Answered Question about protein consumption and muscle synthesis?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I understand that muscle protein synthesis will start in the presence of protein. But does the speed of synthesis get affected by the presence of fat and carbohydrates along with the protein? For example, would I elicit a better protein synthesis environment if I consume just a protein isolate shake vs a blend of protein, carbs, and fat?

Thanks.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I understand that muscle protein synthesis will start in the presence of protein. But does the speed of synthesis get affected by the presence of fat and carbohydrates along with the protein? For example, would I elicit a better protein synthesis environment if I consume just a protein isolate shake vs a blend of protein, carbs, and fat?

Thanks.
No, the addition of other macronutrients will not negatively impair protein synthesis. Some carbs with protein would be beneficial for protein synthesis. You do have to make sure you consume a complete protein source, and at a high enough amount to trigger mTOR and protein synthesis. About 3g of leucine being present. Why I always get at least 50g of protein per meal.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No, the addition of other macronutrients will not negatively impair protein synthesis. Some carbs with protein would be beneficial for protein synthesis. You do have to make sure you consume a complete protein source, and at a high enough amount to trigger mTOR and protein synthesis. About 3g of leucine being present. Why I always get at least 50g of protein per meal.
Thanks for the reply. So does that mean I can just consume at least 3g of leucine per meal to keep protein synthesis signal on? I'm asking in reference to cutting where I can reduce overall calories but supplement with a heavy dose of leucine to still keep protein synthesis up and running.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks for the reply. So does that mean I can just consume at least 3g of leucine per meal to keep protein synthesis signal on? I'm asking in reference to cutting where I can reduce overall calories but supplement with a heavy dose of leucine to still keep protein synthesis up and running.
I saw this leucine seminar where the phd was claiming about 1.5 to 2 hours after your meal, take 3g of leucine, alone, or with 20g high glycemic carb (some table sugar), to maintain protein synthesis longer.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The seminar is split up into multiple videos, so start there, use that as a reference to find the other ones.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I saw this leucine seminar where the phd was claiming about 1.5 to 2 hours after your meal, take 3g of leucine, alone, or with 20g high glycemic carb (some table sugar), to maintain protein synthesis longer.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks guys for the resources. I'll check them out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 4
Supplements 27
MistrJay Supplements 10
Supplements 19
DWeaver Supplements 23