SHIN SPLINTS

KingAnt

KingAnt

Awards
  • Established
Does anybody have experience with shin splints and tips on how to avoid it and aid the healing process?
I've had mine for close to 6 months now. Stop running about a month ago and they are getting better. But I can still feel it when I step in a particular way.
It's very very painful and super annoying.

BTW, it's a bone type pain coming from the anterior tibia.
I've replaced my running shoes and I am taking bone health supplements.

I also notice that I Supinate when I run. And I'm not sure how to fix this either.

I've done long bouts of running in the past (distance, speed, and consistency) and never had this before

Issue is, they aren't going away.
What do you guys think ?

W

WillisRHood

Awards
In my experience the only way I was able to get my shin splints to heal was time off and using a plastic roll bar to rub the muscles next to my shin.

I recommend going to a running shoe store and having them fit a shoe and insole to your foot. This was a major savior and made running much more bearable.

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I totally agree with the previous post about rest and getting fitted with proper running shoes. Invest in really good shoes. My favorite running shoes are Brooks. Another tip I’ve learned from runners is bump your shoe size up 1/2 size. That will keep your toes from jamming into the front of your toe box of your shoes.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Whoa!!!!
..... That's a LOT of reposts brother. Please see if you can get them removed.
And in the future.,...
Only click to post Once.
You'll think it isn't posted ...
But as you see ... It Is.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I totally agree with the previous post about rest and getting fitted with proper running shoes. Invest in really good shoes. My favorite running shoes are Brooks. Another tip I’ve learned from runners is bump your shoe size up 1/2 size. That will keep your toes from jamming into the front of your toe box of your shoes.
I got my first pair of Brooks a couple months ago. They’re far and away the best running shoes I’ve ever purchased. Not cheap, but worth it if you have knee issues or want to avoid knee issues.

As these guys said OP, time off is your best bet. Switch to rowing, if you can, to get your cardio. Maybe some cycling if it doesn’t bother your shins. I only had what I think were shin splints once and this worked for me, but it took a while.

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got my first pair of Brooks a couple months ago. They’re far and away the best running shoes I’ve ever purchased. Not cheap, but worth it if you have knee issues or want to avoid knee issues.

As these guys said OP, time off is your best bet. Switch to rowing, if you can, to get your cardio. Maybe some cycling if it doesn’t bother your shins. I only had what I think were shin splints once and this worked for me, but it took a while.
I was a Mizuno fan until they discontinued the Wave Nirvana. My wife turned me onto Brooks. I’ll never go to another running shoe either man!

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I was a Mizuno fan until they discontinued the Wave Nirvana. My wife turned me onto Brooks. I’ll never go to another running shoe either man!

I

Infiknite

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I used to have this problem and it has always been caused by doing too much too soon. Besides getting new shoes I’d stop running til the pain subsides. Maybe start walking if you can tolerate it. Once you’re able to run maybe try running on grass. Just run a loop around a park and ease into it.

C

ChilledFaith

Awards
So for some quick context, I'm a D1 track athlete, so I end up running a fair bit. I have had shin splints since middle school. I have also had 4 stress fractures in my shins, so I know the pain. Here are some of the things I have tried, some help, some not so much, but they may work for you.

-Custom orthotics (pretty helpful imho)
-strengthening the auxiliary muscles, this included balance training, lots of band training, training in sand, ankle training, different motion training, etc. Tons of ways to hit stabilizer muscles you may not normally work out
-Laser pain therapy (didn't do anything for me)
-Ice bath 5-6 times a week (many times alternating with a hot tub, helpful for sure)
-Ice cupping (seems to get a bit deeper, also helpful)
-Graston technique (didn't do much for me)
-Shin releases (helpful but painful as heck)
-ultrasound (no noticeable differences)
-Every pain cream imaginable (Sometimes helpful)
-Long term use of anti-inflammatories (longish, cycle on and off for a few weeks at a time, wouldn't recommend, but helped a bit, this was an idea (and prescription) from a doctor)
-Gait training (basically improving your run, helpful if your a bad runner)
-New shoes (probably the biggest difference for me, I get free shoes every 2 months or so for track, but I end up buying my own that work for me, you name them, I've tried them. Currently, the alphafly training shoes from nike are what I'm running in and they definitely seem to help, just pricey.)
-Shin compression sleeves (definitely helpful)
-Diclofenac sodium topical gel (definitely one of the most helpful things I've tried, it's not going to cure them, but if you need it to run or finish a training phase, this works great. You need a prescription though)
-Gameready compression device (Helpful to a point)
-Dry needling (nope, just painful)
-Dry needling with E-stim (once again, just painful)
-Simply time off, or cross-training. I've done a lot of underwater treadmill work. It helps, but you can't exactly do this forever and expect to get better. For me, it was more limiting high-impact things. So no depth drops, less single-leg explosive training, etc.

