Raw Dog Recomp Log (ft BMP, fasting, and keto)

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Something else to note, I started M Test and SNS ZMA (two caps not 3) five days ago. Per my sleep cycle app, the past four nights my sleep quality has been right around 80%. It is normally in the high 60s or low 70s. It’s definitely not just the KSM in M Test, I always take KSM before bed. Hopefully this keeps up!

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Had a pretty good weekend. Ended up just doing abs Friday and no workout yesterday due to drinking. One underrated aspect of keto is alcohol tolerance for sure. Didn’t want to drink too much or get hammered, but 4 white claws had me feeling pretty damn drunk haha. Probably helped that I ate very light before going out, that was a damn good idea though because I got the munchies like crazy. Managed to resist cravings and turn down the pizza, waited until I got home to kill a bunch of skyline chili, cheese, pork rinds, and guac. Only time I crave carbs is when I’m drunk but damn can that be tough sometimes.

Back to business today though. Just got done stocking up on chuck eye steak to save a bit of money. Also grabbed a bunch of baking supplies, going to give keto cookies a shot for the first time. I’m not a baker by any means, but need more diversity in my diet sometimes and it never hurts to learn something. Hopefully they turn out well! About to get ready for chest day now

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Chest/tris/abs/forearms
DB bench
30-10
40-10
50-10
55-7
50-7
45-10
45-9
45-8

Dips

Cable fly machibe
50-15
55-12
60-12
60-12
60-11
55-11
55-10
50-11

Rope pull down drop sets SS plate pinch
55-10
55-6
44-8
44-8
44-7

Bench crunch SS cable wrist curl
BW-12 and 71.5-22
+10-12 and 77-14
+10-14 and 77-12
+10-12 and 77-14
+10-11 and 77-10
+10-11 and 71.5-15

Vacuums

Had a great workout considering the hangover. A bit disappointed with bench numbers, and the dips fell way off after the first set but I managed a solid ass amount of volume. Felt a bit dehydrated, forearms were holding me back on bench and kept feeling like they were going to cramp. Need to do a better job of staying hydrated when I drink. Got in my zone and didn’t want to leave so I added in some heavy ab work some forearm work. Pump was absolutely insane today with vasoblitz + 1 Tbsp GMS.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice workout! I remember rich piana would always do vacuums after each workout. I was staying consistent with doing them for awhile but then fell off the train.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice workout! I remember rich piana would always do vacuums after each workout. I was staying consistent with doing them for awhile but then fell off the train.
I love them haha, one of my favorite ab workouts. I tan for 8 minutes standing once a week, try to do them the whole time during the session.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Amazing leg day. Numbers went up across the board!

Leg press cable machine high and wide
160-15
230-12
280-8
280-3
250-8

Good morning
60-12
100-14
100-12
100-11

Leg curl cable machine
145-11
160-7
160-6
150-7 dc

Lower back hyperextension +25lb,BW after dropping

Quad roc-it machine (I hate this machine but the one I normally use is out of order)
145-10
165-7
165-7
165-7
165-7
165-6 dc

Seated calf press plate machine SS hip thrust 75lb DB
90-20 and 15
135-15 and 13
160-12 and 14
160-10 and 13
160-8 and 12
2 hour workout today. Was amazing. Set PRs in every single exercise I performed today. Can barely walk right now but I haven’t felt this good about a workout in awhile!

