Replacing deadlifts with squats

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I want to replace conventional deadlifts on back days with squats

I already do Romanian deadlifts on back day so I shouldn’t suffer lower back because of those I’d think?

Is this a bad idea? My legs are my weak point

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Two things.

1) That isn't really a viable substitute, that isn't a back movement and isn't really the same as deadlifting.

2) That said if legs are a weak point you could squat on back day as a way to increase overall leg stimulus, but that is going to depend a lot on the structure of how the rest of your training is set up.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yes, make squats your main exercise. I would alter Romanians with conv deadlifts (so you can maintain the ability you have trained for and maintain 80 percent strength). Best accessory exercise for the posterior chain is proper use a glute Ham machine. Do a few sets twice a week after squats or deads or non chest supported back work. Secret to strong and bigger legs (not to mention a bullet proof posterior) is the glute Ham machine.

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Two things.

1) That isn't really a viable substitute, that isn't a back movement and isn't really the same as deadlifting.

2) That said if legs are a weak point you could squat on back day as a way to increase overall leg stimulus, but that is going to depend a lot on the structure of how the rest of your training is set up.
I just see some pros don’t deadlift well a lot of em actually that’s why I was considering it what’s ur take on that

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Yes, make squats your main exercise. I would alter Romanians with conv deadlifts (so you can maintain the ability you have trained for and maintain 80 percent strength). Best accessory exercise for the posterior chain is proper use a glute Ham machine. Do a few sets twice a week after squats or deads or non chest supported back work. Secret to strong and bigger legs (not to mention a bullet proof posterior) is the glute Ham machine.
Glute ham machine?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just see some pros don’t deadlift well a lot of em actually that’s why I was considering it what’s ur take on that
I mean unless you compete in powerlifting or something you don’t “have” to do any specific exercise.

Again it’s hard to quantify without a full look at everything you are doing, but given the proper reasoning and balance of other things it would be fine to squat on another day other than “leg” day. I’m a fan of higher frequency for muscle groups anyways.

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I mean unless you compete in powerlifting or something you don’t “have” to do any specific exercise.

Again it’s hard to quantify without a full look at everything you are doing, but given the proper reasoning and balance of other things it would be fine to squat on another day other than “leg” day. I’m a fan of higher frequency for muscle groups anyways.
**** I just figured if I was already doing Romanian deadlifts on leg day then I can get rid of conv deadlifts on back day and squat again

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
**** I just figured if I was already doing Romanian deadlifts on leg day then I can get rid of conv deadlifts on back day and squat again
What are your goals? Are your legs weaker and you want to put in extra work on them? Do you just not like deadlifts. As others have said, you don't HAVE to do anything. It all depends on what you want to get out of it.

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
What are your goals? Are your legs weaker and you want to put in extra work on them? Do you just not like deadlifts. As others have said, you don't HAVE to do anything. It all depends on what you want to get out of it.
Legs are a huge weak point for me but I won’t be replacing deadlifts I just had on cycle laziness I think if I throw out deadlifts I lose that whole solidity in my core and posterior

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Legs are a huge weak point for me but I won’t be replacing deadlifts I just had on cycle laziness I think if I throw out deadlifts I lose that whole solidity in my core and posterior
yeah, it's a hard one to replace!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you have a hex (trap) bar at your gym? It's more "squattier" than a standard barbell deadlift but still a hip hinge movement with more quad activation.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do you have a hex (trap) bar at your gym? It's more "squattier" than a standard barbell deadlift but still a hip hinge movement with more quad activation.
Nah I dont
Dang I was thinking this from your very first post! I can build a lot more quad (and less back/ham) using the high handles of a trapbar. Much easier exercise to tolerate hypertrophy levels of volume.

Sometimes gyms will have a deadlift/shrug machine - those are very much like a trap/hexbar.