Post lift carbs

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What's everyone's favorite sugar stuff after a lifting session?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Mike and Ike’s..haha
Those are made out of corn syrup, if you're going to do candy around the workout you want the ones that are made out of glucose syrup, typically that's only the harbrio gold bears and other gummies from that specific brand. Otherwise you can get away with candy made out of dextrose but it's still not readily available like glucose syrup.

Fructose and corn syrup doesn't fill the muscle, it gets stored in the liver

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Those are made out of corn syrup, if you're going to do candy around the workout you want the ones that are made out of glucose syrup, typically that's only the harbrio gold bears and other gummies from that specific brand. Otherwise you can get away with candy made out of dextrose but it's still not readily available like glucose syrup.

Fructose and corn syrup doesn't fill the muscle, it gets stored in the liver
What's your thoughts on dextrose and maltodextrin?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What's your thoughts on dextrose and maltodextrin?
I use dextrose intra workout fairly often. A lot of people get branched chain cyclic dextrin because it doesn't screw with their stomachs but I have no issues with regular dextrose and regular dextrose is way cheaper. I haven't really noticed a difference between the two. I'm not quite sure how maltodextrin fits into the equation as a carb source because I've never really looked into it

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I use dextrose intra workout fairly often. A lot of people get branched chain cyclic dextrin because it doesn't screw with their stomachs but I have no issues with regular dextrose and regular dextrose is way cheaper. I haven't really noticed a difference between the two. I'm not quite sure how maltodextrin fits into the equation as a carb source because I've never really looked into it
How much dextrose do you usually use for a session?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
How much dextrose do you usually use for a session?
Depends on what I'm doing and what I ate earlier that day. If I already had carbs at every meal then it's unlikely I will need any carbs intra workout. If I'm lifting weights only i might have 20-30 gm of carbs from dextrose with eaa's and creatine. If I'm doing a boxing workout it might be closer to 50gm carbs from dextrose and if I'm doing a 2-2.5 hour session where I'm doing weights and boxing back to back it could be up to 100gm of carbs.

But the less the better, meaning if I'm getting all my meals in correctly I don't really ever need intra workout carbs other then the double session days

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Depends on what I'm doing and what I ate earlier that day. If I already had carbs at every meal then it's unlikely I will need any carbs intra workout. If I'm lifting weights only i might have 20-30 gm of carbs from dextrose with eaa's and creatine. If I'm doing a boxing workout it might be closer to 50gm carbs from dextrose and if I'm doing a 2-2.5 hour session where I'm doing weights and boxing back to back it could be up to 100gm of carbs.

But the less the better, meaning if I'm getting all my meals in correctly I don't really ever need intra workout carbs other then the double session days
I usually lift in the morning before work on a mostly empty stomach. I usually throw in a ritz cracker or two with peanut butter so I'm not taking a bunch of supps first thing in the morning on empty. Do u think its better to use the dextrose intra or post workout with a shake?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think a couple crackers with peanut butter isint really doing much.

If I absolutely had to train fasted in the morning which I do from time to time I will make sure my last meal of the day is right before bed and then il do eaa's with carbs intra the next morning and a real food meal post workout. I only drink protein shakes if I absolutely can't eat real food.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I usually lift in the morning before work on a mostly empty stomach. I usually throw in a ritz cracker or two with peanut butter so I'm not taking a bunch of supps first thing in the morning on empty. Do u think its better to use the dextrose intra or post workout with a shake?
Just a fyi. Training fasted on a regular basis is going to dramatically limit your ability to build muscle. If anything, make a effort to get up a hour earlier. Or make a PBJ or something and stick it in the fridge with a shake and have that as soon as you wake up.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just a fyi. Training fasted on a regular basis is going to dramatically limit your ability to build muscle. If anything, make a effort to get up a hour earlier. Or make a PBJ or something and stick it in the fridge with a shake and have that as soon as you wake up.
Thank you! That's very helpful. I love to keep learning about this stuff. Training before work is really the best time for me. What would you say a good quick meal after training would look like, basically my breakfast? I usually nail a protein shake with a banana and a bowl of cereal. I end up eating another meal about 2 hours later at first break

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thank you! That's very helpful. I love to keep learning about this stuff. Training before work is really the best time for me. What would you say a good quick meal after training would look like, basically my breakfast?
Protein and carbs, keep fats minimal post workout.

So.....
egg whites and rice

Or chicken and rice

Protein powder mixed with water or skim milk and pour it over a very low fat cereal like rice Krispies.

Or a overnight oats bowl type thing

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
John Meadows was big on peri workout nutrition and that's where I got most of my peri workout nutrition guidelines.

Pre workout we want small meal with mostly protein and carbs and a small amount of fat

Intra eaa and "carbs if necessary"

Post workout protein and carbs with as little fat as possible

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Protein and carbs, keep fats minimal post workout.

