Pscychiatrist appt soon...want to get most out of it

indianballer

indianballer

Awards
  • Established
So I've been seeing a psychologist for a few weeks and by her advice I scheduled an appt with an MD who she suggested was "good with medication".

My question is what have your guys' experiences been with docs and what are the best ways to deal with them without seeming "drug seeking". Not that those are my intentions, I've just tried every antidepressant under the sun as well as Buspar and I think I know that I need something a little stronger. I'm also torn on whether or not to reveal past experimentation with recreational drugs or not.

What does everyone suggest my intentions be for a first appt. with a prescribing psychiatrist?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Let them diagnose you instead of thinking you know what you need before you get there. They're the professional.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
So I've been seeing a psychologist for a few weeks and by her advice I scheduled an appt with an MD who she suggested was "good with medication".

My question is what have your guys' experiences been with docs and what are the best ways to deal with them without seeming "drug seeking". Not that those are my intentions, I've just tried every antidepressant under the sun as well as Buspar and I think I know that I need something a little stronger. I'm also torn on whether or not to reveal past experimentation with recreational drugs or not.

What does everyone suggest my intentions be for a first appt. with a prescribing psychiatrist?
reveal as much as you can, including prior drug use. psychiatrists are there to help, and to find what's best for you. they're only going to prescribe antidepressants and/or anti-anxiety meds. the more clear you are on prior useage helps them better diagnose what's best for you.

you may have a past history with a med that will be prescribed to you, which may lead you to relapsing. IMO.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
a lot of my family is depressed. and the anti depressants never really were a long term fix. but the anti anxiety meds seem to be helping a lot of them much more than the anti depressants even though none of them seem anxious or were diagnosed with anxiety. Just my personal experience with it. Also, i took prozac for a couple months. it made me feel really happy but when i got off it i got super sad for about a week or so. I am diagnosed with depression but im scared to take meds due to my history with addiction.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
do not tell them you do or have ever abused illegal drugs ..also do not tell them you have used prescription drugs for recreational purposes in the past

jsm1289

Awards
i mean, be completely honest, it sounds like your unsure as to what your goal in there is. Is it to get the best drugs possible? in which case look up the symptoms that are needed to be prescribed benzodiazapines, cause they are the ****, pretty addictive though. They make you feel awesome, plain and simple. If you looking to the forums for advice as to which drug will cure which symptoms you have, you can easily find that on webmd. Never ever ask them outright for a specific drug, ESPECIALLY CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES, cause once they hear even a sliver of drug seeking behavior the book is closed on the good **** forever. Be honest with your symptoms but don't reveal your drug past if it is extensive, tell them what you've been on in the past and how it has worked for you and basically why you are here, what intensification of what symptom has caused you to go from a psychologist to a psychiatrist.

avenue Red

Awards
Let them ask you questions and just answer them. they will prescribe you what they think is best but only you know what is going on in your head. if you are depressed explain it. if you cant concentrate explain that.

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
dont tell them about recreational drug use, it closes alot of options trust me

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
dont tell them about recreational drug use, it closes alot of options trust me

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)
i second that

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
screw what everyone says. just stick to knockin back a couple beers and smokin weed. i just got out of rehab and I did that same thing back in my addiction and now if I could go back in time and not abuse prescription drugs I would in a heartbeat. it half-way ruined my LIFE... THESE DRUGS ARE PRESCRIPTION FOR A REASON. they're horribly addictive and could be deadly. i don't mean to sound like your mommy i'm just trying to give you a fair warning...

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
they are hard to fool so lie all you want. a good one will see right thru you. i say be honest because this is someone you want to trust you and someone you need to trust in return. psych meds are scary $hit and nothing to play around with. good luck anyway.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
good luck getting some zannie bars of valiume

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
good luck getting some zannie bars of valiume
Technically we can get all those on the outside. I know its not hard round here.

I would say though stay away from anything that effects your mind...

I spend my childhood on ritalin, or whatnot as well as a few other drugs. I dont take medicine anymore, save unless I am in dire pain....It left a few mental scars, as well as ticks and some OCD I had to conquer myself, and did.

If you are seeing one, have them help you set up a mind webbing as I call it. Structure your mind, build it up layer by layer, until it is stronger. Screw popping a pill to feel better.

I have been to a psychologist. And on my own, learned to face my own psyche. Do that, and no psychologist will ever be of use again. Many times people are pushed into depression because of society.

