SAMe

ChaseRoy

Awards
Have any of you guys used SAMe for anything (joints, mood, etc...)? if so, please explain how much, for what purpose, and if it worked for you. Also, if you are a great info. guy (curt) and want to post some info on it, it would be appreciated, thanx.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I would try this again in the Supplement section. You may have better luck there :)

stevencfitnes

stevencfitnes

Awards
  • Established
I tried it a few times myself

Not a big fan, I took it because it was supposed to help with overall happiness and reduce anxiety and increase mood but all I did for me was made me depressed a paragraph you have to be super careful with things like these, because depending on your own brain chemistry they can affect you super positively super negatively or not at all

I'm definitely an outlier though, most people react well to SAM-e but I suggest that you start your dose low and work up from there

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used it for mood and joints, but to use the doses required to get benefits, it just got too expensive. And honestly the benefits were only so-so, then again I only ran it for one month due to cost.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used it for mood and joints, but to use the doses required to get benefits, it just got too expensive. And honestly the benefits were only so-so, then again I only ran it for one month due to cost.
I have similar thoughts as you. SAMe helped with mood and joints just a bit, nothing spectacular. On the other hand, if something helps significantly with mood, the quick fix supps can be addictive for some users. So maybe this mild/slight effect is what we want???

I believe there's studies that show SAMe is liver protective as well.

I mitigated price by watching for Bogo sales at local pharmacies.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SAMe is good for people who need methyl donors in their diet. Some people don't react well to them. I'd say going off experience on the boards, it's been more beneficial for people than not though, so it's worth a try. Like others have said, it's not a miracle supplement, although they do have SAMe injections available which will obviously be much stronger than the tabs.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How does one know if they need methyl donors in their diet?

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I tried several brands for months at a time over a decade ago for depression and anxiety. Overall, it would give me a burst of energy on day 1 that actually felt quite nice....natural and somewhat euphoric. After day 1, those positive effects dwindled down to nothing, and I felt quite melancholy with somewhere blunted emotions. I also had moments of increased social anxiety on it. It also disrupted by GI tract...no matter what brand.

Ultimately, I decided it was not for me!

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How does one know if they need methyl donors in their diet?
Try to ping The Matrix with a msg, he's an expert at this topic. I wish I could remember, but always seem to forget the science behind it. There's a way to test I believe. NADH (or possibly NAD+) is what is used for people who can not tolerate SAMe.