So.....
egg whites and rice

Or chicken and rice

Protein powder mixed with water or skim milk and pour it over a very low fat cereal like rice Krispies.

Or a overnight oats bowl type thing
What is an overnight oats bowl? I also wondered your opinion on oatmeal as a carb throughout the day

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I’ve been eating these little prepackaged fig and fruit cookie bars as an after lift carb lately.

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
This time of year? I prefer fruit..... Strawberries, blueberries, apples, bananas...... I will usually eat the fruit with a shake.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What is an overnight oats bowl? I also wondered your opinion on oatmeal as a carb throughout the day
Basically you make a protein shake and then you put your dry oats in a bowl and pour the shake in and mix it up and stick it in the fridge. It will be ready in the morning to eat cold.

My favorite recipe is 1 cup chocolate fairlife milk, 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop collagen protein, shake that up and pour it over.... 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana and 1 tablespoon chia seeds.

It taste like chocolate and banana pudding.

In my opinion the three best carb sources for trying to building muscle and stay lean are white rice, sweet potatoes and oats.

Obviously only if they digest well for you

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also, I answered this thread with a response for optimal carb sources, not my favorite sugar crab that I just love to eat.

If we throw optimal out the window and your asking what's your favorite post workout junk food.

Milk and Pop-Tarts lol

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Basically you make a protein shake and then you put your dry oats in a bowl and pour the shake in and mix it up and stick it in the fridge. It will be ready in the morning to eat cold.

My favorite recipe is 1 cup chocolate fairlife milk, 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop collagen protein, shake that up and pour it over.... 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana and 1 tablespoon chia seeds.

It taste like chocolate and banana pudding.

In my opinion the three best carb sources for trying to building muscle and stay lean are white rice, sweet potatoes and oats.

Obviously only if they digest well for you
Does white rice break down into simple sugars sufficient to replenish the muscle after lifting?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Does white rice break down into simple sugars sufficient to replenish the muscle after lifting?
Seriously?

Why do you think all the top bodybuilders in the world eat rice at every meal....

Bodybuilders eat chicken breast and rice, the more chicken and rice you eat the better of a bodybuilder you'll become and I'm not joking.

We all look for variety and tips and tricks. But when it comes to building muscle and looking like a bodybuilder outside of anabolics and training hard it's a game of who can eat the most chicken and rice

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
As far as I know, all carbs with the exception of fruit and corn syrup based stuff will store glycogen in the muscle.

But just because you worked out today also doesn't necessarily mean you need carbs post workout. The more muscle you carry and the more intense your workouts the more likely you need more carbs.

A big lean 220+ lb bodybuilder type guy is guy who's doing 1.5-2hr high rep high intensity training is going to need a decent amount of carbs but 160lb lean guy or someone bigger with a good amount of bodyfat doing the compound stuff and heading home in 45min probably won't need much if any carbs post workout. You can get a insulin spike just from whey protein.

Goes back to the variables. You also don't wanna just add a bunch of extra carbs recklessly, you want to move the carbs from other meals around your workout otherwise you're just going to be adding a bunch of extra calories. That you've already been eating all your meals spaced out and you're about ready to bump your calories up adding more carbs around the workout is a good time to do it.

I know this is kinda broscience but when your on gear I feel like it's really hard to get fat if you eat your extra carbs around the workout. Just keep it low fat

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
As far as I know, all carbs with the exception of fruit and corn syrup based stuff will store glycogen in the muscle.

But just because you worked out today also doesn't necessarily mean you need carbs post workout. The more muscle you carry and the more intense your workouts the more likely you need more carbs.

A big lean 220+ lb bodybuilder type guy is guy who's doing 1.5-2hr high rep high intensity training is going to need a decent amount of carbs but 160lb lean guy or someone bigger with a good amount of bodyfat doing the compound stuff and heading home in 45min probably won't need much if any carbs post workout. You can get a insulin spike just from whey protein.

Goes back to the variables. You also don't wanna just add a bunch of extra carbs recklessly, you want to move the carbs from other meals around your workout otherwise you're just going to be adding a bunch of extra calories. That you've already been eating all your meals spaced out and you're about ready to bump your calories up adding more carbs around the workout is a good time to do it.

I know this is kinda broscience but when your on gear I feel like it's really hard to get fat if you eat your extra carbs around the workout. Just keep it low fat
Thank you, I really appreciate the insight. I doubt anyone would consider it "gear" but I am running cel Stano-plex epiandro 600mg/day. Just started that 2 days ago. I've been eating a shitload of chicken breast the past 6 weeks and using oatmeal as a main carb throughout the day. One thing I'll change after talking with you is having a pbj before my lift in the morning instead of training fasted. Prior to the last 6 weeks I ate like **** for 6 years with the proverbial Dad bod. I've got a lot of ground to make up but I'm already seeing results. I picked the epiandro because A) it's my first cycle of anything other than m1test for a week when I was 18 and stupid, and B) it's supposed to be good for maintaining lean mass while trying to cut fat.