They are 200K in debt making 30K a year.
They are waaay overweight.
They are blind.
They have a scar across their face.
They feel like an outcast.
etc
etc
etc.

But all of those are bad in comparison to what is the norm, what our society demands to be accepted. First things first, move above society. Find a realm that fits you, a style that explains you, and a story you want to be a part of. You stick me in an office chair, tell me to work 9-5 and you will piss me off. I cant do that crap.

Identify what it is that's dragging you down to that point, and do away with the pre-programmed reasoning our country gives us.

You either blaze your own trail, or follow in the blaze of the trails of others. I dont follow well -.-

I still get depressed/angry....they have their places in reminding us we are still human.

MikeMagz1013

Awards
Its very easy to get pills. Psychiatrists are just legal drug dealers, nothing more really. "Oh you got a problem sleeping, here take this." Get the kid hooked on Xanax, yeah thats how ya deal with it! Take this advice to the heart, don't get into antidepressants or anxiety meds WITHOUT have a great knowledge of them. Many, like Xanax, have strong addictive properties and in the wrong hands could be a lifetime problem.

If you really need to go that route though, just keep it short term man. Realize that these won't help you or cure you, they help you get through the day. And sometimes we need that. We need to learn to get through the day without being stressed/worried/anxious/depressed, but theres NOTHING worse than an addiction to a substance like Xanax or Valium. Keep it short term and understand that the government isn't out to help you, they're in it to collect your money, and ultimately get you hooked on substances in your lifetime. Don't believe it? Explain why there's a liquor store on every corner of every inner city neighborhood. The government needs to get people hooked and keep the vicious cycle going

I'm an ex pothead and one thing that I can say that marijuana did for me was open my eyes to the world.

And anyone who tells you that shrinks are going to help you in the long run is either downright stupid or just plain ignorant to the fact that our own government truly does not give a **** about us.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established

not too sure if you guys all know this, but any antidepressant mixed with the stuff we all take is a recipe for disaster, if you go on ssri s brother, the supplement game is over for you, or if your smart it is. Not just PH or DS but the pre workout caffeine mixes are a no go as well, the 2 DO NOT MIX!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Its the problem today man, its all about magic pills...

Mars1107

i think people overestimate the addictiveness of xanax and benzopedines.

someone mentioned alcohol, trust me, thats much worse than some xanax for anxiety or to help you sleep.

ive been taken 1mg of clonazapan for over a year, with no need to increase dosage, and it still works.

Mars1107

"Alprazolam, like other benzodiazepines, binds to specific sites on the GABAA gamma-amino-butyric acid receptor. When bound to these sites, which are referred to as benzodiazepine receptors, it modulates the effect of GABA A receptors and, thus, GABAnergic neurons. Long-term use causes adaptive changes in the benzodiazepine receptors, making them less sensitive to stimulation and less powerful in their effects.[62]

Not all withdrawal effects are evidence of true dependence or withdrawal. Recurrence of symptoms such as anxiety may simply indicate that the drug was having its expected anti-anxiety effect and that, in the absence of the drug, the symptom has returned to pretreatment levels. If the symptoms are more severe or frequent, the patient may be experiencing a rebound effect due to the removal of the drug. Either of these can occur without the patient's actually being drug-dependent.[62]

Alprazolam and other benzodiazepines may also cause the development of physical dependence, tolerance, and benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms during rapid dose reduction or cessation of therapy after long-term treatment.[63][64] There is a higher chance of withdrawal reactions if the drug is administered in a higher dosage than recommended, or if a patient stops taking the medication altogether without slowly allowing the body to adjust to a lower-dosage regimen.[65][66][67]

In 1992, Romach and colleagues reported that dose escalation is not a characteristic of long-term alprazolam users, and the majority of patients indicated that alprazolam continued to be effective, suggesting that tolerance to the anti-anxiety effect is limited.[68]

If a patient feels the need to end treatment with alprazolam, he/she should consult his/her physician before discontinuing the medication. Some common symptoms of alprazolam discontinuation include tachycardia, dysphoria, dry mouth, loss of appetite, insomnia, anxiety, dizziness, tremors, nausea, cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, panic attacks, mood swings, heart palpitations, memory loss. Less common and more severe reactions can occur, including hallucinations, seizures or fever[69]

