Running/cramping help

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I used to run a lot but haven’t run as much lately because of trying to get stronger, but since the gyms are closed I got new running shoes to start running again. Cardio is decent since I have been doing sprints and short burst cardio on rower, air bike and elliptical.

My problem now is that I can’t run/jog much more than 1 mile before calves is pumped to the point it cramps painfully, lol, have had to walk the rest...

What can I take to not to cramp this much, Taurine? Or what do you guys recommend?

Thanks for any help!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Taurine might help. Truthfully I would ensure you're getting enough H2O and stretching appropriately.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How long have you been re-introducing running?

It could be your technique, pace/cadence, etc.

I would just keep sticking to it and it should get better. Whenever I run after a layoff from running I do tend to have my calves take the most punishment at the beginning, but they get better as I get more used to it.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
+1 on the stretching. The same happens to me. I could be adequately hydrated, take taurine, etc, and still cramp if I didn’t stretch my calves properly

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd look at your mechanics. It's amazing how many haven't been taught to run jump and throw properly in their youth.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You guys are right, I just need to get used to it again, it’s just super frustrating that I can’t do more than a mile before my legs give out... Thanks guy, I keep doing what I can until I get used to it.