Protien content of Egg Whites

mildain

Awards
It is to my understanding that the egg white contains all the protien while the yolk contains the fat. So since 1 whole egg contains approx. 6g protien, removing the yolk should just subtract the fat and cholesterol, while keeping the protien.

I looked up the nutritional value of egg whites on various nutritional indexes and they list egg whites as containing only 3.3 g of protien. While whole eggs contain 6g protien?

Is this correct?

I'm a bit confused :confused: I always thought the egg white contained all the protien.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The white of a large egg, or about 1-1/4 ounces, has 16 calories, 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of sodium, 45 mg of potassium, the weensiest little bit of riboflavin, and no fat, cholesterol, or carbohydrates.

The yolk of that egg weighs about 2/3 of an ounce, and has 59 calories, 3 g of protein, 5 g of fat (2 of which are saturated), 212 mg of cholesterol, 23 mg of calcium, 81 mg of phosphorus, 7 mg of sodium, 16 mg of potassium, very small amounts of iron, thiamin, and riboflavin, and no carbohydrates.

mildain

Awards
The white of a large egg, or about 1-1/4 ounces, has 16 calories, 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of sodium, 45 mg of potassium, the weensiest little bit of riboflavin, and no fat, cholesterol, or carbohydrates.

The yolk of that egg weighs about 2/3 of an ounce, and has 59 calories, 3 g of protein, 5 g of fat (2 of which are saturated), 212 mg of cholesterol, 23 mg of calcium, 81 mg of phosphorus, 7 mg of sodium, 16 mg of potassium, very small amounts of iron, thiamin, and riboflavin, and no carbohydrates.
Damnit now i have to start eating the yolks! {:(
Wow looks like you know your eggs karategirl how much you eat a day? I eat about 12 but causes some major bloatation problems so I make sure i'm not going out anytime soon.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
whole eggs all the way.

fat is such a misunderstood little thing. I love fat. :D

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established

PLEASE tell me you did NOT know that off the top of your head.

If yes then I will have to go roundhouse kick myself into submission. :run:

CROWLER

ktw

Awards
  • Established
im not so much concerned about the fat of the egg, but the cholesterol content. One egg is about 50% of your rda, so eating a ****load of eggs a day would probably be bad correct? For me its all about buying the cheapest possible eggs and just separating the yolks or buying the safeway ghetto egg beaters

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
im not so much concerned about the fat of the egg, but the cholesterol content. One egg is about 50% of your rda, so eating a ****load of eggs a day would probably be bad correct? For me its all about buying the cheapest possible eggs and just separating the yolks or buying the safeway ghetto egg beaters
meh, it's debatable that dietary cholesterol raises your LDL.
I eat a buttload of eggs regularly and my doc pretty much hugs me after every physical. Go figure. But you're right to err on the side of caution.. i suppose someone has to.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
IMO blood cholesterol levels are most strongly influenced by genetics, if you have a genetic disposition for high LDL or HDL/LDL ratio and consume a large amount of dietary cholesterol, then the risks are obviously raised more dramatically then that of an individual with 'better genetics' for blood/liver values.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Yes I forgot to mention I'm from planet Mork. :)

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
OK OK, it is wise to watch your cholesterol intake, i still love fat and will use any excuse to justify my horribly high consumption of it.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Damnit now i have to start eating the yolks! {:(
Wow looks like you know your eggs karategirl how much you eat a day? I eat about 12 but causes some major bloatation problems so I make sure i'm not going out anytime soon.
I go through between 5 and 10 egg whites a day and 1 yolk.
I have just come up with a great "pretend pancake" recipe which helps me to not get bored.
5 egg whites
1 yolk
splenda to taste.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon whole wheat flour (or enough to thicken it slightly).
Cinnamon powder.

Beat the ingredients, allow to sit for a couple of minutes for the baking soda to react.
Cook like a pancake.

Serve with sugar free syrup if desired.

Yummy way to get protein into you diet, and low carb too :)

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
PLEASE tell me you did NOT know that off the top of your head.

If yes then I will have to go roundhouse kick myself into submission. :run:

CROWLER
Don't worry, you don't have to roundhouse kick youself :)
I already had it in my nutritional sheet that I keep of the common items I eat in a day.

Sad I know, but I like to keep track of my diet.

However, if you could kick yourself in the head, could you tape it and put it on here please, that would be fun to watch ;)

goldlifter

Awards
I have just come up with a great "pretend pancake" recipe which helps me to not get bored.
5 egg whites
1 yolk
splenda to taste.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Cinnamon powder.

Beat the ingredients, allow to sit for a couple of minutes for the baking soda to react.
Cook like a pancake.

hmmm, gonna hafta try that

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Don't worry, you don't have to roundhouse kick youself :)
I already had it in my nutritional sheet that I keep of the common items I eat in a day.

Sad I know, but I like to keep track of my diet.

However, if you could kick yourself in the head, could you tape it and put it on here please, that would be fun to watch ;)
:hammer:

If I could roundhouse kick myself in the head I wouldn't need to go out. Oh wait that is a different joke. :twisted:

CROWLER

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
:hammer:

If I could roundhouse kick myself in the head I wouldn't need to go out. Oh wait that is a different joke. :twisted:

CROWLER
freak! :D

jjse1f

Awards
To add to Ubiquitous and Smokey, the more current studies show dietary cholesterol and plasma cholesterol are not related for most.

if you are really bored, pubmed and scholar.google have multiple articles.

mildain

Awards
5 egg whites
1 yolk
splenda to taste.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Cinnamon powder.

Cook like a pancake.

Great looking recipe, will be looking forward to trying it out soon.:burger: Making me hungry just thinking about it...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 1
Daff Supplements 9
Supplements 9
SwoleNation Supplements 8
nasty88 Nutrition / Health 25