Shoulder and cutting

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
Was in a wreck in may was at my strongest point . Then had to stop somewhat due to severe arthritis on clavicle and a partial labrum tear. Was cutting recently got down to 14.4% bf gonna have surgery in am tomorrow will be laid up for awhile any suggestions on how to stay active and keep weight off besides watching what I eat and tracking.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had a slap tear repair, just stayed busy on legs and cardio and some opposite side stuff

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just watch your shoulder. You dont want to run the risk of someone bumping it or you accidentally doing too much. Just take the time to recover and get out of the sling.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
AC arthritis and labrum tears are the outcome of an unstable humeral head. If the head of the arm bone (humerus) isn't properly centrated during movement and loading, it may jam into the AC joint or forward into humeral anterior glide.

The most common causes are scapular- and rotator cuff dysfunction. The rotator cuff, especially the subscapularis (as it resists pull from the other medial rotators) hold the humeral head centrated when the big muscles are pulling. The scapula needs to track the humeral head's movement in order to yield proper ROM. If it doesn't, the joint jams, even ifthe cuff is functional.

Both issues usually go hand in hand in my experience.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
AC arthritis and labrum tears are the outcome of an unstable humeral head.
Yes it can be, but in his case, it was the outcome of a car crash as he stated in his first post.

OP - I would just focus on recovery from surgery and not try to do too much until out of the sling. I had similar surgery and had planned to do all this cardio, etc. But once I had the surgery, I didn't want to do anything until out of the sling, then I focused on PT and cardio.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Yes it can be, but in his case, it was the outcome of a car crash as he stated in his first post.

OP - I would just focus on recovery from surgery and not try to do too much until out of the sling. I had similar surgery and had planned to do all this cardio, etc. But once I had the surgery, I didn't want to do anything until out of the sling, then I focused on PT and cardio.
Crashes do not cause arthritis. Wear and tear causes arthritis.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
AC arthritis and labrum tears are the outcome of an unstable humeral head.
Labrum tears can most definitely be caused by trauma. My ex-girlfriend tore her shoulder (labrum) in a car accident, it was not due to arthritis and was not previously existing. Just saying.

You do make some great points though about general shoulder care for lifters.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Labrum tears can most definitely be caused by trauma. My ex-girlfriend tore her shoulder (labrum) in a car accident, it was not due to arthritis and was not previously existing. Just saying.

Sure, but arthritis and labral tear in same shoulder is probably not coincidental.

Best regards and wishes mate

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The rotator cuff, especially the subscapularis (as it resists pull from the other medial rotators) hold the humeral head centrated when the big muscles are pulling.
The subscapularis can be a real b!tch whenever shoulder instability is at play. To work on that soft tissue, I've taped (goat tape / lifting tape) a small rubber ball to the end of my mobilityWOD stick to really get in there and work the tissue. Similar to this pic here, works great:

mWOD-stick-with-taped-ball.jpg

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
Thanks both of you really appreciate it. Gutterpump yea planned on cardio but it's hard to get motivated. Wished I could lift it's driving me nuts. I.just Wana get back to it have been.using my hockey stick doing front raises at home for more pt. But there gonna up pt to 3 days soon so.I can really get things moving and going. Wana run.exotherm and vasoburn to really.get down in weight

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
Sept 23rd. It's still pretty tender. ROM is going well but it's still tight in areas and they say it takes awhile

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Word of advice, don't slack at all on getting your full range of motion back now. Don't miss any PT days. Right now is the best time to work on that ROM since your surgery is fresh. It'll be twice as hard down the road.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh yea, hit that pt hard and do everything they tell you, but don't get crazy with it. Slow and steady got me back quicker than doc thought.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Tore mine diving for a ball, tore it from 10-5 and got four anchors.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Just watch your shoulder. You dont want to run the risk of someone bumping it or you accidentally doing too much. Just take the time to recover and get out of the sling.
x2!!

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
Shoulder recovery is going we'll just started strengthing with bands this week. Added laxogenin doing a 30 day run hoping it cuts another few weeks off recovery. Due to being active and lifting before hand dr already said I was a couple weeks ahead of schedule.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Shoulder recovery is going we'll just started strengthing with bands this week. Added laxogenin doing a 30 day run hoping it cuts another few weeks off recovery. Due to being active and lifting before hand dr already said I was a couple weeks ahead of schedule.
Thats good news!