Patients taking a dosing regimen larger than 4 mg per day have an increased potential for dependence. This medication may cause withdrawal symptoms upon abrupt withdrawal or rapid tapering, which in some cases have been known to cause seizures. The discontinuation of this medication may also cause a reaction called rebound anxiety. Other withdrawal effects reported from discontinuing alprazolam therapy include homicidal ideation (very rare), rage reactions, hyperalertness, vivid dreams, and intrusive thoughts.[70] Grand mal seizures have occurred after abrupt withdrawal after only short-term use. Therefore, even short-term users of alprazolam should taper off of their medication slowly to avoid serious withdrawal reactions including seizures.[71][72]

Alprazolam should never be abruptly stopped if taken regularly for any length of time because severe withdrawal symptoms may occur. Severe psychosis and seizures have been reported in the medical literature from abrupt alprazolam discontinuation,[73][74] and one death occurred from withdrawal-related seizures after gradual dose reduction.[74]

In a 1983 study of patients that had taken long-acting benzodiazepines, e.g., clorazepate, for extended periods, the medications were stopped abruptly under double-blind conditions (that is, patients were receiving either placebo or the same drug they had been taking). Only 5% of patients that had been taking the drug for less than 8 months demonstrated withdrawal symptoms, but 43% of those that had been taking them for more than 8 months did, whereas, with alprazolam - a short-acting benzodiazepine - taken for 8 weeks, 35% of patients experienced significant rebound anxiety. To some degree, these older benzodiazepines are self-tapering.[75]

The benzodiazepines diazepam (Valium) and oxazepam (Serepax) have been found to produce fewer withdrawal reactions than alprazolam (Xanax) or lorazepam (Temesta/Ativan). Factors that determine the risk of psychological dependence or physical dependence and the severity of the benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms experienced during dose reduction of alprazolam include: dosage used, length of use, frequency of dosing, personality characteristics of the individual, previous use of cross-dependent/cross-tolerant drugs (alcohol or other sedative-hypnotic drugs), current use of cross-dependent/cross-tolerant drugs (alcohol or other sedative-hypnotic drugs), use of other short-acting, high-potency benzodiazepines[8][76] and method of discontinuation."

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Technically we can get all those on the outside. I know its not hard round here.

I would say though stay away from anything that effects your mind...

I spend my childhood on ritalin, or whatnot as well as a few other drugs. I dont take medicine anymore, save unless I am in dire pain....It left a few mental scars, as well as ticks and some OCD I had to conquer myself, and did.

If you are seeing one, have them help you set up a mind webbing as I call it. Structure your mind, build it up layer by layer, until it is stronger. Screw popping a pill to feel better.

I have been to a psychologist. And on my own, learned to face my own psyche. Do that, and no psychologist will ever be of use again. Many times people are pushed into depression because of society.

They are 200K in debt making 30K a year.
They are waaay overweight.
They are blind.
They have a scar across their face.
They feel like an outcast.
etc
etc
etc.

But all of those are bad in comparison to what is the norm, what our society demands to be accepted. First things first, move above society. Find a realm that fits you, a style that explains you, and a story you want to be a part of. You stick me in an office chair, tell me to work 9-5 and you will piss me off. I cant do that crap.

Identify what it is that's dragging you down to that point, and do away with the pre-programmed reasoning our country gives us.

You either blaze your own trail, or follow in the blaze of the trails of others. I dont follow well -.-

I still get depressed/angry....they have their places in reminding us we are still human.
well put zero, I feel the same way about alot of my past and had a whole lot of mental problems to conquer, I swear to anyone though, no pill will make you feel as good as exercise.. Period.. I understand some cases are more severe as I myself learned once as well, but before docs give out meds they should give out free 1 week passes to a gym to see if that works better. In my opinion, in the mild cases its better than meds.

just my .02

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
well put zero, I feel the same way about alot of my past and had a whole lot of mental problems to conquer, I swear to anyone though, no pill will make you feel as good as exercise.. Period.. I understand some cases are more severe as I myself learned once as well, but before docs give out meds they should give out free 1 week passes to a gym to see if that works better. In my opinion, in the mild cases its better than meds.

just my .02
Well for alot of people a week pass wouldn't be enough. But maybe a way for insurance to cover it as a means of therapy....that would be pretty neat.

