Pisses me off: Unfit people in the fitness industry

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Today I had an orientation at my new University, and as part of the tour we met the director of the on-campus gym. He was trying to motivate everybody to use the facilities and start lifting weights....this dude was probably 6'0, 160 lbs with no muscle on his frame. So after, I go up to him and ask him about applying for a job b/c it'd really be cool to work at the gym on-campus. The motherfucker told me I couldn't even work at the front desk b/c I wasn't qualified b/c I hadn't completed my junior year yet.

Anybody ever walk into a gym, and at the front desk you see some fat guy?? For some reason it just pisses me off. Sorry, had to vent.

Brock Landers

Awards
The worst is when you go to the gym and you see personal trainers who look like stick figures or are fat as hell and they are training some poor bastard who just threw away $500 for their "training" which consists of crap exercises (just had to vent, saw that today)

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
some people are incredibly knowledgable about certain things even though they dont practice them.
but i know what you are talking about, why would you want to suck at something and make that your career. kinda funny

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
some people are incredibly knowledgable about certain things even though they dont practice them.
but i know what you are talking about, why would you want to suck at something and make that your career. kinda funny
I see what you're saying. Its like a mechanic driving a car with a bunch of problems...just doesn't make much sense :rolleyes:

size

Awards
  • Established
You have to understand that people have different goals. Also, people are vastly different in dedication. Not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder, and some of the best minds only care about fitness from a scientific persepective.

I admit that it is difficult to take advice from an individual who does not appear particularly fit. However, one should really try to get over this barrier. One of the most helpful individuals I ever met was a woman who helped be with lifting. I swallowed my pride and listened.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
why would you want to suck at something and make that your career. kinda funny
I dunno man.. but Jenna Jameson, Jenne Haze, Jill Kelly and others sure seems to have enjoyed "sucking" for their career :D

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
I feel ya, all of the "trainers" at my gym are about as big as one of my legs lol. I am serious most are 140lbs or less younger kids. They get pissed because most of them end up asking me for advice. I just smile and tell them I am not a trainer. They walk around with their pretty shirts on giving these people advice. I know they are thinking why would I listen to you, look at yourself. It does not really bother me, but I do find this pattern you speak of, I only know of one PT that I consider to be worthy and I used to lift with him myself before he started to train so I know he's good to go and he looks it, unlike the rest.

FireAndIce1121

Awards
I dunno man.. but Jenna Jameson, Jenne Haze, Jill Kelly and others sure seems to have enjoyed "sucking" for their career :D
Leave it to Houseman to make this point! LOL!

I will agree that people do have different goals. Some people workout just for the pure 'fitness' aspect of it, to stay healthy, and they have no intentions of looking like a bodybuilder. But some people really do know what they're talking about even if they don't practice it. For example, the trainer I had for my last competition was fat and totally out of shape...but he knew his stuff.

I know what you mean though DT...it is rather annoying to walk into a gym and see someone completely out of shape working the desk and/or training clients. Like at my gym, you'll see the manager out on the front side walk smoking. :confused:

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
My gym has a rougly 225lb front desk girl, all fat- she does not train ever. Every day I see her sitting in her car out front & smoking. Then you have the aerobics instructors who walk around in expensive fitness outfits with their fake boobies popping out, but have so much junk in the trunk that you laugh out loud when they prance by. Why are most aerobic instructors a bit chubby? Always wondered that...

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Being in a health profession, you have to be knowledgable foremost, then other factors come next (this, inclduing physique). No doubt, if someone who running a gym or a trainer there are deezed and jacked up and knows what he or she is preaching, then more props to them. But i know the most knowledgable man Ive met about the health profession (and btw, runs his own gym), is a stick. Doesnt make him a bad trainer/owner.
Sage

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm fat and don't know what the hell I'm talking about. :D

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Reminds me of the guy on TV, John Bastow? fitness celebrity? (wtf?)

its that fatburning commercial... the guy with the fake chest and looks like fake abs too... has NO NECK... his neck is the size of a toothpick and his back is nowhere to be seen... funny as hell; i laugh at that commercial whenever i see it

some dude i know always keeps trying to give me advice... he doesnt know **** except what he reads in muscle magazines... told me doing anything other than incline benches for my chest would give me bitch tits? he didnt even know what gyno was lol

Skark

Awards
  • Established
Anybody ever walk into a gym, and at the front desk you see some fat guy?? For some reason it just pisses me off. Sorry, had to vent.
I know I had more knowledge about weight training at over 400 lbs than most guys in my gym, so appearances can be deceiving. Remember Dan Duchaine, 140 lbs soaking wet, had as much gear, dieting, and training knowledge as anyone around.

elvisaintdead

Awards
There are some people who are either fat or look like a stick yet they know practically everything about fitness. But for the most part, if somebody spent tons of time researching and learning about fitness and nutrition, 95 percent of the time they aren't going to look like a stick or look fat.

