Over 50 Club Logs

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking to follow other "over 50" lifter logs. As you know we tend to have "different" issues to contend with compared to the young bucks. Who is over 50 and Logs?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Right here my man. 52 in Feb.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looking to follow other "over 50" lifter logs. As you know we tend to have "different" issues to contend with compared to the young bucks. Who is over 50 and Logs?
I'm gonna be 39 soon but I feel like 50+ lately;). Does this count? Lol

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jem6702

jem6702

Awards
Hate to have to admit it, but turned 50 June of 2016. In on this one.....

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No one else over 50? Really?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm 53, but don't have a log anywhere near as interesting as you two guys do. kenpoengineer your log as been a real inspiration

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I log mentally and it is just the same ole same ole unless mojo is unusually high or low. How much detail is in a log? Different equipment as well.
For example yesterday and let me know if this is what a log looks like.

Plate loaded diverging pulldown: 12 reps at 100lbs each arm; 12 reps-110lbs;10reps-120lbs;8reps-130lbs, 6reps-135lbs; 6reps-145lbs

Plate loaded seated row, narrow grip: 12 reps at 145lbs each arm, 12reps-155lbs, 10reps-165lbs, 8reps-175lbsl 8 reps-180lbs.
Then added a few alternating one arm rows on this equipment at 180lbs, 10 each arm.x2

Plate loaded reverse grip pulldown: 12reps at 100lbs each arm. repeat pulldown from above except doubled 135lbs twice instead of up to 145lbs.
Then sat sideways in the equipment and did one arm pulldowns at 145lbs for 10reps. More leverage sitting sideways

Seated cable rows, narrow grip: 12reps at 65lbs each arm, then at 72.5lbs, then 80lbs, then 10reps at 87.5lbs, then 10 reps at 95lbs, then 10reps at 95lbs

Then wide grip cable pulldown. 12 reps at 130lbs, 12reps 130lbs, 10 reps 140lbs, 10reps 150lbs, 10reps 160lbs.

My biceps are huge at this point, skin is glistening with sweat, hormones all fired up, and then I go into the Spinning class and wow the Milfs.

Then 40min of high intensity spinning. HR to 185bpm.

Then on the rowing machine. 1500meters in 15minutes at moderate-high resistance.

Some days the mojo is high and the weight bumps up quicker and some days less so and less weight and some days just like above. Gains are measured in 5lb increments and gains are wave like-crest and trough, crest and trough. Weird.

Today will be chest,shoulders, tricep and spinning

I am probably novice level compared to bros. here.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I am currently 51 and have just started to log my latest HST routine - mickc1965 training log

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The issue I find with logging is at the gym you go in with a plan in mind but if it is Mon,Tues, Wed the gym is packed and so have to go to Plan B thru Z.
For example, yesterday the gym was very busy so had to do CST with other equipment rather than BB or DB which means different weights compared to previous sessions. Also had to do as opportunity arises in terms of what is available instead of desired format. Plotting progression is not uniform. Ended up doing push-pull which incorporated some of Tues. workouts described above although not recovered yet from those.

Another factor is the first few exercises are the best for heavy weight as one is not worn done. Bench press can be down 50lbs if it is the last exercise performed as opposed to the first. skews plots

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
The issue I find with logging is at the gym you go in with a plan in mind but if it is Mon,Tues, Wed the gym is packed and so have to go to Plan B thru Z.
For example, yesterday was very packed so had to do CST with other equipment rather than BB or DB which means different weights compared to previous sessions. Plotting progression is not uniform.

Another factor is the first few exercises are the best for heavy weight as one is not worn done. Bench press can be down 50lbs if it is the last exercise performed as opposed to the first. skews plots
Not such an issue for me, train at home

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like getting out of the house. Gym has loads of options. Not complaining about the scheduling. Just stating how it would effect plotting.

jem6702

jem6702

Awards
At 0330, the gym is pretty empty. Unfortunately, they like it when you show up for work- so there instead of other people, it is the clock that can skew the plan.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm so very blessed to have my home gym! I can curl in the power rack any time plus use any piece of equipment at any time. Lol.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At 58 I am clawing back. Had a few slight set backs, but that is how I see them, set backs only.
I have been adding to log entry without updates, but will most likely revive log after a bit more momentum and time.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At 58 I am clawing back. Had a few slight set backs, but that is how I see them, set backs only.
I have been adding to log entry without updates, but will most likely revive log after a bit more momentum and time.
And I really missed your advice in my Logs! Revive your log and keep teaching us young ones. Lol

compudog

compudog

Awards
Just passed over. I turned 50 on Jan 3. I celebrated in fitting fashion, or so I thought. I climbed a mountain and watched the sunset from the top, in -22F weather. Seemed like a pretty good externalisation of how I felt about the whole thing. Now, what where we talking about? :)

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, I know that you are a Beast of a 50 year old!

TSMilliner

Awards
Subbed in for the ride, at 50 interested in what works for others. Just recently started logging workouts again, but so far nothing I think worth sharing.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do HIIT cardio boot camps at the park on the weekends. 930-11am every Sat.Sun for two years. Started indoors in 2013 and outdoors is the punishing grind. That workout has done more for my conditioning than all the weightlifting has. Weightlifting made me strong and the HIIT stuff really gave me intense stamina.

