Newbies - read this first!

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
[size=+1]Common Fitness Myths[/size]

Myth 1. If you want to get lean, you should focus all of your attention on cardio and/or do high reps/low weight.

Wrong as weight training will help you retain the muscle you currently have and help prevent your BMR (basal metabolic rate) from slowing down. You want to keep lifting the same weights in order to maintain your strength, so that you don't lose that muscle you worked so hard for. [Note - Sometimes higher reps/lower weight are used for specific purposes, eg. a depletion workout within a carb-cycling plan]

Myth 2. Abdominal muscle require daily training with high reps.

If you want well defined abdominals work them at most twice a week with weights. Cable crunches and weighted swiss ball crunches are great. To maximize the effectiveness of crunches, do NOT relax your abs through the negative portion of the lift, and pause at maximum contraction.

Myth 3. Getting a toned look involves using those little pink dumbbells.

Firstly, to see muscle tone, you have to have a good base to start with. Lifting weights can give you this base. There is NO fear of getting huge, as women don't have the testosterone levels of men. You can stop increasing weights when you are happy with the amount of muscle you have.

After you have the base, you will have to lower your bodyfat to see that muscle. This can be done with cardio and diet.

[size=+1]Common Pitfalls[/size]

1. Relying too much on the scale.
Bodyweight changes in response to food, sodium intake, and water intake. For females, there can also be a large increase in bodyweight due to water retention during the menstrual cycle. When you begin a weightlifting routine, within the first few months you may gain several pounds due to increased glycogen and water storage of the muscles. Muscle is more dense than fat, so 1 lb of muscle takes up space than 1 lb of fat. This means you can weigh more and still be leaner. Remember, it is fat loss that is important, not weight loss (as weight includes muscle).

I find the scale is a decent tool for those who have a lot of weight to lose, as they typically will lose fat faster than they can gain muscle. However, if you are closer to your optimal bodyweight, it will become more important to go by how your clothes fit, and how you look in the mirror. You can also take measurements with a measuring tape. I can tell I am losing fat by tracking my waist, butt, and thigh measurements.

2. Unrealistic Goals/Expectations
Set your short term goals realistically. For fat loss, you shouldn't expect to lose more than 1% of your bodyweight per week. For lean body mass gain, a newbie can gain about 1 lb per week. An intermediate lifter can gain about 2 lbs per month.

3. All or nothing approach
If you've went outside of your diet, or missed a training day, dust yourself off, and pick up where you left off. Try not to dwell on it. The quicker you get back on track, the better off you will be. 1 cookie eaten does not mean you have failed.

[size=+1]Female fitness links[/size]

HotNFit.com - Fitness, Weightlifting, Nutrition and Supplements. (my site)

Women's Weight Training

[size=+1]Articles on AM[/size]
26 gym hacks you probably don't use

Should women train like men?

Female fitness trainers

Female fitness and bodybuilding - any woman can!

Female body shapes: which are you?

Fat loss basics

Women at the gym

How useful is scale weight?

Women and weight training

Gender and Fat Loss

Last edited:
asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I think it also depends on how your diet matches with your training. E.g, if you're doing a depletion workout and on low carbs then it would be worthwhile doing higher reps with low weight.

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
I think it also depends on how your diet matches with your training. E.g, if you're doing a depletion workout and on low carbs then it would be worthwhile doing higher reps with low weight.
Definitely! Thanks AB :)

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Good to see you helping out over here terra!

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Sweet. A good ref. I be newbie and I'll make sure I go over that stuff.:D

pyneaplesexwa

pyneaplesexwa

Awards
runnnn

whats your advice for long distance run, i anaverge of 2 - 3 hours a day spread out, I'm lookign to run more solid and longer without tiring out, any advice?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Myth 3. Getting a toned look involves using those little pink dumbbells.

There is NO fear of getting huge,

Sorry if this is an estrogen only zone but i thought this was a great write up.

