Unanswered Raw eggs?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey

What's everyone's thoughts on consuming raw eggs. Not just cracking into a glass and chugging it down but... Adding it to a blended mix of fruit and protein powder.. Ie a smoothie. Just with the raw eggs mixed in their?

I have an explanation for this....

I live on a farm and we have 10 hens which 8 are currently laying an egg daily so we're gathering 8 eggs a day. With their lifestyle their probably more nutrient dense than even your classic Free Range one's at the supermarket.

Weve completely sickened ourself with eggs. I have done fried boiled poached just to vary it but i am getting bored of them just now. I still add them to my diet purely for the fact we have so many and... Well eggs are an awesome food in general (Nutrient wise + Protein + Good fat)

I made a smoothie the other night which i thought tasted brilliant and this morning i thought about cracking a couple of eggs to the mix?

What's everyone's thoughts on them raw. Their are so many people that say no don't its too risky and also some people who even consume 12 raw eggs daily and are in great health.

Do you think having say 2 raw eggs a day is ok? Just to bump my fats and Protein up a little and secondly is to save them being wasted.

Thanks

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ve always thought the risk of getting sick is a little overblown. The main issue is there’s a compound in eggs (I forget what now) that actually binds to the protein and decreases absorption. From what I’ve seen, cooked eggs are most likely healthier, but I don’t think there’s any serious issues with raw eggs.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve always thought the risk of getting sick is a little overblown. The main issue is there’s a compound in eggs (I forget what now) that actually binds to the protein and decreases absorption. From what I’ve seen, cooked eggs are most likely healthier, but I don’t think there’s any serious issues with raw eggs.
I have heard about absorbing less protein. Also... I have heard cooking also destroys a few of the nutrients in eggs? So don't know what to believe lol

Yeh i think the salmonella scare is slightly overrated. Not saying it isn't an issue but i think it's rare

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Safe or not, I don’t think I could do it cause it sounds gross.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
keep in mind protein in raw eggs is less bioavailable (aka less easily absorbed) by the body than the protein in cooked egg .
Cooking eggs will reduce salmonella, and reduce risk of food poisoning
If you’re looking to consume eggs in a safe way that maximizes protein absorption eat them cooked.

SMS

SMS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
maybe use them for cooking? (cakes, pastry, ice cream, bread..etc),

also you can still use some in smoothies/shakes, just make sure to break them properly. and not letting the exterior touch the interior. (although will be less bioavailable.)

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you need this you can always look into international egg whites or another egg product.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
keep in mind protein in raw eggs is less bioavailable (aka less easily absorbed) by the body than the protein in cooked egg .
Cooking eggs will reduce salmonella, and reduce risk of food poisoning
If you’re looking to consume eggs in a safe way that maximizes protein absorption eat them cooked.
This is what i have been doing I just meant that with us getting as many eggs daily we have really tired our self of every cooking option.

I fried 4 lastnight and i just ate them purely for its nutrition. You know if you continuously do something you become tired of it? Well that's eggs for us

Just didn't want to waste them. They do last a long time though so taking a break now and again would be fine. I have even looked for other ways to incorporate eggs. I think their one of the best foods you can eat tbh. Especially if you train

I will see what i can do. I'm sure their are tons of options

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
maybe use them for cooking? (cakes, pastry, ice cream, bread..etc),

also you can still use some in smoothies/shakes, just make sure to break them properly. and not letting the exterior touch the interior. (although will be less bioavailable.)
We wash the outer shell before we use any eggs We know salmonella lives on the shell rather than in the actual raw egg itself. It can 'sometimes' be found inside the shell but it's very rare.

We wash them just to make sure. That's why we were just thinking of using them in smoothies etc.. I might try it with a couple and see what it's like and how my stomach reacts.

I have made cakes before and it's an easy way to lose eggs Might just do this aswell. Tons of decent recipes these days that are quite healthy aswell so will have a look into this also

Thanks

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is what i have been doing I just meant that with us getting as many eggs daily we have really tired our self of every cooking option.

