Pre and Post workout carbs, how many gram?

TomGreen

TomGreen

Awards
Ill be starting my bulking cycle this week and will be taking in very high carbs. Want to take in a high portion around my workout. Im thinking 50g maltodextrin about 30-45 minutes before and 80-100grams dextrose immediately after with my protein shake. Does anyone have any thoughts on that dose. Fat gain is not a concern with what i will be taking and my genetics, so my main focus is just muscle gain. Thanks

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
meal timing is irrelevant to body composition and neither is a specific macro. you just wanna hit your macro minimums for most optimal results. I train fasted yet I eat 500-600 grams of carbs a day. I just feel better that way, yet I'm still full of glycogen due to overall intake. its preferential, so if you enjoy that and it works for you, then do it, theres no answer to this question from us, but you can answer yourself if you like it, then do it, if not then do something else. for me, id rather eat a big ass bowl of oats after my workout for carbs, but thats just me.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
As mentioned above, calorie timing is not too important. I would try what you've laid out above and see if it works well for you. If getting in calories is the concern, you could also consider using an intra workout shake of carbs and protein/bcaas to further increase calorie intake.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Honestly, my biggest problem is that you’ll probably pay $20 for a tub of maltodextrin. A pound of maltodextrin is only worth a few cents. I’d skip it and just eat carb foods, probably better value. Tastes better too.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ill be starting my bulking cycle this week and will be taking in very high carbs. Want to take in a high portion around my workout. Im thinking 50g maltodextrin about 30-45 minutes before and 80-100grams dextrose immediately after with my protein shake. Does anyone have any thoughts on that dose. Fat gain is not a concern with what i will be taking and my genetics, so my main focus is just muscle gain. Thanks
In the end, it comes down to total calories. You can time carbs around workouts to help with body composition, but the effect is minimal. If fat gain is a concern too, I wouldn't have all of that maltodextrin, focus on whole foods.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I find slower burning carbs are better pre workout. Fast acting is fine post training; however Id find something more tasty than dextose with lower fat . I did dextose for years , it works though for re glycogenating the muscles.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you don't get enough carbs daily will your muscles stop growing or just get enough protein per day?

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you don't get enough carbs daily will your muscles stop growing or just get enough protein per day?
No but youd benefit more having carbs involved than not. It is very possible to grow muscle on a very low carb diet. Arnold era they had almost keto diet.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I find slower burning carbs are better pre workout. Fast acting is fine post training; however Id find something more tasty than dextose with lower fat . I did dextose for years , it works though for re glycogenating the muscles.
Toallt agree. Fast sugar when your body is exhausted, especially if you do cardio too.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
meal timing is irrelevant to body composition and neither is a specific macro. you just wanna hit your macro minimums for most optimal results. I train fasted yet I eat 500-600 grams of carbs a day. I just feel better that way, yet I'm still full of glycogen due to overall intake. its preferential, so if you enjoy that and it works for you, then do it, theres no answer to this question from us, but you can answer yourself if you like it, then do it, if not then do something else. for me, id rather eat a big ass bowl of oats after my workout for carbs, but thats just me.
Well I can agree that macros aren't that important but for sure you'd experience a different body by timing meals and to avoid certain fats and sugars. Example having carbs from 7am until 3pm when you work out and going fat protein the rest of the day until bed is not the same as having carbs to every meal of the day. Carbs burns carbs fat burns fat, carbs adds much more water, some people are also sensitive to carbs and some to fat. I believe our bodies will tell us. If I feel flat I eat, if I feel bloated I wait.