Leg press cable machine high and wide
160-18
230-13
290-10 PR
290-5
260-7

Good morning BB
60-12
100-15 PR
100-13
100-13

Quad extension cable machine
175-10
200-7 PR
190-7
180-7
170-6 DC style stretch at end
150-6 DC stretch

Leg curl cable machine
145-10
160-9 PR
160-5
150-5 DC stretch

Hyperextensions +25lb,BW
12,8 PR
Back pumps got me bad here after the first set. 2.5g GMS might have been a bad idea

Seated calf press plate machine SS DB hip thrust 75lb
90-20 and 18 PR
135-15 and 14
160-14 PR and 14
160-10 and 12
135-14 and 10
135-20,90-26,45-40 calf drop set fast reps
The set at the end was brutal, still feeling it

Cable curl SS Reverse grip curl
33-12 and 27.5-10
33-5 and 27.5-7
27.5-5 and 22-7
Was hoping to do more with arms, but by this time my body was just exhausted. Let it go and called it a workout.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice leg workout and looks like you hit a couple PRs!

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
DB Arnold press
25-10
30-10
35-7 discomfort
30-7 discomfort

Lateral raise machine
35-15
45-16
50-12
45-13 discomfort
30-13 discomfort

Rear delt fly cable machine
50-15
60-14
60-14
65-10
60-10
Felt perfectly fine for all sets, no issues with this

DB lateral raise
10-15
15-12
12.5-12
10-9 discomfort

Captain chair leg raises

Rope Tricep cable pull SS bench crunch +10lb
55-10 and 11
55-8 and 10
44-10 and 9
44-9 and 8

Pretty shitty workout. Shoulder felt worse than it has in awhile. Had to stop many sets and exercises due to discomfort. Very mild pain, nothing too bad, but enough to make me concerned and stop. Silver lining I guess is that my rear delts and abs got a good workout today.

No idea what the deal was with the shoulder today. Everything has been good, even my last shoulder day didn’t give me issues. I’ve been doing my rehab exercises daily and I warmed up well today. Kind of put me in a bad mood. A lot of thinking to do.

Do I go see a doc and probably waste a ton of money?
Do I avoid push exercises, only doing legs and pull exercises for a few weeks?
Do I just fast until it feels better?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DB Arnold press
25-10
30-10
35-7 discomfort
30-7 discomfort

Lateral raise machine
35-15
45-16
50-12
45-13 discomfort
30-13 discomfort

Rear delt fly cable machine
50-15
60-14
60-14
65-10
60-10
Felt perfectly fine for all sets, no issues with this

DB lateral raise
10-15
15-12
12.5-12
10-9 discomfort

Captain chair leg raises

Rope Tricep cable pull SS bench crunch +10lb
55-10 and 11
55-8 and 10
44-10 and 9
44-9 and 8

Pretty shitty workout. Shoulder felt worse than it has in awhile. Had to stop many sets and exercises due to discomfort. Very mild pain, nothing too bad, but enough to make me concerned and stop. Silver lining I guess is that my rear delts and abs got a good workout today.

No idea what the deal was with the shoulder today. Everything has been good, even my last shoulder day didn’t give me issues. I’ve been doing my rehab exercises daily and I warmed up well today. Kind of put me in a bad mood. A lot of thinking to do.

Do I go see a doc and probably waste a ton of money?
Do I avoid push exercises, only doing legs and pull exercises for a few weeks?
Do I just fast until it feels better?
If it was me:

-google to find the cause, there are a lot of tests a doc would perform, like "drop arm test"
-google to find the specific rehab exercises
-considering peptites BPC/PEG-MGF/TB-500
-rest, ice, NSAIDS and no presses/aggravating exercises until better

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If it was me:

-google to find the cause, there are a lot of tests a doc would perform, like "drop arm test"
-google to find the specific rehab exercises
-considering peptites BPC/PEG-MGF/TB-500
-rest, ice, NSAIDS and no presses/aggravating exercises until better
Appreciate the response. I know that both of us share similar feelings on doctors. Going to do some more research on the peptides tomorrow. Will also run some more of tests. I went through tons of them a week or two ago but couldn’t get any pain at the time. As I mentioned there are no imbalances or weaknesses, and if anything my left shoulder was actually performing better than my right today on the lateral raises.

