pork rinds

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
My friend always eats pork rinds and insists they are really healthy because they have a lot of protein (8grams) and not too awfully much fat, but on the back it says not a significant source of protein. It seems to me pork rinds are terribly bad for you but i just wanted an opinion on how good they are for your diet...ps he's on a cutting diet. thanks.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Moderation is your friend. If you are using them as a significant source of nutrients then you should rethink your diet. Me? I love the rinds!

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
so pork rinds as a snack won't make or break your diet like say a big mac would?

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Definitely wouldn't break your diet like a big mac... once again like Jay said, moderation. When I was on CKD I was snacking on these all the time... I've learned better since then, but point being, they won't kill you.

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
I've had to eat pork rinds, when all you have is a vending machine full of chips and candy bars, and YOU MUST EAT, you generally only have two acceptable choices.

A bag of nuts or pork rinds

both have a little bit of protein

Its better than "nuget" whatever the heck that is or
a bag of doritos

Gator762

Awards
Moderation is key. As long as he doesn't overdo it and sticks to his calorie count he'll be OK. He would likely have better results obtaining calories from more nutritious sources, especially when it comes to muscle loss.

I used to amaze friends by losing lots of weight while still eating at Taco Bell often. Granted it was a big meal of my day (usually 2 tacos). Of course they probably have near zero nutrients and I probably lost more muscle than if I ate better, but I did survive. ;)

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
I always wonder why it said "not a significant source of protein," when it has 8 grams a serving, which seems ok to me. Anyone have inisight on this??

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not sure exactly, but it's likely the protein is like collegen; not really usable in the body.

iDShaDoW

Awards
I always wonder why it said "not a significant source of protein," when it has 8 grams a serving, which seems ok to me. Anyone have inisight on this??
It's probably most likely because the amount of you protein you're getting per serving is very small compared to the amount of calories/fat/sodium you're consuming in order to get those 8 grams of protein.

"Not a significant source of protein" most likely means that it's not considered a high protein food source as something like eating a can of tuna.

That's just my take on it though, not sure if I'm all that correct.