Its nice to see girls helping each other. Maybe im jaded, because of the area i now live in, but most of my friends who are girls are less than kind to one another. Especially when it's a friend whose not in shape.

moi

Awards
thanks for this post. this will be helpful to newbies like me :)

madiskinny

madiskinny

Awards
I'd say the single most important thing is diet. You can train super hard but you won't be seeing the best possible results if your diet isn't on point!

lionessbody

Awards
Great post! An "iifym" myth buster should be up there, too. Sure, you can cheat the diet for a while and get decent results, but why start the bad habit? Women who want flat stomachs and toned arms aren't going to get it off a sugar-loaded diet. And I loved your comment about natural cycles affecting water retention. Just don't use your naturally "fluffy" week to over-glycogen! Haha. Remember, sugar affects estrogen and testosterone balance.

karenduff

karenduff

Awards

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Simple is best! trying to not overthink is a kind of training in itself. :)

babeck828

Awards
New to the site! Excited to learn from other girls in the fitness world!

mrs_conner

mrs_conner

Awards
I'm new here. Thanks for the post!! I started my journey in the gym September 4th so I'm a new-newbie. I feel blessed to have learned all of the above prior to starting. It's been a massive help and the results have kept me motivated.

Swolebooty

Swolebooty

Awards
Thanks for this post. It is refreshing to see an area that is geared for females. New to this site. Hope to learn so much more then just trying to “google” all the time.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for this post. It is refreshing to see an area that is geared for females. New to this site. Hope to learn so much more then just trying to “google” all the time.
There’s a lot of resources here so ask questions anytime and let’s all keep growing together! Welcome to AMs!

Danij08

Awards
I’m a newbie on here! I have always struggled with weight my whole life even tho I was an athlete up until mid college. At 22 I joined the military and still struggled a little with weight but I drank a lot. I always was about 155 ( my dream goal is 135) and I’m 5,3. I got pregnant last July and got out 4 month ago. I’m 6 months pp and I still have 15 pounds to loose to be back at 155..... the day I gave birth I was 198. Currently I am struggling. I finally broke 170 the other week but I am having such a hard time mentally and physically. My husband is in the military as well and we came up with a plan and 3 days a week I go to CrossFit and I do walks weather permitting. My eating is okay ( also have always struggled with binge eating but I am so much better and haven’t done it since giving birth ) currently trying to do keto diet. Mentally I’m just beating myself up every time I see a picture or look in the mirror. I have very low self esteem and I’m doing my best ( also full time nursing student). I am eating about 1500 cals a day, sometimes less. I did buy some clen but I’m kinda scared to use it. Should I do more cardio instead of CrossFit? If I can I try to do more than 3 days but I get 3 days and my husband gets 3 days. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a long post and I am sorry!!!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’m a newbie on here! I have always struggled with weight my whole life even tho I was an athlete up until mid college. At 22 I joined the military and still struggled a little with weight but I drank a lot. I always was about 155 ( my dream goal is 135) and I’m 5,3. I got pregnant last July and got out 4 month ago. I’m 6 months pp and I still have 15 pounds to loose to be back at 155..... the day I gave birth I was 198. Currently I am struggling. I finally broke 170 the other week but I am having such a hard time mentally and physically. My husband is in the military as well and we came up with a plan and 3 days a week I go to CrossFit and I do walks weather permitting. My eating is okay ( also have always struggled with binge eating but I am so much better and haven’t done it since giving birth ) currently trying to do keto diet. Mentally I’m just beating myself up every time I see a picture or look in the mirror. I have very low self esteem and I’m doing my best ( also full time nursing student). I am eating about 1500 cals a day, sometimes less. I did buy some clen but I’m kinda scared to use it. Should I do more cardio instead of CrossFit? If I can I try to do more than 3 days but I get 3 days and my husband gets 3 days. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a long post and I am sorry!!!
Lift weights, do cardio but not alot so as to maintain muscle mass. Try to get most of your calories from Protein. I would say something like 50% Protein, 30% Carbs, 20% Healthy Fats. And as far as Clen. I would say save it, or sell it. You don't need it right now. I would also recommend if you don't have one on your phone already, download a pedometer. So that you can track how active you are truly being through the day.

Alison22

Alison22

Awards
This was a very good read. I am glad to find out a female fitness space here.

DarleneHawkins

DarleneHawkins

Awards
Thanks so much for tips! Now I've found out about some false myths.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great thread