I haven’t been doing ice at all, I feel dumb for not thinking about that. Will definitely start icing it as well. Probably going to take the day off tomorrow, just wish there was more science out there on autophagy and injury. Plenty of anecdotes out there as far as fasting helping with injury healing, but struggling to find any actual science that concludes that it will help. If that’s not going to work then it seems like a surplus is my best bet. Just hate to eat a surplus and not workout.

Glad I’m off work tomorrow though, I have a lot of research to do now

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Appreciate the response. I know that both of us share similar feelings on doctors. Going to do some more research on the peptides tomorrow. Will also run some more of tests. I went through tons of them a week or two ago but couldn’t get any pain at the time. As I mentioned there are no imbalances or weaknesses, and if anything my left shoulder was actually performing better than my right today on the lateral raises.

I haven’t been doing ice at all, I feel dumb for not thinking about that. Will definitely start icing it as well. Probably going to take the day off tomorrow, just wish there was more science out there on autophagy and injury. Plenty of anecdotes out there as far as fasting helping with injury healing, but struggling to find any actual science that concludes that it will help. If that’s not going to work then it seems like a surplus is my best bet. Just hate to eat a surplus and not workout.

Glad I’m off work tomorrow though, I have a lot of research to do now
Could be an impingement. No matter what it is, I would work around the problem. Hex press instead of DB bench press, Push ups instead of bench press, cables, no more arnold press (would not do them anyways), try bradford press.
Often different grip variations help. For side laterals, I recommend single armed kettle bell rises, variations in angle and a slightly leaned forward posture, should relief stress on shoulder.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with the above. There are a lot of different variations to still hit the right muscles.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’d fine a competent sports PT to help you diagnose the actual issue and give you actual actionable steps to improve.

Going around googling and guessing won’t solve the actual issue unless you have some super basic, common issue.

Don’t just rest and ice that is antiquated advice that current sports medicine wouldn’t follow.

I know you love fasting but if you have a real issue fasting isn’t going to magically make it go away.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Appreciate the advice everyone. Decided to stop being stubborn, I can’t afford to let this get worse and really just want to get back to 100%.

I managed to schedule an appointment for today at a high rated sports clinic. $229 for evaluation + first treatment session. A bit more expensive than some of the other options I found but they were able to get me in today. Hoping there’s not too much follow up involved because I hate to spend the money but I need to get healthy.

This is hard for me due to many many issues in the past with docs. Only twice in the past decade have I seeked medical assistance, once when I got a piece of glass in my eye and once when I had a large cyst I needed drained. Going to try to keep an open mind and hope for the best here! Will follow up on here about the appointment afterwards

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good news, she assured me it was indeed inflammation/tendinitis and that I am not injured. Gave me a rehab program, some of which I was doing and some that is new to me. Wants to work on pec tightness and shoulder posture. I will be going to at least one more follow up session next week. She said to take the week off from any push movements and keep any other upper body work light.

Moving forward I’m going to alternate between light and heavy days each session instead of trying to set PRs every time I workout. Not going to do any heavy days until the shoulder is better.

Sucks not lifting every day. I want to go to the gym today badly but my legs and core are still sore and the shoulder hurts a bit. Thinking it’s not the best idea to do my back and bis workout today.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No workout yesterday, got to bed early and slept 9 hours. Thinking that might have been a bit too much, feeling a bit run down today. Probably going to do abs tonight after my shoulder rehab

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My appetite has been up quite a bit the past few days, likely due to the AE. Didn’t eat as much as I wanted to yesterday since I didn’t work out and went to bed fairly early. I never get hungry until the evenings but an hour ago it kicked in big time. I’m talking ravenous hunger haha. Just killed two thirds of a 3lb rotisserie. Interested to see if this keeps up.

Got off work really early so have quite a bit of free time. Going to make some keto candied pecans today with Erythritol. Hopefully they turn out well. Forgot to update but the cookies I made the other day turned out pretty damn good.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IMG_1144.JPG

Yesterday we did a walkthrough of everything, she wanted me to wait a day (assuming because I worked shoulders the day before) but this was my first full rehab session.