Sorry for the longer post, let me know if you'd like me to expand upon any of this, but hopefully this gives you some ideas. I'm sure I've tried other things (chiropractor, massages, etc) but honestly, I forget everything I've tried at this point haha. Good luck!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you no longer need a prescription...diclofenic gel is now sold over the counter-VOLTAREN GEL works MUCH better than the generic diclofenic.

C

ChilledFaith

Awards
you no longer need a prescription...diclofenic gel is now sold over the counter-VOLTAREN GEL works MUCH better than the generic diclofenic.
Interesting! I wasn't aware, Ill be looking into that! Thanks!

Q

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I started running around a year ago.
Like suggested, I went up to a running shoe store and was fitted.
I ended up with a pair of On running shoes.
Very good running shoe. Stopped my calf pumps immediately.

BUT, I recently started an oral with my trt, 10mg of superdrol per day.

On week three of the sd and my calves were so pumped this morning I couldn't finish my run had to walk. Probably going to drop the sd.

KingAnt

KingAnt

Awards
  • Established
So for some quick context, I'm a D1 track athlete, so I end up running a fair bit. I have had shin splints since middle school. I have also had 4 stress fractures in my shins, so I know the pain. Here are some of the things I have tried, some help, some not so much, but they may work for you.

-Custom orthotics (pretty helpful imho)
-strengthening the auxiliary muscles, this included balance training, lots of band training, training in sand, ankle training, different motion training, etc. Tons of ways to hit stabilizer muscles you may not normally work out
-Laser pain therapy (didn't do anything for me)
-Ice bath 5-6 times a week (many times alternating with a hot tub, helpful for sure)
-Ice cupping (seems to get a bit deeper, also helpful)
-Graston technique (didn't do much for me)
-Shin releases (helpful but painful as heck)
-ultrasound (no noticeable differences)
-Every pain cream imaginable (Sometimes helpful)
-Long term use of anti-inflammatories (longish, cycle on and off for a few weeks at a time, wouldn't recommend, but helped a bit, this was an idea (and prescription) from a doctor)
-Gait training (basically improving your run, helpful if your a bad runner)
-New shoes (probably the biggest difference for me, I get free shoes every 2 months or so for track, but I end up buying my own that work for me, you name them, I've tried them. Currently, the alphafly training shoes from nike are what I'm running in and they definitely seem to help, just pricey.)
-Shin compression sleeves (definitely helpful)
-Diclofenac sodium topical gel (definitely one of the most helpful things I've tried, it's not going to cure them, but if you need it to run or finish a training phase, this works great. You need a prescription though)
-Gameready compression device (Helpful to a point)
-Dry needling (nope, just painful)
-Dry needling with E-stim (once again, just painful)
-Simply time off, or cross-training. I've done a lot of underwater treadmill work. It helps, but you can't exactly do this forever and expect to get better. For me, it was more limiting high-impact things. So no depth drops, less single-leg explosive training, etc.

Sorry for the longer post, let me know if you'd like me to expand upon any of this, but hopefully this gives you some ideas. I'm sure I've tried other things (chiropractor, massages, etc) but honestly, I forget everything I've tried at this point haha. Good luck!
Sorry for the super late reply.
I ended up taking a few months off and they healed up nicely, but sure enough I recently started picking up my running again and now my ankles are killing. I'm worried it's the start of shin splints again. I've since stopped running (3 or 4 days ago)
But I can feel it sometimes when walking or even just laying in bed right now.

I been running in hoka's with significant cushioning and I beleive a 5mm heel to toe drop. I also have a pair of altra's with a zero drop. I typically alternate between the two using the altras to work the calves and stabilizers a bit more and the hokas for foot protection on longer runs .

So here's the deal, I just got picked up for a full time firefighter position and the academy starts September 20th. It's 9 weeks long and there is expected to be a **** ton of running.
I absolutely need to be healed up by then and I need to avoid injury at all cost.

I've closed my running gate and my all around form has gotten much better since my initial post.
I'm not lifting weights right now in an attempt to lose some top mass and reduce impact on the area.

I have BPC 157 on the way, as well as VOLTAREN GEL.

Hot and cold ice baths are something I've done in the past, and it works moderately, doesn't help much with actually being able to go run the next day.

