Pre workout Supps

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I will be working out first thing in the morning before class this upcoming semester and would like some advice on how when I should take my preworkout supps. I will be taking NO-xplode (which it says to take on an empty stomach and not eat anything within 45 minutes of taking it), taurine, nitro jet, and GO. Should I just take them all at once and then when I get to the gym (30-45 minutes later) start drinking my during workout shake of ICE and gatorade powder. Thanks and your input would be greatly appreciated.

Redspy

Board Supporter
Awards
I keep it simple: 5g of creatine and a couple of banana's. About an hour before I workout I'll have a scoop of whey mixed with water.

I wouldn't bother with the NO supplements, they're a waste of money.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
The NO xplode is not just a NO supp, its a mix combination of different things. It looks promising so I thought I would give it a try when I bulked...either that or swole v2 cause I have had good results with that previously.

sawastea

Awards
Manu, that looks fine as you outlined. Just watch out for an upset stomach, if anything :eek:

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I workout on an empty stomach at 4am, so I just pop a couple T-Rex and some Green Tea caps and hit it hard!
I'll do the T-Rex for 3 weeks and then switch to another product for a few weeks.

Gumbo

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I'd stick with the swole, or just get some taurine and creatine powder seperate and mix those up with some whey and carbs.

GhostfaceKillah

GhostfaceKillah

Awards
I workout on an empty stomach at 4am, so I just pop a couple T-Rex and some Green Tea caps and hit it hard!
I'll do the T-Rex for 3 weeks and then switch to another product for a few weeks.

Gumbo
That sounds ridiculously catabolic, but I bet on an empty stomach those stims hit like a freight train.

My typical pre-workout nutrition for 6 am lifting is 20 grams of EAAs + 15 grams of dextrose + 15 grams of sucrose + some form of creatine, all taken 20 minutes pre-workout. If you are not a fan of EAAs and have a reasonably strong stomach, go with whey isolate.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
That sounds ridiculously catabolic, but I bet on an empty stomach those stims hit like a freight train.

My typical pre-workout nutrition for 6 am lifting is 20 grams of EAAs + 15 grams of dextrose + 15 grams of sucrose + some form of creatine, all taken 20 minutes pre-workout. If you are not a fan of EAAs and have a reasonably strong stomach, go with whey isolate.
True, but I find that I feel lightheaded if I eat anything before. Would you recommend a protein shake about a half hour before lifting? I already take a thick shake at night just before bed.

My goal is to stay lean, rather than huge. I'm currently 5'10" and 200lbs. My bodyfat fluctuates between 6%-10% depending on the time of year, vacation, etc.....

Thanks,

Gumbo

GhostfaceKillah

GhostfaceKillah

Awards
True, but I find that I feel lightheaded if I eat anything before. Would you recommend a protein shake about a half hour before lifting? I already take a thick shake at night just before bed.

My goal is to stay lean, rather than huge. I'm currently 5'10" and 200lbs. My bodyfat fluctuates between 6%-10% depending on the time of year, vacation, etc.....

Thanks,

Gumbo
How often do you eat during the day? If you eat every, say, 4-5 hours on average (conservative estimate for most bodybuilders) and go to bed any time before midnight, your body is already "expecting" another meal. If you are already in a catabolic state before beginning your workouts, I think it is safe to say that cortisol levels will be through the roof, possibly hindering muscle gain and fat loss. I have gotten the light-headed feeling myself when I first began experimenting with pre-workout nutrition, but once I got down the timing and ratio of protein:carbs, my workouts became more productive and my recovery improved substantially. I'd say give it a whirl.

sawastea

Awards
GFK, from your past experiences of making custom mixes, and making your own concoctions, do you think you found a winner, for pre-workout? I know that is similar to Beast's pre-workout formula. How do you like it?

:blink:

GhostfaceKillah

GhostfaceKillah

Awards
GFK, from your past experiences of making custom mixes, and making your own concoctions, do you think you found a winner, for pre-workout? I know that is similar to Beast's pre-workout formula. How do you like it?

:blink:
Although I have liked experimenting with newer compounds (diarginine malate, hmb, citrulline malate, b-alanine, etc.), I don't feel that their benefits are justified by the additional cost. As far as returns for the money spent, I believe that what I listed is a solid pre-workout suggestion for anyone. It can also serve as a foundation to which things such as GO, Nitrojet, Body Octane, what have you, may be added. In the next few months I would like to stay away from gimmicky products, apportioning the spared money into food, whey, and EFAs. We'll see if I follow through...

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
How often do you eat during the day? If you eat every, say, 4-5 hours on average (conservative estimate for most bodybuilders) and go to bed any time before midnight, your body is already "expecting" another meal. If you are already in a catabolic state before beginning your workouts, I think it is safe to say that cortisol levels will be through the roof, possibly hindering muscle gain and fat loss. I have gotten the light-headed feeling myself when I first began experimenting with pre-workout nutrition, but once I got down the timing and ratio of protein:carbs, my workouts became more productive and my recovery improved substantially. I'd say give it a whirl.
How often do I eat?....hmmmm, every 2-3 hour starting at 6:30am (not counting the post-workout shake). Calories range from 250-500. I'm gonna mess around with some pre-workout protein/carb ratios and see what happens.

Thanks,

Gumbo

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Gumbo,

i trained first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for a couple of years. that's how i justified my pre-bed meals but i feel much better now having some protein & carbs 30-45 minutes pre w/o.

dex, malto & glucose made me pretty fat but i had some pretty good workouts having honey & whey pre w/o.

it took a while to get used to it but now i can't do without it. the only exception is the night before legs i have pizza or pasta & NOTHING pre w/o.

might pay to add some Vit.C pre & post w/o as well. very under rated supp.

Jag

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Gumbo,

i trained first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for a couple of years. that's how i justified my pre-bed meals but i feel much better now having some protein & carbs 30-45 minutes pre w/o.

dex, malto & glucose made me pretty fat but i had some pretty good workouts having honey & whey pre w/o.

it took a while to get used to it but now i can't do without it. the only exception is the night before legs i have pizza or pasta & NOTHING pre w/o.

might pay to add some Vit.C pre & post w/o as well. very under rated supp.

Jag
Well, for the past 2 weeks, I've been taking 30-40 grams of whey protein on the way to the gym and can already see and feel a difference. I still take my stims (t-rex, green tea, etc) upon waking, but appear to be making better progress with the extra protein before. I may try adding a little maltodextrin to the mix and see how I feel. The only problem is that sometimes, when I take carbs before working out, I get light-headed. Only seems to happen when I do cardio to warm up before working legs. Not sure what the relation is yet, but I'm going to experiment some more.

Thanks,

Gumbo