Surprisingly this was a lot tougher than I expected. Took about 20 minutes and I actually worked up a bit of sweat doing this in my air conditioned bedroom. Good burn in lateral delts as well as some of my upper back muscles. No pain in the shoulder right now which is good, did hurt a bit earlier today. Upon reviewing the other notes it does say no upper body at all for a week, not sure if I misunderstood or she misspoke but I guess I will be skipping back day. From the sounds of it we will be doing an actual shoulder workout together for my next session, definitely looking forward to that haha I’m already missing the gym. Will probably hit legs again tomorrow or Saturday.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pecans turned out amazing last night, took some to work and they were actually a big hit. The glaze was just made of eryritol, cinnamon, and salt but they were honestly delicious.

Got home late and work pretty early. Tons of flexibility work today, no resistance training though. Shoulder feeling good, even after resistance band work. She has me doing a bunch of back and chest stretches as well, and I added in some next stuff on top of that. Took a bit over half an hour today. Really miss the gym already, Wednesday feels so far away. At least I’ll be able to do legs tomorrow. Hoping that after my Wednesday appointment I get the green light to get some upper body work in.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Social life prevented me from getting the leg workout in last night. Just did my rehab stuff. Solid workout today though.

Leg press cable machine
160-20
230-12
300-11
300-5
250-11

Lower back hyperextensions +25,BE

170-14
180-9
180-9
170-8 DC style stretch
130-4 sloooooow

Leg curl cable machine
140-5 ???
130-7
120-6
100-8 DC stretch

Seated calf raise ss hip thrust 75lb DB
90-20 and 17
135-17 and 14
160-9 and 12
160-10 and 12
135-15 and 11
Drop set fast reps
135-25, 90-27, 45-33

Was happy with the numbers today aside from hamstring curls. Numbers were way down there for some reason. Skipped the good mornings since they put a bit of strain on my shoulder. Taking it seriously this time though, not doing anything that bothers it at all. Loading the 75lb DB onto my waist with only my right arm was a bitch, but I got it done.

Happy to say zero discomfort in the shoulder today! Going to keep taking the rest and rehab serious though, we will see what the PT says Wednesday

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IMG_1152.JPG

Just rehab work today. Shoulder didn’t feel as good as yesterday unfortunately, a bit of discomfort. After the stretches and exercises today it does feel better though.

Keto cookies second attempt tonight. Came out MUCH better than the first. These actually taste pretty damn good. Still a work in progress, I’m very new to baking but I want to tweek this recipe until I feel like it is perfect. Next attempt I will be replacing some of the almond flour with whey, considering adding a bit of cinnamon as well.

Current macros per cookie:
Fat 17.3g
Net carbs 2.3g
Protein 4.0g

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The shoulder will probably still be up and down a bit as your work through the rehab, but it will improve, trust the process.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice! Keto cookies look good!

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Got stuck at work super late last night, didn’t get home until after 10. Did my flexibility work, smashed a rotisserie and some whey/heavy cream and got to bed.

Just wrapped up my physical therapy session today. Gave me some extra core strength/stability exercises. Got the green light to lift again! She wants me to keep doing the rehab exercises as a warm up and wants me to keep weight and volume lighter for a bit to test it out. Also only wants me to go heavy every other session for each group moving forward and to be smarter about rest days. She said she honestly doesn’t think I’ll need another session which surprised me, but said to definitely schedule one if I feel like it’s getting worse.

Pretty damn excited!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Got stuck at work super late last night, didn’t get home until after 10. Did my flexibility work, smashed a rotisserie and some whey/heavy cream and got to bed.