Last time I had shin splints I was going through the fire 1 and 2 college course and had to just suffer through the agonizing pain and pretend it wasn't there. NOT FUN!

my question is, with your experience in running what would you be doing if you were in my position with such a short time frame to heal and expected to be running alot for the next 9 weeks after this 20 day buffer ?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Apex Alchemy Helioplex works great to relieve the pain.

KingAnt

KingAnt

Awards
  • Established
Apex Alchemy Helioplex works great to relieve the pain.
Does it have any real healing benefits? And will it relieve the pain enough for me to push myself through some hard work outs?
I'll look into it thanks

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Does it have any real healing benefits? And will it relieve the pain enough for me to push myself through some hard work outs?
I'll look into it thanks
@nostrum420 I'm sure can answer this much better than me. But yes it will allow you to push through your workouts with less pain (In my case No Pain)

KingAnt

KingAnt

Awards
  • Established
@nostrum420 I'm sure can answer this much better than me. But yes it will allow you to push through your workouts with less pain (In my case No Pain)
I'm in then, I'll look into it right now

C

ChilledFaith

Awards
Sorry for the super late reply.
I ended up taking a few months off and they healed up nicely, but sure enough I recently started picking up my running again and now my ankles are killing. I'm worried it's the start of shin splints again. I've since stopped running (3 or 4 days ago)
But I can feel it sometimes when walking or even just laying in bed right now.

I been running in hoka's with significant cushioning and I beleive a 5mm heel to toe drop. I also have a pair of altra's with a zero drop. I typically alternate between the two using the altras to work the calves and stabilizers a bit more and the hokas for foot protection on longer runs .

So here's the deal, I just got picked up for a full time firefighter position and the academy starts September 20th. It's 9 weeks long and there is expected to be a **** ton of running.
I absolutely need to be healed up by then and I need to avoid injury at all cost.

I've closed my running gate and my all around form has gotten much better since my initial post.
I'm not lifting weights right now in an attempt to lose some top mass and reduce impact on the area.

I have BPC 157 on the way, as well as VOLTAREN GEL.

Hot and cold ice baths are something I've done in the past, and it works moderately, doesn't help much with actually being able to go run the next day.

Last time I had shin splints I was going through the fire 1 and 2 college course and had to just suffer through the agonizing pain and pretend it wasn't there. NOT FUN!

my question is, with your experience in running what would you be doing if you were in my position with such a short time frame to heal and expected to be running alot for the next 9 weeks after this 20 day buffer ?
For me it would depend on a few things. If I had a big meet coming up at a national level usually I'd taper off the week before and really work on some inflammation reduction. But this would be saying that you only need to run hard for one day. For a more permanent solution, or if I was in your shoes this would probably be my protocol leading into it, say a month before you have to start a lot of running.

Week 1: Lots of stabilizer muscle strengthening. Id get a band and work all four motions of the ankle (inversion, eversion, abduction, aduction) with the goal to try and strengthen anything that could be causing issues in my running gait. Next Id add in balancing on 1 leg with my eyes shut for 1 minute. Once you can do that without having to open your eyes or stabilize yourself with your other leg, start to do it on a foam surface or uneven surface, or even sand. You will feel this pretty quickly. Lastly would be to work on opening up the foot and ankle. By this, I mean taking a foot rolling ball (or golf ball, lacross ball, etc) and really work all over your foot until it's loose. Do the same with the calf, there are a few ways to hit the deeper calf better (i.e. the soleus) but google should help with that. I also wouldn't roll out the actual shins unless you find it helpful, personally I feel that made it worse. Ohh and I'd taper down the running and cross-train more, elliptical, bike etc.
I'd also add in helios and BPC if you've got the money.

Week 2: More of the same, strengthening and flexibility.

Week 3: This would be more on inflammation reduction, continue with the strengthening and flexibility but add in a few more things. After you've done your foot/ankle/calf workout use an ice cup to try and target deeper inflammation. If you can feel a lot of "bumps" around the inside or outside of your shin bone, I'd add in Graston or Astym. This should break that up, it'll add inflammation but it's necessary. I'd also start ultrasound at least 3 times a week if available and throw in some red light therapy (I'm experimenting with it now, not sure if it'll help but it can't hurt.)

Week 4: More of the same and I'd start to look at your running gait. See if your ankles evert or invert when running. Figure out if you are a toe or heel striker, if you strike too hard, etc. Find any issues with your running and work on fixing them. Some you may be able to put a bandaid on, so to speak. Cover up the issue but not fix, i.e. custom insoles will help with eversion and inversion, but they aren't going to do a ton if you have too much of a breaking motion in your run.

I would also add I have access to an underwater treadmill, so I would generally cross-train almost the whole month by running in that.

Hope this helped!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 2
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0