Research resources

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
It seems there is a desire for learning here, and that many would like to see relevant scholarly articles pertaining to aging, hypogonadism, etc. That's all great, but we cannot hound Dr. John as our only resource. We have access to a wealth of information online.

I have discovered that

HighWire Press

can be a very helpful resource to search into all kinds of scholarly journals. I did the following search

weight lifting testosterone growth hormone

and found tons of abstracts and some full-texts of articles FOR FREE!

Check it out!

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
It seems there is a desire for learning here, and that many would like to see relevant scholarly articles pertaining to aging, hypogonadism, etc. That's all great, but we cannot hound Dr. John as our only resource. We have access to a wealth of information online.

I have discovered that

HighWire Press

can be a very helpful resource to search into all kinds of scholarly journals. I did the following search

Check it out!
This is excellent initiative, and I would welcome as much information as possible.

Hovewer conclusions sometimes differ.
I have one current case in mind.
MESO-Rx - View Single Post - I am on HRT with DIM...
Quote:
As far as DIM causing an overall increase in total estrogens, I have heard the opposite. Dr. Michael Zeligs has written several articles on it, and so I have always considered DIM to have CYP19 (aromatase)-inhibiting properties. Maybe this is wrong, though.

I would prefer if Dr John was right after all, he is my doc.
But it is cutting edge, nothing is supposed to be personal, we are after the truth. It is 2 years after those words were written, where are we today?
I think that Dr John still holds his opinion on DIM since from the whole recommendation list, he only withheld his support for flax.

This is one reason that not all conclusions are clear cut, and in the end I am more comfortable relying on my Dr interpretation as of today, rather then my own, after reading the same papers.

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
I also would go to my doctor for interpretation and opinion of my specific situation. Everyone here should do that.

However, the recent requests that Dr. John post relevant scholarly articles or comment on them are what motivated my post to the site at Stanford.

FYI777

Awards

I have discovered that

HighWire Press

Check it out!
Thanks, dude!!!

I'm trying to acess a database called EMBASE (embase.com)
no luck tho, keeps telling me I need a subscription code and to ask librarian for it.Any suggestions?

more european stuff.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of research publication sites out there, only problem being the juicy publications tend to be summary only unless you have a subscription. Pubmed.gov is my first stop when looking for research.

FYI777

Awards
There are a lot of research publication sites out there, only problem being the juicy publications tend to be summary only unless you have a subscription. Pubmed.gov is my first stop when looking for research.
Mine too but what a difference sometimes when typing in the same keyword but using different databases.

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Mine too but what a difference sometimes when typing in the same keyword but using different databases.

I had been using pubmed.com, but it seems the Stanford tool is finding a lot more.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
The problem is in locating and identyfying the juicy ones.
I woud not mind paying for real value.
When someone locate valuable research (by paing for an article), applicable to our situations here, please post a note and reference.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I've had some success finding studies via GeneCards Homepage Just find the gene and amongst the info it gives you'll find relevant studies in categories.

FYI777

Awards
Oh, I've had some success finding studies via GeneCards Homepage Just find the gene and amongst the info it gives you'll find relevant studies in categories.
I don't know,says you need to be a nonprofit institution otherwise need a comercial license from some corporation or something.

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
The problem is in locating and identyfying the juicy ones.
I woud not mind paying for real value.
When someone locate valuable research (by paing for an article), applicable to our situations here, please post a note and reference.

For an extremely focused search of MEDLINE, for example, you might try hiring a free-lance information broker who specializes in the biomedical area to seach MEDLINE for you using the DIALOG search engine.

DIALOG is only available on a fee basis and their high-powered search engine is extremely difficult to use without special trainining. But a librarian with the proper training and experience can work real miracles using DIALOG.

University medical libraries provide the same type of fee-based service.