Just wrapped up my physical therapy session today. Gave me some extra core strength/stability exercises. Got the green light to lift again! She wants me to keep doing the rehab exercises as a warm up and wants me to keep weight and volume lighter for a bit to test it out. Also only wants me to go heavy every other session for each group moving forward and to be smarter about rest days. She said she honestly doesn’t think I’ll need another session which surprised me, but said to definitely schedule one if I feel like it’s getting worse.

Pretty damn excited!
Sounds like you got a good PT and some good advice.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds like you got a good PT and some good advice.
Yeah I’m pretty happy with the experience tbh. Original notes she gave me said the plan was 4 sessions, so for her to not try to sell me something I don’t need is a surprise tbh. Told me to feel free to text if any questions too which is nice. Hoping for the best here and trying to decide which workout to do tonight

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Went with back today. Pretty good workout, miss the heavy weights but just happy to be back. Was so tempted to add more volume but I’m playing it safe for now. No issues with the shoulder during or after the workout so far.

Started with the rehab exercises + mobility exercises which took roughly 30 minutes

Lat pulldown cable narrow
60-13
66-16
66-15
66-14

T bar plate machine high grip
90-14
90-13
90-11

Hyperextensions +25,BW

Cable low row SS 55lb DB shrug
77-17 and 15
82-14 and 15
82-12 and 14
82-12 and 12

Cable curl ss reverse cable curl
38.5-8 and 33-5
33-7 and 27.5-7
27.5-7 and 22-7
22-9 and 16.5-9

Wrist curl overhand ss plate pinch
71.5-18
77-10
71.5-10
66-6

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Poor vegans, they don't know what they are missing.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Had a sore throat all day yesterday but no other symptoms. Didn’t bother me during my workout, had energy and was productive all day. Chalked it up to some kind of irritation. Still here today, feels a bit better but also have some congestion now. Roommate has been sick so wondering if that’s not it. Haven’t been sick in ages so hoping nothing serious.

Poor vegans, they don't know what they are missing.
Haha visited one of my best friends in LA for a week back in June. He’s a vegan, I’m damn near carnivore. Was an interesting experience for sure. Only thing we have in common as far as our diet goes is our mutual love for guacamole. I commend his dedication as it’s definitely not easy, but I could never do it myself. Wouldn’t want to anyway though.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Figured it was best to have a rest day yesterday to see how the shoulder responded and to make sure I wasn’t getting sick. Still had a bit of a sore throat and some congestion. Knocked out my mobility work and called it a night. The congestion was still an issue today but felt great aside from that. Zero issues with the shoulder since the back workout. Did chest and abs today after finishing my rehab exercises

DB Bench
30-10
40-10
50-12
50-9
45-8

Dip SS captain chair straight leg raise
13 and 10
9 and 9
9 and 10

Chest press cable machine
100-8
90-8
80-8

Rope tricep pull down SS bench crunch
44-11 and +10-12
44-8 and +10-11
33-10 and +10-10

Cable fly machine
50-17
55-14

Cut the flys a bit short because it was putting more stress on the joint than I was comfortable with. Felt pretty good for the most part though, surprisingly the tricep pulldowns were the only time I noticed anything in the shoulder. Assuming zero shoulder pain I’ll probably go out and drink tomorrow. If it’s bothering me I’m going to avoid the alcohol though and will stay in and hit legs instead

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea incline db flys sometimes i feel more on the joints rather than the pecs but I will just reduce weight if it starts to hurt my joints and work on getting the right form down to target the pecs.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Spent a bit of time today modifying my routine/split. With an added emphasis to rest, going to go with 4 days per week resistance training and 3 days rest/cardio. While most of the science on particular routines/volume/frequency is absolute ****, I’ve spent quite a bit of time the past week researching. I’m going to focus primarily on hypertrophy moving forward and not necessarily adding weight as quickly as possible to help avoid any further injuries. It seems like for this purpose, hitting each muscle group 2 times per week is going to be optimal. Plan on sticking to the same 4 day split I had for the most part, but I am adding exercises to each workout while reducing volume in order to prioritize 2x week for each muscle without overdoing it. Aside from a few of the accessory exercises, I’m going to force myself to stick to 3 working sets on each exercise. I am open to hear any kind of feedback on this. Here is a list of the exercises in no particular order.

