Regaining a normal HPTA?

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Dr. John,

I know this thread may sort of cross over with the PCT forum but I have read many of your post in various places over the internet and respect your opinion greatly.

I am relatively young (31 yrs old) but have experimented with AAS/PH/PS over the years. I alwys follow typical PCT protocols but over the years I have had very unusual blood work results at various times, even when I have not used any hormonal products for very long periods of time.

At times I have had testosterone levels as high at 750 ng/dl and as low as 301 ng/dl. It does not appear that this variation has to do with how long after using a hormonal product. Some of the higher levels have been 4 or five months after a hormonal product and some of the lower levels have been 4 or 5 months after using a hormonal product.

Additionally, I have had huge variations in test level upon repeated blood tests on the same day. I realize Testosterone levels vary throughout the day but I am talking about variations of almost 400 ng/dl during the course of the same day! Seems strange to me.

Additionally, some of my problems are complicated by hypothyroidism (treated with Armour 2grains per day) and concurrent depression (successfully treated right now on 20mgs or Prozac).

I would really like to try to get away from using hormonal products anymore for the rest of my life. At my age I am really just becoming interested in being healthier. But because of the lack of libido and slight impairment of sexual functioning from the Antidepressants, I always seem to be drawn back to hormonal products in an attempt to self medicate.

I am wondering in my lack of libido and slight sexual problems are just likely the by product of antidepressant use (and if so if you know of anything to help) or if it is likely that I also have underlying HPTA problems 9and if so what is the best way to sort this out and at least make a solid attempt at getting my own system restarted). I have not yet had any children and so I am quite wary of beginning liflelong HRT at this age.

Thanks for reading this long winded post.

Mr.50

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Doc I appreciate the response. I was wondering what is the best way to contact you off of the open channels of forum posting. I am pretty certain we are not in the same state but maybe there is a way we could set something up or you might be able to tell me the best way to reach a competent physician in my area. Thanks.

Mr.50

50--I sure don't mind trying to help guys recover their systems after steroid/PH (same thing, from a hormonal standpoint) use. In fact, it's a fairly sizeable portion of my medical practice. Surely, if you can restart you rown system, that is preferable to going on meds for the rest of your life.

Total T levels do fluctuate over the day, and greatly. Generally, they are highest in the morning, but I have copy of serioal labs drawn on a patient of mine at a research center which shows them first quartile to upper quartile as the day goes on, and up and down like a roller coaster along the way. And we always have to keep in mind that guys come to me because their bodies have not "read the medical book" as we say.

There are quite a few Functional Medicine physicians around the country who use detox protocols to restore glandular function.

Whatever you do, don't leave your thyroid hormone levels low.

But yes, many medications can cause your symptoms.

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
You, and anyone else who needs medical care, are always welcome to contact me via my practice's email address:

[email protected]

While we are on the subject, guys, PLEASE do not contact me wanting specific medical advice, unless you are going to become a patient of mine. I have to delete at least a dozen posts per day of this sort. If I started answering them, that is all I'd ever get done, as there's no time to provide free Consultations for everyone.
It was a lovely mild winter last December when I made the trip to Michigan. It was worth it guys.

WF

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
It was a lovely mild summer day exactly one week ago Tuesday when I made my way up to Michigan to see Dr. John. Without a doubt, It was one of the best decisions I made in my life in order to regain my HPTA. I truly appreciate all your help Dr. John. :)

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
There are quite a few Functional Medicine physicians around the country who use detox protocols to restore glandular function.
Do you know what type of detoxes are used for restoring hypothalamus & pituitary function?

Thanks

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Do you know what type of detoxes are used for restoring hypothalamus & pituitary function?

Thanks
I believe Dr. John gives you a swift kick in the nutz. It forces the testis to start producing again:D sorry I had to

Seriously I'm interested as well as my father (50) is in the same boat.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I believe Dr. John gives you a swift kick in the nutz. It forces the testis to start producing again:D sorry I had to
Sometimes he has to do it more than once if it doesn't restart the first time :nutkick: :nutkick: