to lower your calories again. And obviously the closer you get to where you want to be, the slower the progress happens.
Again, appreciate the advice! I'll continue this route till I'm where I want to be. Once I get there, I'll start adding up the calories to gain as much muscle as I can without gaining fat. Thanks dude!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This! You don’t look skinny fat to me at all.

If you want to be leaner then just keep a cut going.

I’d also agree I’d rather do some lifting than three extra days HIIT, just feel the cost:benefit isn’t worth it for how much fatigue it will build if truly doing HIIT.

As far as hitting a fat loss plateau I prefer 8-12 weeks at a time, 16 would be the upper end of that. I like to look more at how much the upper range of loss is the goal (~10% total weight loss at one time before a break) then determine the rate (.5-1% of total weight per week) and use that to plot a course.

After that go to maintenance for a little bit, then determine if continuing to cut or to switch to gaining is the next goal.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Def not skinny fat. See the abs slightly and developed chest. And what they said^

mastaclue00

Awards
Thank you all! Appreciate the feedback and advice. Last question. Would there be a benefit to reverse dieting when I want to come out of my cut? Or should I simply go to maintenance and hit the weights hard? Thanks again y'all!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thank you all! Appreciate the feedback and advice. Last question. Would there be a benefit to reverse dieting when I want to come out of my cut? Or should I simply go to maintenance and hit the weights hard? Thanks again y'all!
You’ll get varying opinions, but mine would be to just go to maintenance. Unless the diet is extremely long or you have issues (and even then I’d be more inclined to just jump into maintenance) I don’t think it’s worth a slow rise. Best to get back to baseline and get things “to normal” faster IMO.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You’ll get varying opinions, but mine would be to just go to maintenance. Unless the diet is extremely long or you have issues (and even then I’d be more inclined to just jump into maintenance) I don’t think it’s worth a slow rise. Best to get back to baseline and get things “to normal” faster IMO.
I would agree with this. The whole adding 5% at a time makes no sense if that still leaves you in a deficit.