There are too many "BOOK knowledgable" people in many professions. While a few really can tell you whats going on, most are just that, "BOOK KNOWLEDGABLE"

While a trainer doesn't have to be "HUGE", I'd rather have somebody train me who was in shape then somebody who looked like they never saw a weight before.

I remember one time on a local news show, the "HEALTH" Report came on and it was this news women who looked like she goes home after work and eats donuts all night. I was just thinking, how the hell is she gonna tell me about health.

But back to the health and fitness industry. It is by and large a "Physical" industry. Why would most people hire a trainer who is out of shape either by having no muscle and being a twig or by being out of shape and fat. I know i sure wouldn't .. They might have all the book smarts in the world, but it's obvious they dont know how to use those smarts.

To me, I just find it hard to belive that somebody who dedicates their lives to helping others achieve fitness and a healthy outlook would be so unfit.

I remember the best sports team i ever played on. It was way way way back in high school. When our coach told us to run laps, he ran laps with us. While he didn't do everything with us, he did many of the things we high school aged kids did. And it was one of the best years I've ever played on a team. Statistics wise and results wise.

To me, I'd respect somebody more if they actually did it.

There are far too many people in the world who "TALK BIG."

Hey for every person who can talk a big game and have all this knowledge, there are about 1000 who talk a big game and dont know a lick.

Just like there are peole who are either extemely ripped and huge or extremely ripped and cut who realy cant tell you a thing about how to train, there are plenty of people who can talk a big game yet show nothing for what they say.

To me, you dont have to be huge, but you better be in shape to be a personal trainer. Otherwise, go find another industry.

rebo

Awards
Haha, Dr Phill kills me with his advice on weight loss(hes a fat man himself)although his advice is sound its just damn hard to listen to him when hes pretty out of shape himself.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
Being in a health profession, you have to be knowledgable foremost, then other factors come next (this, inclduing physique). No doubt, if someone who running a gym or a trainer there are deezed and jacked up and knows what he or she is preaching, then more props to them. But i know the most knowledgable man Ive met about the health profession (and btw, runs his own gym), is a stick. Doesnt make him a bad trainer/owner.
Sage

So true...I know a handful of people who are extrememly knowledgable and effect trainers but look like string beans who've never seen a gym in their lives.

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I personally think that looking like a "string bean" isn't nearly as large of a sin as being overweight and fat. Reason is, not everyone wants to be "hyooge" in fact now a days the calvin klein, anorexic look is pretty popular and I know alot of friends that purposely lost muscle to slim down to get this look. So umm yeah... dont fault the guys for being skinny, they might just have no interest in being big, simply in being healthy and skinny. However fault the fat people, they have no excuse :)

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
dont fault the guys for being skinny, they might just have no interest in being big, simply in being healthy and skinny. However fault the fat people, they have no excuse :)
I agree with MattD...interesting comment. First off, what makes "skinny" a "healthy" thing to be? "Skinny" people can also have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, animia, etc. But, I think I know what you were trying to say.

Also, your comment about "fat people" not having an "excuse", was the ignorant rants that was force fed to people years ago. There are many health disorders that play a part in this area. None of which were welcomed by their victims with open arms.

Now, if one were to become a sloth and/or glutton by choice, then that's another thing.

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree with MattD...interesting comment. First off, what makes "skinny" a "healthy" thing to be? "Skinny" people can also have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, animia, etc. But, I think I know what you were trying to say.

Also, your comment about "fat people" not having an "excuse", was the ignorant rants that was force fed to people years ago. There are many health disorders that play a part in this area. None of which were welcomed by their victims with open arms.

Now, if one were to become a sloth and/or glutton by choice, then that's another thing.
Actually most of the recent research I have seen points to environmental factors NOT genetic for (I cant' remember the exact figure) something like 90% of overweight individuals in America.

I find it hard to believe that all of these pudgy trainers have thyroid problems...? So I stand by my original statement, as we are talking about health trainers here NOT the general population. My comments were directed toward that demographic.

And as for skinny not going hand in hand with good health, I totally agree, however one is definitely more likely to be healthy if one is not overweight, yes? Not a guarantee of good health, but certainly better than being overweight. That is why many health nuts simply care about being "fit", not big.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
When will people learn that we are COMPLETELY 100% A PRODUCT of both our NATURE (things we truly don't have control over i.e genetics) and our NURTURE (how we are brought up, i.e. "it's in your head"). As someone who has lived with many kinds of crazy (bad luck with college roomies for a long time), sometimes after meeting and getting to know the nurture side of people (family), you start thinking their craziness is a genetic **** up...

ManBeast
(Haha! you all thought I would have no point! :D)