I myself get confidence and better emotional well being from pushing it in the gym until my body shuts me down lol. Most people would be suprised how great you would start to feel after something simple like 3 months of cardio @ 20 minutes a day and at least a light weight training regime.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Dude, find what it is and get rid of it. "IT" is causing biochemical changes in your brain that your body cant keep up with. You get rid of "IT" through talk therapy about 3 years worth. If a psychologist is directing you to an MD they already may have some idea of what meds you should be on, probably an antidepressant and a tranq, go for the lowest dose they will prescribe and stay with it for at least a year. Do not use other drugs, including alcohol and keep your Psych. appointments. If you keep your med doses low there is little risk of addiction. JMO Oh, and if you are going to see a Doctor for psychotropic meds you are "drug seeking" and they know it.

toiletflush

Awards
Dude, find what it is and get rid of it. "IT" is causing biochemical changes in your brain that your body cant keep up with. You get rid of "IT" through talk therapy about 3 years worth. If a psychologist is directing you to an MD they already may have some idea of what meds you should be on, probably an antidepressant and a tranq, go for the lowest dose they will prescribe and stay with it for at least a year. Do not use other drugs, including alcohol and keep your Psych. appointments. If you keep your med doses low there is little risk of addiction. JMO Oh, and if you are going to see a Doctor for psychotropic meds you are "drug seeking" and they know it.
so you're reccomending he take a tranquilizer too? odds are he will get somewhat addicted to one of them-which plays right into the psychiatrists' hands. don't see a psychiatrist unless you want to make yourself an atm machine.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look, I realize many of you do not trust psychiatrist/psychologists etc, but as someone who is in the medical field and has seen, been on both sides of the story, it saddens me greatly when I see young people out there struggling with issues who have various forms of mental disorders and they are to afraid too be open and seek help. I've seen quite a few spiral down because of it. Albeit, I'm not saying medication is the absolute answer for everyone, but if it is needed and not used there could be serious consequences. There are tons of various forms of therapy and it quite often takes along time to get the right path nailed down. After all, the human mind and the therapy there of is quite complicated and just as variant. I've said it before, when were physically ill like an infection we take antibiotics, if we have athlete's foot we use anti-fungals, if we want to get big we take supps, if we are ill with our minds is it that hard to accept that we made need to take something for it? I see people self medicating themselves left and fuking right on this board. Gaba this, superdrol that, ghrp, htp-5, levothyroxine (<-T4 aka fuking synthroid) blah, blah, blah. There is such an irrational fear that it becomes sad because a lot of people out there whom truly need the help, which ever it be do not seek it. My advice, if you feel you need to see the doc, then see him. Be honest, even about recreational drug use before (I'll explain this later). Establish a trust base and an open rapport. It will give the therapist more to work with and allow him to make more accurate decisions and quite possibly help quicken the path to the right treatment. The reason why I believe honesty in the drug use area is a must is simple. Therapist's know the difference between some young kid experimenting with recreational drugs and true addictions. Yes it is true that, that kind of particular information disclosed can change the therapist's choice of medication and treatments. If the therapist suspects an addiction (and no they do not just assume everyone has an addiction) they may not want to prescribe something that can be addicting and further harming the patient. Also, remember we are free to ask all the questions we like, get explanations, and ask for a second opinion if you do not feel comfortable with the answers or explanations. It's the responsible thing to do. I'm sure there are many out there whom have had issues of there own and were able to overcome them on their own, who feel everything can be handled from within, good for you, but your problems and method are not someone else's. I'm sure there are people out there who have had bad experiences with therapists, I sympathize, but there are people out there who have had allergic reactions to certain vaccines, but that doesn't mean no one else should be vaccinated if it could help them.

Just felt I needed throw my thoughts out there.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well for alot of people a week pass wouldn't be enough. But maybe a way for insurance to cover it as a means of therapy....that would be pretty neat.

I myself get confidence and better emotional well being from pushing it in the gym until my body shuts me down lol. Most people would be suprised how great you would start to feel after something simple like 3 months of cardio @ 20 minutes a day and at least a light weight training regime.
Some have problems that going to the gym, having a hot chick, etc won't solve. And your right, a week wouldn't be enough. Many meds need to be taken for like 14 days before they build up in the system and kick in.

Mars1107

you can find any "study" to support want you want it to support. justifying your use of an anti-anxiety drug on a supplement message board is reckless and you may be able to trick people into thinking that this stuff isn't harmful. ruin yourself but don't ruin anybody else
uh okay, im not supporting my addiction. Its a freaking medicine prescribed by my doctor. Im not trying to justify my use, when the hell i say that.

Shure i rather not take any medications, but i need it. Simple. Some people need it. Simple.