I fried 4 lastnight and i just ate them purely for its nutrition. You know if you continuously do something you become tired of it? Well that's eggs for us

Just didn't want to waste them. They do last a long time though so taking a break now and again would be fine. I have even looked for other ways to incorporate eggs. I think their one of the best foods you can eat tbh. Especially if you train

I will see what i can do. I'm sure their are tons of options

Sounds like you have an awesome resource many of us dont. I love eggs. I think if you wind up drinking them raw it won’t be the end of the world, but just may not be optimal. Maybe cook them and blend them in a shake? Idk. I usually just do hardboiled or an omelette, but I don’t have the on hand Supply you do. They are fresh, you know how they are raised, so you have an advantage there for sure. One thing I would tell you is people can develop allergies over time when they eat a lot of the same things. I watched my grandmother develop a minor egg ellergy over the years. She can stilll have them, but only once in a while or else it causes her issues. I’m sure her case is specific to her, but still may be something to look into.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sounds like you have an awesome resource many of us dont. I love eggs. I think if you wind up drinking them raw it won’t be the end of the world, but just may not be optimal. Maybe cook them and blend them in a shake? Idk. I usually just do hardboiled or an omelette, but I don’t have the on hand Supply you do. They are fresh, you know how they are raised, so you have an advantage there for sure. One thing I would tell you is people can develop allergies over time when they eat a lot of the same things. I watched my grandmother develop a minor egg ellergy over the years. She can stilll have them, but only once in a while or else it causes her issues. I’m sure her case is specific to her, but still may be something to look into.
I’ve heard of allergies like that before. I don’t know much about it, but I’ve heard it’s fairly common in bodybuilders because they constantly eat the same couple foods over and over.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’ve heard of allergies like that before. I don’t know much about it, but I’ve heard it’s fairly common in bodybuilders because they constantly eat the same couple foods over and over.
Yea man just something I think about. It already happened to me with dairy. I’m damn near lactose intolerant and the only one in my family. I think it’s due to all the bulking and whey shakes I did for years. Now I have to really watch what I eat and almost always stray away from whey most of the time.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yea man just something I think about. It already happened to me with dairy. I’m damn near lactose intolerant and the only one in my family. I think it’s due to all the bulking and whey shakes I did for years. Now I have to really watch what I eat and almost always stray away from whey most of the time.
Yeah I was getting an upset stomach for a little while, so one day I tried cutting out milk and it cleared right up. I didn’t ever have any for maybe 5 years. It doesn’t bother me now.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeh kind of spoiled in that regard. Just like anything though.. Constant use and you get tired of it. We have both sickened ourself with eggs.

I did a couple times add egg whites to my oats and if mix them in. But.. I done it once and a big lump of egg white floated into my mouth and i nearly threw it back up... So that was the end of that

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is it from your body building a tolerance over time? See i am fine with dairy. I can eat MASS amounts and it never gives me bother (This is yogurt or cottage cheese). If your buying supermarket milk. That's garbage. We use raw milk from our farm. I never buy pasteurised/hemoginised milk. We use milk directly from our tank which hasn't been touched. I wouldn't ever touch milk from a supermarket. If you had Raw milk your body would tolerate it no problem at all. It's treated milk that has caused lactose intolerance in people over the years. It destroys the natural enzymes already present in the milk and also destroys alot of the nutrients and the healthy fats.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is it from your body building a tolerance over time? See i am fine with dairy. I can eat MASS amounts and it never gives me bother (This is yogurt or cottage cheese). If your buying supermarket milk. That's garbage. We use raw milk from our farm. I never buy pasteurised/hemoginised milk. We use milk directly from our tank which hasn't been touched. I wouldn't ever touch milk from a supermarket. If you had Raw milk your body would tolerate it no problem at all. It's treated milk that has caused lactose intolerance in people over the years. It destroys the natural enzymes already present in the milk and also destroys alot of the nutrients and the healthy fats.
It’s always been supermarket food for me. I am not geographically located near any farms, but I’m not sure. I had milk products forever, I started bodybuilding and the food quantities increased, especially milk products. I got one week into the gallon of milk a day mindset in my early bulking days. I was at 1/2 gallon working my way up and no good. You are probably correct about the raw milk thing. But I have had supermarket dairy for years and it seemed like once I started to use a lot of whey shakes and eat more dairy, It just became an issue. Now I have to be very careful of how much dairy I eat. For the most part I’ve switched to coconut milk or almond milk and for whey I make sure it is a straight isolate or hydrolysate if I’m using it at all. Occasionally I will eat whatever dairy I want and just mentally prepare myself to feel and look fkd up for. A few days

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brocodeout69 Nutrition / Health 71
william247 Bulking 24
cory0475 Bulking 25
Weight Loss 11
Nutrition / Health 43