osteoarthritis help?

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Ok so My buddy who is only friggin 27 years old went to the docs for his hip and got this below:

Technique: Axial T1 and STIR and coronal T! and STIR sequences were obtained.

Findings
"Irregularity along the superior cortical surface of the fight femoral head with presence of edema and subchondral cysts. No evidence for a discretely defined serpiginous region is seen to indicate avascular necrosis. Instead there are some adjacent changes in the right acetabulum with mild edema and present of subchondral cysts and spurring. Despite the patient's age the overall appearance is consistent with osteoarthritis of the right hip. Noted that correlation with radiographs is recommended which may better demonstrate degenerative changes including joint space narrowing, difficult to evaluate on this MRI. Joint space narrowing is suspected. The left hip apprears grossly unremarkable. There is no evidence for stress fracture.

Impression:
"Findings at the right hip are most consistent with osteoarthritis including the presence of bone marrow edema and subchondral cysts of the superior aspedct of the right femoral head and adjacent superior righ acetabulum. The is degenerative spurring and probably joint space narrowing. Correlation with radiograph is recommended.

I told him before getting a friggin hip replacement at 27 he should exhaust all options aside from Physical Therapy.

I'm looking for the best supps out there that could possibly help with this. Any input would be appreciated.

h19

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok so My buddy who is only friggin 27 years old went to the docs for his hip and got this below:

Technique: Axial T1 and STIR and coronal T! and STIR sequences were obtained.

Findings
"Irregularity along the superior cortical surface of the fight femoral head with presence of edema and subchondral cysts. No evidence for a discretely defined serpiginous region is seen to indicate avascular necrosis. Instead there are some adjacent changes in the right acetabulum with mild edema and present of subchondral cysts and spurring. Despite the patient's age the overall appearance is consistent with osteoarthritis of the right hip. Noted that correlation with radiographs is recommended which may better demonstrate degenerative changes including joint space narrowing, difficult to evaluate on this MRI. Joint space narrowing is suspected. The left hip apprears grossly unremarkable. There is no evidence for stress fracture.

Impression:
"Findings at the right hip are most consistent with osteoarthritis including the presence of bone marrow edema and subchondral cysts of the superior aspedct of the right femoral head and adjacent superior righ acetabulum. The is degenerative spurring and probably joint space narrowing. Correlation with radiograph is recommended.

I told him before getting a friggin hip replacement at 27 he should exhaust all options aside from Physical Therapy.

I'm looking for the best supps out there that could possibly help with this. Any input would be appreciated.

h19
osteoarthritis is from wear and tear on the cartilage around the joints of the hips,knees,shoulders and back. Edema,cysts, spurs even bone chips/fragments in and around the joints are a common finding with oa,I have osteoarthritis in my left hip and am in no hurry to get a hip replacement, I can still lift heavy on leg days.treatment for oa is usually nsaids for edema/pain,oyster shell calcium with vitamin d, glucosamine,chondroitin,msm,etc.also there are a few once weekly drugs on the market such as fosamax and actonel these are supposed to actually reverse bone loss.I am leary of these drugs myself they can cause erosion of the esophogus if not used correctly, plus I have read reports of people who have had osteonecrosis in the mandible r/t taking fosamax/actonel (i'll pass on that). I have taken the glucosamine/chondroitin combo for years now which has helped but took many months to notice an effect.Recently after reading many positive reviews on cissus I started taking it but it's way to soon for me to offer an opinion as I have only taken it for two weeks now.27 is young for oa but if your friend has been involved in sports all his life it's not unheard of. unless he is debilitated by pain I would not even consider surgery,his doc should be treating symptoms as you can live with oa for years without the need for surgery.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply. He started taking a high dose Glucosamine/Chondroiton and I also reccomended Cissus to him.

He wasn't really involved in sports. I mean he is/was an active guy, but didn't play any sports really in HS except for basketball freshman/sophmore year.

I'm thinking maybe it's just genetics.

h19

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply. He started taking a high dose Glucosamine/Chondroiton and I also reccomended Cissus to him.