Push 1
Chest compound
Lateral delts
Dips
Chest iso
Tricep iso
Forearm iso
Abs

Pull/legs
DL/rack pulls
Pull-up
Row
Trap iso
Biceps iso
Quad iso
Calves iso

Push 2
Shoulder compound
Dips
Lateral delts
Chest iso
Triceps iso
Forearm iso
Abs

Legs/pull
Squat/press
Pull-up/back compound
Quad iso
Ham iso
Low back iso
Rear delt iso
Glute iso
Calves iso
Traps iso
Biceps iso

Legs/pull is going to be a bitch and may get modified if I find I need to. Trying it out today so we will see. The plan here for now is to experiment with TKD for this workout only by consuming 30g of smarties immediately following my shoulder rehab work and immediately before starting my leg compound.

A bit hungover today so will also be using some stims. Hopefully this goes well!

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Legs/pull
Cable leg press machine
160-20
230-10
300-8
280-9
260-9

Narrow grip cable pull down
55-14
66-14
77-13
77-12

Hyperextension
BW warmup x8

160-11
160-7
140-8 rest-pause into 3 then a DC stretch

Rear delt cable fly machine
50-13
60-8 upper back was cramping up on these, moved on

Leg curl cable machine
140-7
120-13
120-12

Seated calf press SS Laying DB hip bridge
90-15 calf warmup
135-15 and 75-12
135-15 and 75-11
135-15 and 75-9
Calf burnout fast reps
135-34, 90-26, 45-36

Cable curl SS DB shrug
33-14 and 55-15
33-11 and 55-14
33-9 and 55-11

TKD experiment didn’t go as well as I planned. To be fair I got like 4 hours of sleep, was hungover, still dealing with congestion, and definitely had under 2k calories yesterday so I’m not super surprised to see my numbers a bit lower. Workout killed the hangover at least and I left exhausted. Cooked a 3lb chuck roast in the crock today, ate half of if along with my shake already haha.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Holy mother of volume...

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rest day today aside from flexibility/rehab work and some neck exercises. Shoulder has felt fantastic for a few days now! “Push 2” will be my workout tomorrow and will be doing “pull/legs” on Wednesday with Thursday being the next rest day.

Holy mother of volume...
Haha in terms of number of working sets it’s not too far above what I’ve been doing, just a lot more exercises. Clocked in just under 2 hours which is about normal for one of my leg days. Don’t really feel super accomplished if I’m not leaving exhausted! Feeling beat today for sure but I love it. As long as I feel like I’m recovering fine I’d like to keep the volume like this so we will see.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yesterday’s workout went well. Took HGP’s advice and only doing standing shoulder presses for the time being. Stopped them at the slightest sign of form failure to be safe, probably could have pushed out a few more reps. Felt kind of weak on these but they are definitely tougher than seated.

Push 2

Standing DB shoulder press
25-10 warmup
30-10 warmup
32.5-10
32.5-8
30-9

Dips BW

Chest press cable machine wide grip slow shorter ROM
90-10
90-9
80-10

One arm cable lateral raise
16.5-8
16.5-8
16.5-6
This is the lightest this machine goes unfortunately. Couldn’t get too many reps before form failure so decided to add some extra lateral delt work

Lateral raise machine
20-25
30-24
35-16

Reverse grip tricep bar pulldown SS barbell reverse grip curl
44-13 and 30-18
38-11 and 30-16
33-12 and 30-13
Switch to palms down tricep pushdown
33-16 and 30-11
33-14 and 30-11

Bench crunch +12.5 SS cable wrist curl overhand
13 and 77-19
11 and 77-16
11 and 77-12
8 and 77-11

Pretty good workout all around. Forearms were crushed. Heading in for Pull/legs later today, first time doing deadlifts in awhile so I’m pretty excited for that!