Once again I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to help me out👍

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thank you, I really appreciate the insight. I doubt anyone would consider it "gear" but I am running cel Stano-plex epiandro 600mg/day. Just started that 2 days ago. I've been eating a shitload of chicken breast the past 6 weeks and using oatmeal as a main carb throughout the day. One thing I'll change after talking with you is having a pbj before my lift in the morning instead of training fasted. Prior to the last 6 weeks I ate like **** for 6 years with the proverbial Dad bod. I've got a lot of ground to make up but I'm already seeing results. I picked the epiandro because A) it's my first cycle of anything other than m1test for a week when I was 18 and stupid, and B) it's supposed to be good for maintaining lean mass while trying to cut fat.

Once again I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to help me out👍
Ya that's very mild, it would probably be worth while to add some dermacrine or 4 Andro to get yourself some test and estrogen conversion. It will help with mood, libido and muscle growth

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ya that's very mild, it would probably be worth while to add some dermacrine or 4 Andro to get yourself some test and estrogen conversion. It will help with mood, libido and muscle growth
Have you ever used rebirth from BLR for pct?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Have you ever used rebirth from BLR for pct?
Yes, I wouldn't consider anything OTC a real PCT tho and I don't believe it's sufficient for a pct in 90% of cycles. But for 600mg epiandro only cycle it might work.

With that said, blr is a solid company and rebirth is probably the best your going to get at a OTC pct. But I still think it's foolish to run any hormonal cycle without a real serm

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Post workout i like white rice and honey as my carb sources. Be that cooked rice, rice cakes or cream of rice.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Couple other things....

How does the lactose from milk factor in? It's lower on the glycemic index so I assume it just gets counted toward the daily total?

Bananas.... Mostly sugar. I eat them for the potassium. What time of day is best to eat them or should I just avoid them if trying to cut fat?

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Post workout i like white rice and honey as my carb sources. Be that cooked rice, rice cakes or cream of rice.
What's your thoughts on rice milk?

Also, how do you go about determining the amount of rice to eat after a lift?

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

Your overthinking stuff man. It's not gonna make or break your workouts.

Figure out how many carbs per day your going to eat and put half of your daily carbs around the workout window pre and post.

Do that for a few weeks and see how you feel.

You don't burn through all your glycogen stores every workout. The carbs you ate post workout yesterday and in all the other meals after will still be stored in your muscles as glycogen the next day and Maybe even a little the day after that.

So in your case we are not eating a ton first thing in the morning you could have say 50gm carbs post workout and evenly distributed the rest of your carbs throughout the day. You gonna be fine.

Some ppl eat no carbs post workout, just some whey, and then have there next meal 2 hours later.

There's more then 1 way to skin a cat

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Your overthinking stuff man. It's not gonna make or break your workouts.

Figure out how many carbs per day your going to eat and put half of your daily carbs around the workout window pre and post.

Do that for a few weeks and see how you feel.

You don't burn through all your glycogen stores every workout. The carbs you ate post workout yesterday and in all the other meals after will still be stored in your muscles as glycogen the next day and Maybe even a little the day after that.

So in your case we are not eating a ton first thing in the morning you could have say 50gm carbs post workout and evenly distributed the rest of your carbs throughout the day. You gonna be fine.

Some ppl eat no carbs post workout, just some whey, and then have there next meal 2 hours later.

There's more then 1 way to skin a cat
Good stuff. I appreciate that. I do tend to over complicate things.
So I did try something new that we talked about. I ate a pbj before my workout this morning and put some left over white rice in my shake after lifting(gross, I'll eat it separately next time lol) and yeah I felt great. Much better than training fasted and putting the proper carbs after a lift my body felt fuller longer. Good advice bro, I'm glad I'm finally getting my nutrition in check

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I have no experience with rice milk so i cannot say anything about that.

As for determening the amount or carbs there are many good studies surrounding this subject. I personally take great care with my peri-workout nutrition and have found what works best for me when it comes to pre, intra and post workout nutrition.

Source: https://shop.jeffnippard.com/product/the-ultimate-guide-to-body-recomposition/

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have no experience with rice milk so i cannot say anything about that.

As for determening the amount or carbs there are many good studies surrounding this subject. I personally take great care with my peri-workout nutrition and have found what works best for me when it comes to pre, intra and post workout nutrition.

View attachment 218793
View attachment 218794
View attachment 218795
Source: https://shop.jeffnippard.com/product/the-ultimate-guide-to-body-recomposition/
That's good stuff. Thank you

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
Mirroring a few others, I've been doing three rice cakes (caramel/chocolate/cinnamon apple all fire) with 10g honey drizzled on top. I eat that with protein sludge (greek yogurt + protein powder + creatine + cinnamon).

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've been doing 1/4 cup of white rice flower in my protein shake cuz I'm lazy