And yeah i believe the stuff isnt harmful if used in the proper medical environment.

Were not talking about people taking recreational doses to get some sort of high.

Anti-anxiety drugs are miracles for lots of people. Yeah its up to you if want to suffer, or take the risks and side effects.

You drink alcohol? thats exactly what alcohol is, an anti-anxiety drug, that works on gaba receptors. And that is, for fact more dangerous than most classical anti-anxiety drugs, aka benzopadienes.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Benzos are far less dangerous than booze, when taken in the proper manner. The addiction potential is dose dependant, ie the less you take the safer you are. Most people get bored with the whole neurosis thing and taking meds. Eventually a person doesnt need meds except on occasion (unless they are really psychotic) I dont think the OP is talking about a psychosis.

indianballer

indianballer

Awards
  • Established
Why is fitness not working for you? What's wrong?
I'm not sure what that means? But the whole fitness thing doesn't cure mental disorders. Sure I get the same endorphin rush after a jog or a workout, but that doesn't even come close to masking the crippling anxiety I feel walking from machine to machine in the gym.

Anyways, since this thread is still going and I started it forever ago...I'll give anyone who's interested the run-down on the past month.

first appt: give him my story and he wants to try cymbalta
next 2 weeks are hell...can't eat, throwing up during workouts, HELL

next appt: I explain all this to him and he says nausea is a normal reaction and it will go away as my body adjusts

next appt: I tell him the nausea is gona but I feel so tired all the time that I'd rather go back to no medication...this is when he suggested clonazepam...started at .25mg 2X a day and have since moved up to .5mg 2X a day and it has helped more than any of the SSRI's and I've been on them all

it doesn't completely erradicate my anxieties as opiates, xanax, and valium did when I was self-medicating, but it has taken a little bit of the edge off and the rest I'm willing to work on in therapy.

I haven't COMPLETELY lost my faith in the american psychiatric system just yet.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Chemical dependancy is a beast to get over! I've been on oxycontin for over 3 years and am trying to get off just because of how bad it truly is for your body. I am on it for legitimate reasonas but the side effects are horrible while detoxing. I've missed work, my sons ballgames, and anything else that fell into my way. I've since relapsed due to missing work and bieng to weak to fight the temptations I guess. If you can avoid the meds do so!

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
indianballer if i was u i wouldnt plan on using klonopin longterm. i used it for along time amongst other things that werent prescribed but thats a diff story. anyway the withdrawals are the worst thing on earth its indescribable ive detoxed from coke, oxy, and meth and clonazepam was by far the worst. check this website out when you have a chance http://www.benzo.org.uk/pha-1.htm

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Chemical dependancy is a beast to get over! I've been on oxycontin for over 3 years and am trying to get off
hey, tell your doctor what you're doing. tell him you need 40mg of diazepam for 2 weeks, 20mg diazepam for 2 more weeks, then quit diazepam cold turkey. this will ensure that the mental aspect of dependency on opiates is subdued. then after the month, you quit the diazepam. its considered the safest way to come off opiates (i have a ton of doctor friends - two psychiatrists who swear this is the best way (in the US) to do this. if you're going to europe anytime soon, ibogaine works better, but highly illegal outside of a select few countries.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Pass. I don't know enough to comment - in fact I have not experience. All I can say is do not attempt to manipulate them at all. Do not condescend to them or try and hide anything. Be yourself and be completely sincere and truthful - that is extremely important.

I've looked into some of the online chats between these guys and all I can say is ... scary. The lack of consensus and variation in approaches for really strong drugs I don't like one bit - in fact I hate it. In fact conference surveys support this...

Mention the word 'MAOIs' as a last resort. Don't use any anabolic stuff if they put you on MAOIs - I've no idea what you should expect but if you mess up they can be fatal. They'll might try a combination therapy first (lets hope).