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pull/legs

DL
135-5
135-8
135-10
This didn’t go as well as I had hoped. Was having a really hard time with form, couldn’t seem to keep my upper back and shoulders from rounding at all. My hips suck but have gotten a lot better the past few months, but I can’t seem to get into a position to grip the bar without rounding my upper back. Anything I do to keep it straight seems to prevent me from reaching the bar.

DB one arm row
25-10 warmup
35-10 warmup
40-13
42.5-12
42.5-11

Hyperextension +25,BW

Cable lat pulldowns wider
55-16 warmup
66-15
71-12
71-10

Barbell hip thrust SS DB shrug
80-12 and 60-10
80-10 and 60-10
80-10 and 60-11
Grip was giving out before my traps on the shrugs. Not super surprising considering the forearm workout yesterday but I feel like I need to do more to increase grip strength.

Seated straight leg calf press cable machine
200-22
240-18
240-14
240-13
200-17

Cable preacher curl SS 45lb plate shrug
40-12 and 19
40-8 and 18
35-8 and 16
30-10 and 17

Not a bad workout aside from the deadlifts, though I will say by the end I was way more gassed than normal. I usually don’t want to leave, but by the end today I was definitely ready to go. Briefly considered a carb refeed day, but I don’t want to do that just yet.

If anyone has any advice for the deadlift situation I would greatly appreciate it. Haven’t done them in years but I used to do them all the time and had no issues. Probably need to fix my posture a bit more

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just asking, no mean intention: Deadlift and lat pulldown looks weak in comparison to other exercises, is it injury related -or are those numbers kilogram?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Probably easier if you had a video or something can be a bit tough to pinpoint things just from a rundown.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Probably easier if you had a video or something can be a bit tough to pinpoint things just from a rundown.
Agreed with this as well. Video would make it easier to picture it.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just asking, no mean intention: Deadlift and lat pulldown looks weak in comparison to other exercises, is it injury related -or are those numbers kilogram?
Deadlift I want to get form right before loading weight up. All of that was pretty effortless I just couldn’t keep shoulders back. I do feel like my lats are a weak point for sure though. No back injury or anything

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deadlift I want to get form right before loading weight up. All of that was pretty effortless I just couldn’t keep shoulders back. I do feel like my lats are a weak point for sure though. No back injury or anything
Form is everything, especially for DL. How much do you weight, I have missed that stat.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Form is everything, especially for DL. How much do you weight, I have missed that stat.
5’8 150

Working on fixing apt and rounded upper back/shoulder posture. I know both of these are working against me but I was really looking forward to adding DL back into my routine. This was the first time I’ve attempted it in years but didn’t have form issues in the past

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5’8 150

Working on fixing apt and rounded upper back/shoulder posture. I know both of these are working against me but I was really looking forward to adding DL back into my routine. This was the first time I’ve attempted it in years but didn’t have form issues in the past
Ah, I see. You are on the lighter side of the spectrum. I did DL for the first 2 years of training religiously, it helps with overall strength, no doubt. Getting older, I do DL with moderate weights, high rep -but still doing it.
Depending on what your goal is, DL is not needed for bodybuilding -unless you want to be strong too.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ah, I see. You are on the lighter side of the spectrum. I did DL for the first 2 years of training religiously, it helps with overall strength, no doubt. Getting older, I do DL with moderate weights, high rep -but still doing it.
Depending on what your goal is, DL is not needed for bodybuilding -unless you want to be strong too.
Size is my priority but I do care about strength as well. While I always hated squats, I used to love deadlifting. Going to be patient if I have to though, going to figure out what all I need to work on to get my form right. I know my lats are lagging so that will be a big focus along with the posture stuff

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The amount of food you're allowed to eat makes me jealous. Trying to get big is way easier than the other way around! LOL