Novice Powerlifter (pre comp) program advice

Rodel

Awards
Hey guys! Looking for alittle help on programming. Alittle bit of background on where I currently stand for lifts is:
Squat: 455
Bench: 315
Deadlift: 525
Height/ BW 5’10 195lbs
Yeah not impressive but that’s why I’m here asking for advice. I’m planning on competing in my bases powerlifting competition in May and I want to be able to get as strong as possibly as quickly yet safely and injury free as I can. I don’t currently follow a program and my day to day usually consists of me working up to a heavy single (90-95%) then backing down to working sets of 5x3 or 3x8 depending on the lift and day. As you can see I have no guidance and I’m starting to feel beat up to where I’m currently backing off the weight but nervous that I’ll get weaker if I don’t lift heavy for a week or two. I’m hungry to be the best I can and I know I have a chance at winning since they are using the Wilks scale but I need a **** ton of help (specially with that weak ass bench) to secure a top three spot. Any program advice from any experienced lifters will be greatly appreciated!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That isn't a ton of time, but lets see what we can help you get worked out.

First check out Average to Savage 2.0. The full thing is longer than you have time for so you could just try to shorten it, especially if you do a final taper at the end leading to the meet. This can be purchased for as little as $5 and gives tons of options based on how frequent you want to train and is auto-regulated to help you continue to progress.

You could also try the JTS AI Coaching. I don't know as many who have used it, but Chad and Max have been pretty beneficial to me in the past so it is one of the areas I'd turn if I returned to Powerlifting.

Or if you don't want to buy anything then check out Andy's Intermediate Programs and try to piece together a peaking plan 3-4 weeks out.

That is just the tip of the iceberg though, there are SOOOO many options for powerlifting advice out there so don't take my opinions as the end all, but maybe gets you thinking. After that if the PL bug bites you and you want to do more competitions you should check out some options for longer term planning.

Rodel

Awards

First check out Average to Savage 2.0. The full thing is longer than you have time for so you could just try to shorten it, especially if you do a final taper at the end leading to the meet. This can be purchased for as little as $5 and gives tons of options based on how frequent you want to train and is auto-regulated to help you continue to progress.

You could also try the JTS AI Coaching. I don't know as many who have used it, but Chad and Max have been pretty beneficial to me in the past so it is one of the areas I'd turn if I returned to Powerlifting.

Or if you don't want to buy anything then check out Andy's Intermediate Programs and try to piece together a peaking plan 3-4 weeks out.

That is just the tip of the iceberg though, there are SOOOO many options for powerlifting advice out there so don't take my opinions as the end all, but maybe gets you thinking. After that if the PL bug bites you and you want to do more competitions you should check out some options for longer term planning.
Thanks man! I appreciate all the input! Yeah it sucks that I barely have time to prep, but I’ll do the research and look into those suggestions to see if I can find something that get me closer to my goals and ready for May

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I could direct you to a program to follow and if you'd like, and later today, I can leave you a list of. Start researching peaking for a powerlifting meet. There's several good articles in the first search results on google.

(Edit: Resolve beat me to it, look at what he's said)

But in general, now, focus on your power lifts/variants in the 75-90% range, 10-20 sets a week, in the 3-6 rep range. Make sure your assistance work is meeting a need. Bump weight up 2.5-5% weekly. Then before you begin a peak, take a deload then do:
4 weeks from the meet, get some doubles in with 90ish %, normal assistance work
3 weeks out, singles with 95%, scale back on assistance volume
2 weeks out do your openers
Meet week, stay under 70%

Your openers should be something you can walk into the gym, on a bad day, underslept, and have a cold, and be able to triple still. Openers keep you in the meet. 2nds and 3rds build your total and set PRs.

This is just one of the multiple ways of doing it. This may not be the best way and may not be the worst way.

Last edited:
Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I'd like to echo this post, especially Average to Sav 2.0. He only asks for a 5 dollar donation and Greg Nuckols is brilliant. Resolve gave you great options to look at.

Another Greg Nuckols option is "The Journey" https://www.strongerbyscience.com/complete-strength-training-guide/

Put in your email and you'll be sent a free zjp drive of beginner/intermediate/and advanced templates as well as a guide. I'd prefer the program @Resolve10 posted but like he said, the meet is coming up, and this is just another option given a short timeline.

What I wrote out is pretty general, but also inline with "The Journey" because it's something I always look at when I need to tell myself to keep things simple

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Listen to that guy above he's super strong and smart with his training. I think he about covered what you'd need for now. 👍

Rodel

Awards
I'd like to echo this post, especially Average to Sav 2.0. He only asks for a 5 dollar donation and Greg Nuckols is brilliant. Resolve gave you great options to look at.

Another Greg Nuckols option is "The Journey" https://www.strongerbyscience.com/complete-strength-training-guide/

Put in your email and you'll be sent a free zjp drive of beginner/intermediate/and advanced templates as well as a guide. I'd prefer the program @Resolve10 posted but like he said, the meet is coming up, and this is just another option given a short timeline.

What I wrote out is pretty general, but also inline with "The Journey" because it's something I always look at when I need to tell myself to keep things simple
Hell yeah thanks! I’m excited to see where I could go! Even if I don’t have a lot of time til May I’m still going to keep grinding for the next meet. I just realistically want to be in the 1500’s (hopefully) by then

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hell yeah thanks! I’m excited to see where I could go! Even if I don’t have a lot of time til May I’m still going to keep grinding for the next meet. I just realistically want to be in the 1500’s (hopefully) by then
So how did this turn out for you? Did your base even have the meet?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So how did this turn out for you? Did your base even have the meet?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
35 and Older 9
35 and Older 0
Training Forum 7
Training Forum 1
Weight Loss 3