indianballer

indianballer

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate your guys' input...sincerely...this is something that is extremely difficult for me to communicate to my peers face to face, so getting feedback on here is awesome. I understand that dependence is a bitch and withdrawals are a necessary evil when it gets to that point, but I've tried the natural med-free way more times than I can count and I always end up in the same anxious, depressed, and flat out non-functional state. I initially hated the idea of trying Zoloft, which was the first psychotropic med I was ever prescribed, and it was a NIGHTMARE. I can never tell if I feel worse on SSRI's or off, but one thing is clear, they don't help. I've tried em all (including Effexor and Cymbalta, which are SNRI's). I really feel the clonazepam has helped me to get back to being myself for the time being. I don't particularly like the idea of being on a benzo for the rest of my life, but when I weigh it against the feelings and moods I tend to have when on no medication, it seems well worth it. My only concern at this point is the cognitive and memory effects it might have. With school starting back up in a month, I can't afford to let my GPA slip any more than it already has. I've always had trouble concentrating for extended periods of time, but I've done outstanding on all my standardized tests throughout school and got a 30 on my ACT so I know I have the potential. I'm really considering talking to my doc about ADD meds my next appt. If he's not keen on prescribing 2 controlled substances to a young guy with a little bit of experimentation history, I may suggest something like Wellbutrin. I know it acts on the same receptors, so maybe it could be of some benefit? I really think some type of stimulant would have me completely back on my feet, because I'm still struggling with motivation and anxiety induced racing thoughts, which affects my concentration, but then part of me thinks that's just a flat out drug-seeking though process. It's hard to draw the line between what improves one's quality of life and what gets one "high".

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Im on these meds due to an injury in the military where I was told that surgery was my only option. I had surgery at the Naval Medical Center on Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, I have since got the feeling that military hospitals are more like meat markets! LOL

I went to my Doc last night, we discussed myself coming off the meds the safe way. He says that there is a new med. that he has only perscribed one time that he thinks I would be a good canadite for. It has Oxycodone like painkilling effects and a minor mood enhancer so you feel like you have taken an opiate but it actually has no opiates in it. The problem would be detoxing. I have 17 days vacation coming up and we are going to see if we can plan all these into my days off so I dont have to be detoxing while at work. Good luck with your situation bro, you are the only one who turly knows how much you need to feel "right". Just dont think that taking the meds has two benefits, one you pain relief and two, getting a little crooked for " Just taking perscribed meds"! That is when you will become emotionally and physically dependant. TRUST ME!

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate your guys' input...sincerely...this is something that is extremely difficult for me to communicate to my peers face to face, so getting feedback on here is awesome. I understand that dependence is a bitch and withdrawals are a necessary evil when it gets to that point, but I've tried the natural med-free way more times than I can count and I always end up in the same anxious, depressed, and flat out non-functional state. I initially hated the idea of trying Zoloft, which was the first psychotropic med I was ever prescribed, and it was a NIGHTMARE. I can never tell if I feel worse on SSRI's or off, but one thing is clear, they don't help. I've tried em all (including Effexor and Cymbalta, which are SNRI's). I really feel the clonazepam has helped me to get back to being myself for the time being. I don't particularly like the idea of being on a benzo for the rest of my life, but when I weigh it against the feelings and moods I tend to have when on no medication, it seems well worth it. My only concern at this point is the cognitive and memory effects it might have. With school starting back up in a month, I can't afford to let my GPA slip any more than it already has. I've always had trouble concentrating for extended periods of time, but I've done outstanding on all my standardized tests throughout school and got a 30 on my ACT so I know I have the potential. I'm really considering talking to my doc about ADD meds my next appt. If he's not keen on prescribing 2 controlled substances to a young guy with a little bit of experimentation history, I may suggest something like Wellbutrin. I know it acts on the same receptors, so maybe it could be of some benefit? I really think some type of stimulant would have me completely back on my feet, because I'm still struggling with motivation and anxiety induced racing thoughts, which affects my concentration, but then part of me thinks that's just a flat out drug-seeking though process. It's hard to draw the line between what improves one's quality of life and what gets one "high".
trust me if you truly have anxiety an add medication like adderall, or straterra, or any of the like it will only increase your anxiety. ive been there and im also studying pharmacology. anxiety increases with the use of any stimulant just about anyone knows that. but ive been were youve been and it sucks but the thing about benzos is they make you feel like a million bucks for awhilebut then you realize youre not getting the same effect anymore so you think hey im more anxious my anxiety is worse so the doc goes ok heres a higher dosage and it will just keep on going until you have reached the most you can get prescribed and then tolerance withdrawal kicks in and you have to take the klonopin just so youre not sick, just like oxy withdrawal you have to take oxy to avoid feeling like **** and throwing up and having ahces and pains and headaches and the list goes on. my point is if the meds help you then good but theyre not meant to be long term and you do have to decide whether you just like feeling a little buzz everyday or if its really helping the quality of your life. and if you still think you need medication for focus and whatnot try something like modanfinil if your doc will prescribe it off label. its not an amphetamine or derivative like the other add meds so you wont have the problem with increased anxiety.