Consists of 50lb battle rops, flipping 250lb tractor tires, 50-100 sandbags squats, uphill sprints, 440, 50-100 burpees, assorted dumbbells speed movements, etc. I just got a trx outfit for the group to do some with those.

Maybe it is sacrilege for this site. There are other ways to stay fit.

On 2nd thought, depends on the build. Fellow my age was benching 315 repeatedly. I notice he was a big bone guy. I am light built. Like comparing Arnold vs Van Damme. Someone that big would be hurting on those HIIT workouts. We have a few of the truly big gym guys try it and it is too much for them. I know it is conditioning and it does take more effort to run near continuously when weighing 220 vs 180

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, who’s OVER 50 and still rockin’ the weights!! Need more logs to follow.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
over 50. every day move some weights. My logs would be boring. Nothing compared to the gentlemen here.

For example today was barbell squat/DL day.
Squats
Warmup 135lbs x10x1
Power sets 225 x 5x6

DL
warmup 275 x8x1
Power sets 295x6x2, 315x6x2

Standing calf extension machine.
270x10x1
310x10x1
340x8x1
370x8x1

done. Numbers may not seem much. Exhausting to me. Shooting for 315 across the board on DLs to include warmup. Probably by December if no injuries.

I do these 2x per week. Have creeped up a bit in weight in six months on this routine. No pain. some tightness.

I call it the AARP workout.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I log mentally and it is just the same ole same ole unless mojo is unusually high or low. How much detail is in a log? Different equipment as well.
For example yesterday and let me know if this is what a log looks like.

Plate loaded diverging pulldown: 12 reps at 100lbs each arm; 12 reps-110lbs;10reps-120lbs;8reps-130lbs, 6reps-135lbs; 6reps-145lbs

Plate loaded seated row, narrow grip: 12 reps at 145lbs each arm, 12reps-155lbs, 10reps-165lbs, 8reps-175lbsl 8 reps-180lbs.
Then added a few alternating one arm rows on this equipment at 180lbs, 10 each arm.x2

Plate loaded reverse grip pulldown: 12reps at 100lbs each arm. repeat pulldown from above except doubled 135lbs twice instead of up to 145lbs.
Then sat sideways in the equipment and did one arm pulldowns at 145lbs for 10reps. More leverage sitting sideways

Seated cable rows, narrow grip: 12reps at 65lbs each arm, then at 72.5lbs, then 80lbs, then 10reps at 87.5lbs, then 10 reps at 95lbs, then 10reps at 95lbs

Then wide grip cable pulldown. 12 reps at 130lbs, 12reps 130lbs, 10 reps 140lbs, 10reps 150lbs, 10reps 160lbs.

My biceps are huge at this point, skin is glistening with sweat, hormones all fired up, and then I go into the Spinning class and wow the Milfs.

Then 40min of high intensity spinning. HR to 185bpm.

Then on the rowing machine. 1500meters in 15minutes at moderate-high resistance.

Some days the mojo is high and the weight bumps up quicker and some days less so and less weight and some days just like above. Gains are measured in 5lb increments and gains are wave like-crest and trough, crest and trough. Weird.

Today will be chest,shoulders, tricep and spinning

I am probably novice level compared to bros. here.
I changed the routine abit compared to above. Interesting to see how much change in a year

Start off with 6x10 pullups.neutral grip

Seated cable row each arm (87.5, 95, 2x102.5, 110) x 10-8 superset with farmers walk 80-90lbs

Diverging pull down, plate loaded, each arm (115, 135, 145, 155), x10 superset with farmers walk 80-90lbs

Seated row, plate loaded, narrow high grip, each arm (160, 170, 180,)x10 then switch to one arm 205 x8x3 superset with farmers walk 80-90lbs

Pull down, underhand grip, plate loaded. each arm (115, 125, 135x2,) x10 then switch to one arm 135, 145, 155 x10-8 superset with farmers walk 80-90lbs

Seated row, plate loaded, wide grip, each arm (135, 145, 155,160) x10

every other back/bicep day do vertical wide grip pull downs (160x2, 170x3,) x10 instead of diverging pulldown

done. Exhausted/ No time or energy for cardio after this.

I do the above 2x per week

go in the evening for spinning 2x per week. No more rowing.

T-bar row broken. Squat rack full so no bent over BB row

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks brother. Interested in what us master lifters do for health and longevity. Nice workout routines.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today's Push component to yesterday's pull.

OHP standng
115x10, 125x8, 130x5, 135x5x3

bench
185x10
225x5x5

incline press
155x10
165x8
175x7
185x5x3

decline press
185x10
205x8
225x6x4

dips bodyweight to failure x4

pec deck, the one where the arms are adjusted so no forced angle at the shoulders regardless of bodytype.Ouch on those.
160, 180, 200x10 last x2

rear deltoid- same machine. just move the arms forward and reverse seating position.
as above

and that is it. I will stay on this program until December and then take stock for January.

I do bootcamp every sat/sun in the morning after weights. Past four years with almost no fail except when I had chicken pox at age 50!!

Summary:
weights 7 days per week
spinning 2 nights per week. Needs to be 3 I think. I eat too mucch. Slowwwwly gaining extra weight
bootcamp 2 days per week
11 days training per 7 days.

You can see me on FB here;
https://www.facebook.com/celestino.corraliza
women lusts over me. How strange.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I travel a week per month so one M-F week is lightweight hotel gym type of training unless I have a real gym within walking distance. Otherwise like a a deload session.

Old man has to rest...