He wasn't really involved in sports. I mean he is/was an active guy, but didn't play any sports really in HS except for basketball freshman/sophmore year.

h19
When it comes to inflammation, look into antioxidants, especially grape seed xtract and R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid by Life Extention. For regeneration of cartillage look for GLC 2000. As far as calcium is concerned than I would suggest nothing other than Calcium Mineral Formula by Roex.

For your own benefit, use the 'search' option and type in.... 2800mg

Then click on page 3 of the second link entitled.... The battle to get back to normal

The products listed here and on that page will work synergistically with each other to combat the problem.

After a little time, you can expect great results with these supplements without the negatives from the statin drugs. The other advantage to the supplements vs statins, is that they actually adress the issue instead of putting a band-aid on it.

Good luck and if you follow that protocol, than please let me know how things work out.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Vitamins c and e have anti-inflammatory properties,vitamin d taken with calcium to aid the body in the absorption of calcium,also healthy fats can help.Statins for treatment of osteoarthritis? that's not something I've ever seen done statins are for treatment of hypercholesterolemia,I have heard that statins may be able to prevent inflammation in blood vessels and capilaries which would help in the prevention of strokes and heart attacks and even aid in the treatment of alzheimers disease, but I was not aware they were used to treat oa.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

h19
I do believe genetics play a role. how is his weight? it's pretty much common sense but less bodyweight = less stress on weight bearing joints.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
drugs on the market such as fosamax and actonel

Sorry, I should have said drugs not statin drugs.

Yes, vitamin C is a good anti inflammatory that I forgot to mention however, if you want something even more effective for inflammation and regeneration of cartillage, use the search option and find my post listed above, you can look up the supplements on your own and if you can find anything more effective than the products I listed, than please let me know.

crzyakta

Awards
I would also work to greatly reduce PGE-2 synthesis and concentration while boosting PGE-1,3

do this by taking a source of GLA with fish oil...borage oil has a very high GLA content...take with meals, 2-3 times a day

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I do believe genetics play a role. how is his weight? it's pretty much common sense but less bodyweight = less stress on weight bearing joints.

his body weight is good...he's one of those guys that is ALWAYS lean and has abs and what not without even trying...can eat nothing but big macs and not gain an ounce...

good info though guys thanks.

h19

steve777

Awards
When it comes to inflammation, look into antioxidants, especially grape seed xtract and R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid by Life Extention. For regeneration of cartillage look for GLC 2000. As far as calcium is concerned than I would suggest nothing other than Calcium Mineral Formula by Roex.

For your own benefit, use the 'search' option and type in.... 2800mg

Then click on page 3 of the second link entitled.... The battle to get back to normal

The products listed here and on that page will work synergistically with each other to combat the problem.

After a little time, you can expect great results with these supplements without the negatives from the statin drugs. The other advantage to the supplements vs statins, is that they actually adress the issue instead of putting a band-aid on it.

Good luck and if you follow that protocol, than please let me know how things work out.
Couldn't find this thread. Can you post a link? I am interested in the sups listed for OA.
thanks

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
bumping this old thread to see if anyone here has this? I was just told I have osteoarthritis in my hip because of a broken femur. anyone know of otc treatment or supps that help alleviate pain?

sprintsss

Banned
Awards
Low dose naltrexone

Jarrow bone up ultra

Fish oil

Boron

sprintsss

Banned
Awards
naltrexone for opioid addiction?

Yes but not thr same dosage for opioid addiction they use 50-150mg

We are talking about the most 4.5mg

Google low dose naltrexone and read up

No its not OTC but easily can be purchased online

uforce

uforce

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
osteoarthritis in both hips crew checking in

uforce

uforce

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
well, recently i was prescribed mobic. however, it cannot be taken daily as problems with the liver start to occur.

one thing that has honestly taken the edge off of the pain is a combo of CL Orange Triad, oximega fish oil, and NOW's celadrin (caps. haven't tried the topical). I'm not just pimping their products. my pain has become severe enough, that I can notice a difference. 800mg Motrin's work too, but they are prescription and basically fall under the same category as mobic. Something else that seems to help me (may be placebo, idk), but my wife occasionally rubs castor oil on and around my hips. Oh, and something else I liked was Epharm's Joint Force Spray don't know if you can still buy it.

I'm also currently running a joint product beta for Scivation. I'm about 7 days in, and I'll will tell you it's looking very promising. :)