theyoungblood

Banned
Awards
I have no experience with addiction, behavoral or personality illness. I have people in my life that say holding back from your psych can impede your treatment. Yes, opening up certain information can affect being able to obtain or keep military or govt jobs. But decide what you want long term. Effective treatment or the possibility for "maybe" obtaining a lifestyle restricted type of job sometime later in life. Sometimes when the conditions are severe enough and the treatment is not based on psych knowing all that is needed people never have a chance at improving quality of life or live long enough to think about a long term career or other goals. Others will not be able to maintain that dream job after they are hired. I know of someone that was on prescription meds and mixed with recreational items. This almost killed them. Be careful.

Just saying my opinion from what I have been "told". Good luck!

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
I see people self medicating themselves ... on this board. Gaba this, superdrol that, ghrp, htp-5, levothyroxine
This is funny. Sure we are all aware of the danger of PH. That aside the OTC market even in the US is pretty tightly regulated. Most 5HTP never gets into the brain it converts to serotonin before it gets there: if you double this with Carbidopa ... could overload and die, which is why this stuff ain't available OTC. GABA can't get into the brain. If you use ECGC on the back of Ldopa it might increase dopamine production a bit but it ain't Sinemet. Yohimbine is useful and pretty potent but its an antagonist.

My advice, if you feel you need to see the doc, then see him......Just felt I needed throw my thoughts out there.
Its fair point but Zero and Searl have a fair point as well that gym/work out/lifting/cardio is good for all sorts of reasons.

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
I would say it's important to tell them about any previous drug use. They're not there to arrest you and my girlfriend got addicted to her xanax medication, but she was abusing it. They will help you deal with drug use and prescribe the correct medication when they think you are ready, I do however think it's important not to depend on drugs to help you with depression, the power of the mind can go a long way...
I know people who take over 6 medications for depression,anxiety etc. Hasn't helped them out one bit.
****ing with your body's chemical balances should only be considered after a lot of careful consideration and research. Tell your doctor everything and they will help you out.

StimAthelete

Awards

To start off, a short background of me:
I have quite a bit of experience with both therapists/psychologists and psychiatrists. I have been going to a psychologist on and off for the last two years, but they never did much for me. After the first couple months, I was prescribed the SSRI Prozac. In my personal experience, PROZAC is a magical pill. It is pretty much non-addictive, smooth to go on and come off of, and I had very few/no side effects. After working up to 40mg/day for a bit over a year, I came off of it. What prozac did for me, aside from the initial mood boost - my depression was half clinical (hence the magic of a serotonin reuptake inhibitor for someone like me) - was ALLOW ME TO SEE outside of the walls of my depression.

On to your question:
Let him know of your past clinical prescriptions and which ones didn't work for you. I, personally, wouldn't mention recreational use, especially if you are hoping to get a stronger drug that you think will work for you. Yes, he/she is a licenced drug-prescriber, but YOU know what you need so long as you aren't lying to yourself (which it doesn't sound like you are). You should have a two way street with your psychiatrist; tell him what you think and how you are feeling, and consider his trained medical advice.

Best of luck to you.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Im on Wellbutrin 300mg daily for poor concentration and i havent noticed a difference after 2 months takeing it. I know it takes afew months to start working but my grades ar falling every semester. The only thing i have had success with in this department is smokeing marijuana. I stay focused and my mind doesnt wonder...but its something i wont tell my doctor about because i dont want him to think im a drug abuser. I really dont want to be on hard mind f**k meds my whole life so im stuck between a rock and a hard place. In other words, i feel all you guys' pain. It sucks.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt mention rec drugs unless asked. They know people get high, and will be able to tell if your an addict. I would tell them about previous meds that didnt work or caused sides. Benzos and SSRI's are the most effective combos, although Benzos can be addictive if high doses are used. SSRI's help attenuate that. Find out what is the source of your problems and talk about it till its gone! Best of luck to you! It doesnt have to be this way forever and if you determine to get better, you will!

spimp187

Awards
Hey man, did you ever start that test/anadrol/epi cycle that you posted up a while back? Just wondering if that might be contributing to your problems. Also, did you start experiencing depression/anxiety before or after you started running pro-hormones? Just curious because when you are shut down you can experience depression/anxiety as well as panic attacks. Have you had any blood work done recently?